Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

After yesterdays botch-up, didn't they re-think moving 'Jack would have been a better option being lighter and more maneuverable?

Why you feel the need to refer to it as a 'botch up', I don't know. Sometime things happen, but I have every confidence in the team, they are extremely professional and are not permitted to take any chances whatsoever with sea conditions etc.

JUB2 may move round to Teignmouth later this afternoon, but sea conditions are already described as not ideal, so it will depend on the weather.

• Like 5

Because with something so well planned it took time to realize the operation would fail. Just used the word for want of another that's all. Just seemed a pointless attempt that had lots of us on the edge of our seats, mostly guessing what was going on.

Sorry if the post was poorly worded.

Because with something so well planned it took time to realize the operation would fail. Just used the word for want of another that's all. Just seemed a pointless attempt that had lots of us on the edge of our seats, mostly guessing what was going on.

I am inclined to agree with you watching the tugs turn up with L shapes only to be sent away without unloading several times as if there is no means of contact between JUB and tugs. There is probably a very good reason for this like the launch brings the person with the final word on unloading and he has to see what is happening on site. I do not want to criticise any one involved in this very difficult operation just a laymans observation from the comfort of my sitting room.

The thing is with an operation as complex as time & tide & swell & wind et al

you have  to have the tools ready to hand to use immediately they are needed

I believe that with the neap tides at the weekend there was only a predicted difference between high & low tide of only 1.2 m

It would be impractical to contact tugs in Teignmouth docks, saying its good to go, 

& by the time they arrive off Dawlish conditions have deteriorated

having the tools on hand ready, primed to go, is likely to get the project finished as soon as possible

I suspect there is considerable pressure both from inside Network Rail,

and Public & commercial pressure groups to see this completed ASAP

Even experienced local fishermen have been caught out on occasion by sudden sea changes 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am inclined to agree with you watching the tugs turn up with L shapes only to be sent away without unloading several times as if there is no means of contact between JUB and tugs. There is probably a very good reason for this like the launch brings the person with the final word on unloading and he has to see what is happening on site. I do not want to criticise any one involved in this very difficult operation just a laymans observation from the comfort of my sitting room.

Fair enough, gents. There is a good reason for the anticipated actions not happening, and Don has illustrated the point well. The sea - being what it is - is so unpredictable that our guys simply can't afford to take any chances, if conditions have deteriorated, especially if they were becoming marginal to begin with. The whole safety risk assessment side of this operation quite rightly allows a considerable margin in terms of 'erring on the side of caution' - so if it isn't safe, they won't do it.

• Like 5

You're damned if you do etc.....brave efforts IMHO time and tide wait for no man!

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

Spoke to an orange operative (no ID, Logo etc. on his suit)

he said there was 30 units to go at the north end (rockstone end)

and 20 units to place at the south end

he reconed that 2 weeks will see them all done

this am there were 2 diggers working at the south end at the slope

& there was piles of DRY sand on the beach

SO,

are they perhaps digging out the slope ready to square up that end

to marry up the 'L' units to the original wall?

Just a guess on my part

piles of sand

post-22449-0-69401600-1425426370_thumb.jpg

gangway up on top of new construction

post-22449-0-38255000-1425426428_thumb.jpg

Seajack 3  looking lonely with Exmouth in the background

post-22449-0-70761900-1425426483_thumb.jpg

there were  2 mixer wagons unloading on Exeter road this am & a third on the road from Exeter

• Like 5

Amazing pics as ever Don! I had wondered if they were demolishing the ramp as the diggers have been busy working that end. Your pic shows it still intact and looks as if there may be anchor points going up. Just for info if anyone is interested, we have a free to view period until Sunday evening on Dawlish Beach Cam should any of you wish to view. I am guessing that we will get the Seariser moved and the Seajack leaving around 6pm this evening (Weds) www.dawlishbeach.com/now

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Amazing technology!

With my feet up and enjoying a late night beer I'm sitting watching the ripples roll in and the occasional gull fly by, waiting for the 13-minutes late (thanks Realtime Trains) down Cornish Riviera to come past the webcam at Dawlish.

And all from my hobby workroom in Australia :D

• Like 12

Anybody know what they will do when they get to the slipway at the Old Lifeboat House?

there is a slope down & then back up again before getting to the higher walk way

I ask purely for selfish reasons

if it is left as it is it will be liable to fill with shingle/sand as it does now sometimes 2-3 ft deep

& wheelchairs, prams, buggies zimmer frames, strollers, etc.  will have great difficulty if not impossible getting through it

The headlines for the forth coming Spotlight lunchtime news suggest that further problems have been found with the sea wall.

I will put up a further post after I have seen the report.

