Washout at Dawlish

Sat 1.30 pm placing 'L' into position

& checking with spirit level

loading at Warren compound - using the emergency crossing

close up

& off down the track

why cant I insert my photos in position in the text???????????????

post-22449-0-09558900-1425765874_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-30004600-1425765998_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-39617600-1425766039.jpg

post-22449-0-21944800-1425766128.jpg

post-22449-0-35537600-1425766168.jpg

• Like 8

Posted from photo on Dawlish Beach Cam, ( free viewing till Sun pm )

obvious insider photo

thanks buddy ( or buddyess)

lots of 'L's placed & now ready for reinforcing cages/drainage systems etc

putting in place ready for pouring concrete 

those heavy steel joists in my earlier post ( yesterday)

are 'Lintels' to go over drainage outfalls

to give them plenty of protection from the enormous weight

of concrete poured over them,,  so I was told today

post-22449-0-40577700-1425767111.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Don,

Many thanks for documenting the process over the past months.

Very handy for those of us many miles away.

Cheers, Pete.

Indeed Pete.

Let's not overlook Don's mobility issues as well.  Something many of us would perhaps barely give a nod to yet some are obliged to live with.

We have a unique record of many month's worth of work here in all weathers which will result in a more resilient railway, a safer future for those homes overlooking it and the sea and a much improved and all-sates-of-the-tide walkway.  

Does RMweb offer awards?  Perhaps we should instigate one for outstanding services to our community.

• Like 1

Indeed Pete.

Let's not overlook Don's mobility issues as well.  Something many of us would perhaps barely give a nod to yet some are obliged to live with.

We have a unique record of many month's worth of work here in all weathers which will result in a more resilient railway, a safer future for those homes overlooking it and the sea and a much improved and all-sates-of-the-tide walkway.  

Does RMweb offer awards?  Perhaps we should instigate one for outstanding services to our community.

As one who has followed the drama then reconstruction from afar, can I add my thanks to all the contributers to this thread especially Don, whose attention to the reconstruction has been so revealing to all. I for one would vote for him in any outstanding award competition.

Corsaire

6.55 am today

Sunrise at Dawlish Viaduct

post-22449-0-72602300-1425899520_thumb.jpg

Joined by someone who, jumped out of car took a quick snap, then drove off again

post-22449-0-33402500-1425899603_thumb.jpg

Seajack 3 in Teigmouth this end of deck cleared of  tackle

post-22449-0-26587200-1425899700_thumb.jpg

Still gear this end to remove before real dismantling can start

post-22449-0-14328600-1425899811_thumb.jpg

you can see the size of the fender much clearer from this angle

post-22449-0-46331200-1425899883_thumb.jpg

the ship along side unloading Fertaliser is the 'Paper Moon'

post-22449-0-23921500-1425900024_thumb.jpg

so then at Dawlish, from this angle, looks like they almost joined up at the north end

post-22449-0-74116700-1425900255_thumb.jpg

BUT  looking from the other end, Rockstone bridge,

there is still a gap

post-22449-0-57294300-1425900419.jpg

there is a step in the foundation  suggesting the hole may be filled with shuttering to finish

BUT  

that last 'L' has a tongue on this end suggesting that there may be another 'L' to go in

which would require packing up before placing it

Time will tell

there was no sign of activity of tugs at Teignmouth, to go & move JUB 1 to the south end yet

could be they have to lift reinforcing cages into place first before crane goes South!!

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 4

They must have done a great deal of pouring  today,

coming past the traffic lights on Exeter road, there were 5 mixer wagons in side the cones,

one more just left & off towards Exeter

& another full one approaching from Exeter to join the queue

that's 7 in total in just a short space!!

• RMweb Gold

Is that because the sleeper runs on Sunday night but not on Saturday?

I suppose it also means the knock-on effects of any over-run don't affect Monday's traffic.

I think the reason is to do with the 'rules' for planning possessions on a longer 'line of route', because Bathampton to Thingley Junction is blocked on the same Sundays for engineering works.

• RMweb Gold

beside a rather beefy forklift

One of the biggest forklifts in the country, lifting capacity 28 tons.

also some rather hefty steel welded construction special joists

These are being used in connection with where the L sections pass over an active drainage system, which prevents the drilling of normal anchor points for the L sections

one of their items are precast concrete floor panels for buildings

wonder IF they are to be used in the top layer of walkway??

The tops of the walkways will be poured concrete onto reinforced steel mesh.

These are being used in connection with where the L sections pass over an active drainage system, which prevents the drilling of normal anchor points for the L sections

That may explain the post fabrication holes burnt with a thermal torch,

as if no anchor point vertically downwards ( where the drains are) presumably the said 'L's would have to be bolted to the JOISTS

which would also be also/either fixed to the other 'L's each side or JOISTS   long pinned themselves

No wonder they are beefy joists

• RMweb Gold

That may explain the post fabrication holes burnt with a thermal torch,

as if no anchor point vertically downwards ( where the drains are) presumably the said 'L's would have to be bolted to the JOISTS

which would also be also/either fixed to the other 'L's each side or JOISTS   long pinned themselves

No wonder they are beefy joists

They are being pinned either side with extra long anchors.

