Washout at Dawlish

Take a look at the thread Stationmaster Mike linked to above - lots of detail, but basically it would go round the back of Dawlish AND Teignmouth....

agreed Rich but the previous post said after Teignmouth.

• RMweb Gold

IF (big if) an inland 'Dawlish avoiding line' is built, the route the GWR planned had the line going inland south of Newton Abott & tunnelling under the hill 'behind' Teignmouth, then with further tunnels & an embankment 'behind' Dawlish town, then 3 options joining the original route either near Dawlish Warren, Powderham (north of Starcross) or as far north as Exminster. No chance of a station at Teignmouth as it would be underground at that point; possible inland station serving Dawlish at the back end of the town.

It would still require the sea wall to be maintained, so it would make sense to keep the rail lines to provide income & serve the stations at Teignmouth & Dawlish towns. Express services would take the inland route, with locals taking  the coastal route. It might be sensible to reduce to single track, allowing more space between the sea & track to beef up the defenses. Pure speculation obviously, and disscussed already on the thread Mike linked above.....

• RMweb Gold

...and still some are more concerned about their privacy than security against future storms....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27798881

They ought to be glad that they still have a house.

Jamie

Maybe NR should put this stretch on a viaduct so that the sea can get in and wash away their houses - then they wouldn't need to worry about 'privacy'.  In the meanwhile what about the thousands of people going past in trains - or are they all looking at the sea?

• Like 5

An interesting little postscript to the Dawlish washout, the following is an extract of a letter in GWRJ in 2005. I had the magazine out to look for something else and continued browsing ...............

'Here, in the South-west, we were treated to several film clips of the GWR line between Teignmouth and Dawlish, with terrible seas breaking over trains and track. This was meant to be an example of what we can expect with rising sea temperatures, melting ice caps, increasing sea levels, etc. - all the usual alarmist predictions which make good news reports.'

Hmmm

Maybe Network Rail need to send them the bill for reinstating their private road!

And as for her saying-

Ann Large, who lives in Sea Lawn Terrace which sits on the site of the old house, said: "The world and his wife will be standing and gawping at the properties [if the wall is raised]."

Oh puhlease!

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

I find it amazing that having witnessed their house almost being washed away how any of the residents of those houses can be against improvemnets in the sea wall. They seem to live in a fluffy cloud, where the sea is now going to be calm for the rest of time... And to be honest, I don't see how anyone will be gawping at their house, as not only is it the best part of 50 foot away from the path, none of them have any outstanding feature. One has to presume that they bought the house on the premise of the private road and that no-one walks along in in front of their door.

It's people like this that are the reason that this country is now not a progressive one....

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I find it amazing that having witnessed their house almost being washed away how any of the residents of those houses can be against improvemnets in the sea wall. They seem to live in a fluffy cloud, where the sea is now going to be calm for the rest of time... 

Exactly. I know some people have a short memory, but this is ridiculous!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ann Large, who lives in Sea Lawn Terrace which sits on the site of the old house, said: "The world and his wife will be standing and gawping at the properties [if the wall is raised]."

Like my mother in-law would say-

Who's gona stop the horses to look at you?

Some people really do need to get a bloody grip on reality! :banghead:

• Like 2

No  problem

A  60  foot  high  screen  wall  between  the  railway  and  their property  would  ensure  nobody  from  the  sea  wall  (or  the  trains)  can  see  their  house.

I  suspect  they  would  complain  about  that  however.

Pete 

• Like 4

There was mention at one point that the newly raised section could be a metre or so lower than the height of the existing walkway. Has that idea now been dropped (sorry no pun intended)? I guess one issue would be providing steps or a ramp between the two levels. The problem with a ramp is that it could become very slippery at this location and steps inhibit buggies and wheelchairs.

I guess it wouldn't take much to rig up a few scaffold planks to the height of the proposed walkway and a dummy fence, if any, between it and the railway, and invite the residents to stand and stare at their houses, let them see for themselves that it may not be as bad as they think it maybe. Given a choice, I guess nobody likes change 'forced' onto them. I believe Brunel agreed to keep the walkway lower, so why not now, is prossibly the residents' thoughts. Best to get it sorted out sooner, rather than later . The goodwill gained in the work carried out so far, will count for little, if the final result is disappointment.

It's probably a nuisance to some, the drivers that sound off at the beach cam.

Best wishes,

Ray

People come up with ludicrous complaints when something is going to happen near them ,not railway but round here a new crem has been agreed but one resident said it should not happen because it would  make her  depressed ,she is reportedly a normal person.

• RMweb Gold

I guess it wouldn't take much to rig up a few scaffold planks to the height of the proposed walkway and a dummy fence, if any, between it and the railway, and invite the residents to stand and stare at their houses, let them see for themselves that it may not be as bad as they think it maybe. Given a choice, I guess nobody likes change 'forced' onto them. I believe Brunel agreed to keep the walkway lower, so why not now, is prossibly the residents' thoughts. Best to get it sorted out sooner, rather than later . The goodwill gained in the work carried out so far, will count for little, if the final result is disappointment.

It's probably a nuisance to some, the drivers that sound off at the beach cam.

Best wishes,

Ray

In view of their very recently nearly making an unwanted trip out to sea in their front rooms I would have thought that the residents would be rather keen on anything which reduces the risk of such an excursion happening in the future.  Maybe this pair fancy a swim without having to walk to the beach?

• Like 1

There was mention at one point that the newly raised section could be a metre or so lower than the height of the existing walkway. Has that idea now been dropped (sorry no pun intended)? I guess one issue would be providing steps or a ramp between the two levels. The problem with a ramp is that it could become very slippery at this location and steps inhibit buggies and wheelchairs.

Just get them to stand on the containers....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd definitely not heard that, but I will make enquiries.