Didnt see the programme, but I did meet the BBC camera man

on his way down to the site early today (9.30 am ish)

• Like 2

from Simon on Dawlish Beach Webcam, who have a FREE view period over this weekend coming.

"Wall Update for you with many thanks to my sources 

smile emoticon

As Saturday will see no normal rail traffic possession has been handed over to the Orange Army. L sections will be arriving via the RRV on site to speed up installation. The two ends will have shuttering placed between old and new, the void will be filled with reinforcing cages and a mass concrete pour will take place to join the new and old together. Saturday looks busy on the cam considering there will be no trains! Please make sure you take advantage of our birthday offer and come take a peek! We hope this information is useful and will hopefully aid in getting the wall open to the public in May. SD"

His photo

post-22449-0-41196100-1425658615.jpg

Thanks Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As Saturday will see no normal rail traffic possession has been handed over to the Orange Army.

Quite apart from the work at Dawlish, the possession (Exeter St Thomas to Lipson Jct) is a relatively unusual one, in that it starts tonight (Friday night) - well 0400 Sat morning in fact, and gives up at 0955 hrs on Sunday morning. More common is a Saturday night to Monday morning possession.

Other key work sites are relaying at Dainton and civil engineering works to two bridge structures near Cornwood.

• Like 1

Went to Polly Steps Teignmouth to see how they were dismantling  JUB 2- Seajack3

seems they had only just started to move ansiliaries

the Huge fender, 5ft diam? was already on the dockside

Went down Dawlish warren expecting to see much activity,

like 'L' units arriving by road,

but about 4pm ish all was quiet

the approach road to load the road/railers was protected along the edges with heavy barriers

oops seem to be having trouble with this windows 8.1, add to post button wont work,

wont add pics inline, only at end??

post-22449-0-46079800-1425683179_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-90314100-1425683542_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

OK lets try again, using my ( wont beat a Sloth XP, but familiar old friend  PC)

Went to Polly Steps Teignmouth early this am

to see how they were dismantling  JUB 2- Seajack3

seems they had only just started to move ansiliaries

the Huge fender, 5ft diam? was already on the dockside

post-22449-0-21013300-1425684615_thumb.jpg

lifting the steel zig zag steel ladder

post-22449-0-91976800-1425684663_thumb.jpg

& dropping it on the deck for bundling & securing for trsansport

post-22449-0-39884800-1425684750_thumb.jpg

Went down Dawlish warren expecting to see much activity,

like 'L' units arriving by road,

but about 4pm ish all was quiet

the approach road to load the road/railers was protected along the edges with heavy barriers

post-22449-0-34480900-1425684893_thumb.jpg

just 2 Ls in sight, beside a rather beefy forklift

post-22449-0-18349600-1425684941_thumb.jpg

numbered, but no tongue on this side

post-22449-0-55341400-1425685022_thumb.jpg

3inch? groove on other side

post-22449-0-98035700-1425685092_thumb.jpg

Arty shot of one 'L' through the locating hole of the other one!!

post-22449-0-30839900-1425685159_thumb.jpg

also some rather hefty steel welded construction special joists

post-22449-0-14297600-1425685238_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-80930200-1425685254_thumb.jpg

visible were several pallets of KINGSPAN products,

but couldn't get close enough to see what

one of their items are precast concrete floor panels for buildings

wonder IF they are to be used in the top layer of walkway??

post-22449-0-51078100-1425685409_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Quite apart from the work at Dawlish, the possession (Exeter St Thomas to Lipson Jct) is a relatively unusual one, in that it starts tonight (Friday night) - well 0400 Sat morning in fact, and gives up at 0955 hrs on Sunday morning. More common is a Saturday night to Monday morning possession.

Is that because the sleeper runs on Sunday night but not on Saturday?

I suppose it also means the knock-on effects of any over-run don't affect Monday's traffic.

Latest info. The final L is being put into position at Rockstone end this afternoon. Seariser will then move to ramp end when tide & weather permit at the start of the coming week. The last L will then be positioned and Seariser will return to Teignmouth within 7-14 days. The remaining work will be concluded over several weeks without any heavy plant needed. The walkway will be finished by concrete pour forming the new pathway and not precast slabs as previously thought. Some excellent site photos have just been posted on Dawlish Beach facebook page. Hope that helps to put some light on the final stages.

• Like 1

Amazing technology!

With my feet up and enjoying a late night beer I'm sitting watching the ripples roll in and the occasional gull fly by, waiting for the 13-minutes late (thanks Realtime Trains) down Cornish Riviera to come past the webcam at Dawlish.

And all from my hobby workroom in Australia :D

You're lucky, where we live the timing is not so good!

Brian.