Coryton Cove, contractors have nearly finished the parapet to the seawall walk, just another coat of paint

new stainless rails gleaming, well they would be if the sun was shining!

post-22449-0-11509800-1426273950_thumb.jpg

Breakwater at Coryton Cove is breaking up

post-22449-0-23471200-1426275193_thumb.jpg

Masonry missing here

post-22449-0-78835400-1426275385_thumb.jpg

& here

post-22449-0-48044400-1426275411_thumb.jpg

new grafitti apeared by the Coryton toilets

post-22449-0-01893100-1426275504_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-73181000-1426275556_thumb.jpg

Coastguards  2 machines parked up

post-22449-0-67889000-1426275615_thumb.jpg

sea air salt water sand shingle, taking its toll on the gear

post-22449-0-10666900-1426275701_thumb.jpg 

comment from one operative

when the plant is finished with on here, it will be fit for scrapping!!

post-22449-0-18061700-1426275771_thumb.jpg

other digger, the Case has the drilling rig on it

post-22449-0-62645500-1426275979_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-48986200-1426276265_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-30449800-1426276480_thumb.jpg

And guys rock climbing, probably  grouting the joints with mastic.

post-22449-0-18229800-1426276956_thumb.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 8

Granite the grafitti in your report looks like a Banksy, if you have time can you get the council art's people to check it out just in case. It would be a shame to clean it up or paint over it!  I think there was an earlier one done down there and cleaned/covered up by the council.

Click on link for some examples of his work:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=Banksy&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9f4DVZv5EoK6ad7CgrAN&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=641

Corsaire.

• Like 1

Granite the grafitti in your report looks like a Banksy, if you have time can you get the council art's people to check it out just in case. It would be a shame to clean it up or paint over it!  I think there was an earlier one done down there and cleaned/covered up by the council.

Click on link for some examples of his work:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=Banksy&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9f4DVZv5EoK6ad7CgrAN&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=641

Corsaire.

The one done last year by the footbridge is still there. that one was not a Banksy, it was reputed to have been done by a local from Teignmouth, so the likelyhood is this one is by the same person

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to be a grumpy old git at this point and say that the graffiti is an act of criminal vandalism, and if I had a pot of paint with me when I last visited the London-end of Kennaway Tunnel, I'd have painted out the bit that's on NR property.

Somehow 'grouting the joints with mastic' seems a little trivial compared with what may assail them next time! Hope it works!!

Brian.

Keep the faith, my friend, it will.

• Like 3

Somehow 'grouting the joints with mastic' seems a little trivial compared with what may assail them next time! Hope it works!!

Brian.

Was recently down Dawlish Warren & saw the seawall parapet joints where the rock armour is, And seeing   them use mastic & smoothing it out with a piece of white plastic tubing 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to be a grumpy old git at this point and say that the graffiti is an act of criminal vandalism, and if I had a pot of paint with me when I last visited the London-end of Kennaway Tunnel, I'd have painted out the bit that's on NR property.

Keep the faith, my friend, it will.

Have to agree with my good colleague, no matter what form it takes, its still vandalism when you deface someone else's property.

Matters not a jot how 'good' it is or otherwise.

Quoted from Dawlish Beach page

"An evening shot of the drilling unit and digger making their way to the ramp end. I have some updated info for you too!

SeaRiser4 looks unlikely to move until wed/thurs due to low water and as always will be subject to weather conditions. Good progress was made over the weekend with 80m3 plus of concrete poured via the static line system and the rebar placed over the weekend was for the foundation section of the parapets in the old breach section - lots more concrete pours planned for this week whilst we wait on the tide to move SeaRiser4. The drilling is nearing completion at our end of the site. The guys are still a long way off completing the whole job with all the parapet works, tie ins at both ends and new steps to both end yet to be commenced the Orange Army won't be retreating any time soon!
Many thanks to our nameless friend! SD"

Now I had understood, maybe mistakenly, that there was going to be ramps at both ends, 

not steps.  Anyone any 'concrete' info on this 

Edited by Granitechops

Now I had understood, maybe mistakenly, that there was going to be ramps at both ends, 

not steps.  Anyone any 'concrete' info on this 

Steps to the beach at both ends and level access along the path. Hope that clarifys. SD

• RMweb Gold

Steps to the beach at both ends and level access along the path. Hope that clarifys. SD

That makes sense to me, too. Having checked, the new steps Don describes merely seem to be matching the stepped access to the beach that existed previously.