Washout at Dawlish

I tried this yesterday but had problems. With the news of steps at each end I can't actually visualize how this works. So, in my old age I came up with a few ideas of my own as to how this MIGHT work. Sorry if it's nowhere near the mark, but it's just a whim and a vision lol.

Roger

post-25257-0-72467000-1426602546_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Whilst it is clear there is still much work to be done in phase 2, are there any plans for a phase 3 to improve resilience, e,g. Canadian Railway style covers (mini tunnels) west of Dawlish?

:)

Any major plans for future resilience are for consideration at a senior level within NR and the ORR. There is no 'phase 3' as such, also no one in the industry is referring to the current works as 'phase 2'. The current works where the low level walkway is being raised should be completed by early summer, after that it will be a case of on-going routine maintenance until such time as any further resilience is announced by the aforementioned senior parites.

Wall Update.
Now that the Seariser is in it's final position we should see the first of the remaining 18 L sections arrive by boat on this evenings high tide. They should all be in position by the weekend and then the Seariser is free to leave for port. If i have an exact day and time i will let you know. There is another closure this weekend from 4am saturday morning until 10am sunday so we should also see quite a bit of work undertaken from the trackside too.
The latest estimates for completion are now sometime in June but obviously this is always dependent on tide and weather conditions. 
The beach will remain out of bounds to the public until completion due to Health and Safety issues as some heavy plant may still be using the site. 

From my latest post on Dawlish Beachpost-25316-0-80660100-1426691346_thumb.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wall Update.

Now that the Seariser is in it's final position we should see the first of the remaining 18 L sections arrive by boat on this evenings high tide. 

Two barges with 2 'L' sections on each observed from the train this afternoon, bobbing along on the swell from Teignmouth to JUB1.

• Like 2

Any major plans for future resilience are for consideration at a senior level within NR and the ORR. There is no 'phase 3' as such, also no one in the industry is referring to the current works as 'phase 2'. The current works where the low level walkway is being raised should be completed by early summer, after that it will be a case of on-going routine maintenance until such time as any further resilience is announced by the aforementioned senior parites.

Until the sea blows a big hole in it somewhere else and the whole saga starts again! Sadly, it isn't a question of if this will happen but when.

ROB

Great find Mike!

Reminds me of 'It ain't half hot mum' concert party!

Reminds me of the Golder's Green Hippodrome in the 1950's. Our scout  group had a trip down to London every year to take in the sights and  Ralph Readers   show. Life was a lot simpler then and no suggestion of "creepy". 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Until the sea blows a big hole in it somewhere else and the whole saga starts again! Sadly, it isn't a question of if this will happen but when.

I'd be very interested to know whether you have any particular or unique insight into the likelihood of this happening, Rob, or whether this is purely speculation your part, please?

Well, tugs back, including Kingston at Teignmouth dock as the 'riser didn't move, possibly due to heavy swell. Gangway replaced on platform to wall and a little work done with jib. Army gone for a brunch by the looks of it.

Sorry, did I say jib instead of crane. Definitely the wrong shape lol.

Edited by Saintly1941

I'd be very interested to know whether you have any particular or unique insight into the likelihood of this happening, Rob, or whether this is purely speculation your part, please?

No insight but you'd have to be a VERY brave man to predict that this will not happen again. In battles between the sea and humankind we manage many glorious victories (and the amazing efforts to repair the wall this time around are one of those) but history tells us that the next defeat is always just around the corner.

ROB

It wants me to log in but doesn't offer the option to create a log-in ID

I started here:

http://www.lobsterpictures.tv/site-monitoring

then scrolled down to "Live Cameras".

It seems to do something odd with the url - whatever site you then select it still shows the same. Perhaps it is so the you can only get there via their front page.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

No insight but you'd have to be a VERY brave man to predict that this will not happen again. In battles between the sea and humankind we manage many glorious victories (and the amazing efforts to repair the wall this time around are one of those) but history tells us that the next defeat is always just around the corner.

ROB

Or perhaps one with the appropriate level of knowledge of the current condition of the wall...

As such, and in my personal opinion only, uninformed speculation forecasting woe and 'defeats' is not helpful.

Or perhaps one with the appropriate level of knowledge of the current condition of the wall...

As such, and in my personal opinion only, uninformed speculation forecasting woe and 'defeats' is not helpful.

Discussion on this forum is not going to affect the status of the wall and its maintenance one jot, be it helpful or unhelpful.

There is no slight intended against the men and women who battle to keep the wall serviceable year in year out. I believe they do the best they can possibly do and on many occasions go beyond what could reasonably be expected of them. However, I still believe that in the unequal battle with the sea there will inevitably be further setbacks. I also have no doubt that these setbacks will be overcome, one way or another.

ROB

• RMweb Gold

Discussion on this forum is not going to affect the status of the wall and its maintenance one jot, be it helpful or unhelpful.

I don't disagree with a bit of 'discussion', but adverse speculation on possible future events, which isn't based on a specific knowledge of the current status of the Wall and the way it is actually maintained and operated, cannot be helpful, and may engender a more gloomy outlook on the part of others reading this thread than might be the case.

No change there then as it's still a refreshed view every 15 minutes.

Well, the refresh is the same, but you can scroll back with a calendar, zoom in, and view the time-lapse until fairly recently.

This is what I am seeing right now, with the barge about to move off.

post-22572-0-53053400-1427143870_thumb.jpg