Hornby K1

davidw

I'll be waiting to see when the first wrecked / damaged one turns up on eBay.....

...to match it with half a Dave Bradwell kit?.

No, I want to see if it will beat the record held by a wrecked L1 which turned up on eBay within a month of the model being released.

There are some clumsy modellers out there.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi, this, I think is, finally, a return to Hornby at their best. I really am looking forward to this model now more than ever before! Lets just hope that it might also have a good set of axle  bearings - if not brass at least rounded.

All the best,

Market65.

Seeing as everyone's been restrained today and not pestered me I've done a quick K1 snap over a cuppa.

attachicon.gifK1_1000.jpg

Please bear in mind this is an EP sample with some revisions still to be possibly made and may not reflect all materials used in the finished product. Likely availability for this may be right at the end of the year or at the early part of next.

It certainly looks and sits very well capturing the real thing to a T. It's fair to say everyone was very taken with this.

It bodes very well for Hornby.

I wonder to what extent their tools being 'tied up' have had a bearing on this, because it really does look like B1 quality.

Cheers,

Rob

It really does look very smart, even more so in Andy's photo (thanks for posting it!) It certainly looks like the buffer heads are metal or at least very fine mouldings, whether they are sprung or not isn't clear but I imagine they are. The appearance of them, for me is more important than whether or not they are sprung and on appearance they win! The other fine details look very good and I'm glad I pre ordered when they were first announced and can't wait for mine to arrive! I'm tempted to renumber to 62005, but that decision can wait!

Cheers

J

Totally stunning model and cannot wait to get my hands on them - will have to renumber one as 62005. Though I am still waiting to see who will do her as 2005 in LNER Apple Green, Perhaps Chris Leigh and Model Rail could sort that one out for us?

Totally stunning model and cannot wait to get my hands on them - will have to renumber one as 62005. Though I am still waiting to see who will do her as 2005 in LNER Apple Green, Perhaps Chris Leigh and Model Rail could sort that one out for us?

I suspect the NELPG will be cornering the market for that one. I'm sure it will surface at some point, anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, mine will have to be renumbered as 62005 as well, since it was a regular at Market Weighton and also took part on The Whitby Moors Railtour on the 6th March, 1965. A very East Yorkshire engine for a good few years. Really am looking forward to it.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pic. Straight away I'm thinking that looks like B1 quality. Very nicely detailed, obviously some elements of the B1 cad work may have been reused? The tender is standard I believe with the B1 and it looks like the same pony truck shared with the L1 (and 8F before that).

The K1 was a good choice and I'm very much looking forward to it, even if I'm probably going to end up building a K1/1 straight away for it...!

Just noticed, a service sheet has been created for the K1, from which it appears the pony truck is pivoted in the conventional way rather than the L1 'two pins' arrangement (HSS 410 in the list of service sheets on the Hornby web site).

• Like 4

Just noticed, a service sheet has been created for the K1, from which it appears the pony truck is pivoted in the conventional way rather than the L1 'two pins' arrangement (HSS 410 in the list of service sheets on the Hornby web site).

Notice also the brass bearings on the axles and the chassis design looks standard in terms of layout with the previous B1 and L1 models. No reason to suggest this not being the case, I predict a lot of very happy modellers with this reversion to the tried, tested and excellent practice of pre-2013.

I am much happier about the forthcoming K1 now. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, it is looking great for  the K1 - especially with the chassis having brass bearings and a properly pivoted pony truck. I wonder if the pony truck can be retro-fitted to the L1 in future production runs. The video is yet more good news about this model. Looking forward to it even more now! Many thanks to Nelson Jackson for that link to the Hornby Facebook page, and to 31A for the service sheet details.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's generally very good, but one very clear RTR compromise is on view, cylinders (one assumes the other side is the same!) undersize in diameter. One of the easier things to correct on a RTR model, and probably usefully bob-on for a K4...

Hadn't noticed the cylinders 'til you said..  

• 1 month later...