Flooding of the railway on the Somerset Levels

• RMweb Gold

Is the line between Bridgwater and Cogload Junction still under water/closed?

Regards

Two feet in places. I don't expect it to open until the water level on the Moors drop considerably.

I'm sure that others with greater knowledge would be more specific.

• RMweb Gold

Two feet in places. I don't expect it to open until the water level on the Moors drop considerably.

I'm sure that others with greater knowledge would be more specific.

Yes, the water has gone down by a few inches only since the reports of it being 2 feet over the tops of the rails, was received last Sunday. Whichever way you look at it, this won't be a quick job. Once the water recedes sufficient to allow thorough and safe inspections, we will have to check the embankment that the track sits on, as well as the track and signalling, and then undertake all required remedial works. The signalling may well take longer to reinstate than the track - as was the experience at Cowley Bridge Jct last year - in which case trains would probably resume some kind of limited service under special working arrangements, once the earthworks and track side of it was declared fit for use.

At Penzance, the major damage was to signalling equipment, this requires a virtual complete rebuild and replacement of all location cabinets, their contents and I believe a lot of cable.

• RMweb Premium

At Penzance, the major damage was to signalling equipment, this requires a virtual complete rebuild and replacement of all location cabinets, their contents and I believe a lot of cable.

A far more realistic assessment than that which appeared in the local social media and newspapers: "Trans will start at St. Erth because a signal light has gone out at Penzance"

A little simplistic.  But perhaps playing to the audience.

• RMweb Gold

In the BBC report was this:

Dredging equipment will also be deployed on a 200m section of the River Parrett north of Coates Farm.

The agency said these are "key stretches" of waterway specifically identified by local people.

It would seem that, at last, they're listening to those who know..(indeed local knowledge that goes back generations)

What sticks in my mind was an EA spokesman on TV at the very beginning of all this who pompously implied that he and his management in the EA knew best and that dredging would not have made any difference.

• RMweb Gold

What sticks in my mind was an EA spokesman on TV at the very beginning of all this who pompously implied that he and his management in the EA knew best and that dredging would not have made any difference.

In a perfect world, there would, once life has returned to near-normal on the Levels, be a public enquiry into what happened and why.

An independent public enquiry would be good

Will last at least 3 years and allow all the lesser spotted green environmentalists to place their case for not spending the money on a suitable solution. Instead of getting on with the job no matter what and accepting the consequences. But that is probably the way it will go and when kicked into the bulrushes it will become some other politician's problem when/if ever it happens again. There either has to be committed action at virtually any cost (even if the consequences lead to further action) or to do nothing but endlessly discuss what is best (save the whales) and just tinker.

• RMweb Premium

Will last at least 3 years and allow all the lesser spotted green environmentalists to place their case for not spending the money on a suitable solution. Instead of getting on with the job no matter what and accepting the consequences. But that is probably the way it will go and when kicked into the bulrushes it will become some other politician's problem when/if ever it happens again. There either has to be committed action at virtually any cost (even if the consequences lead to further action) or to do nothing but endlessly discuss what is best (save the whales) and just tinker.

My suggestion of an independent public inquiry was to avoid that political stalling.

A friend's family has booked well in advance to travel to Guildford this Friday from Penzance (and return on Monday).

The first part from PZ to St Erth is by coach, there's apparently some track damage in the Longrock area.

He's not sure how many on and off coach changes will be involved in getting to Guildford, but he thinks it might be easier to take his family up there in the car, return for the weekend and go back up Monday and collect them.

My cousin who's staying in Dawlish looking after my very ill Aunt, came down from Lancaster a couple of weeks ago, the normal 5+ hour journey, took 10+ hours with coaches involved as well - She was knackered.

So, as someone who lives west of Penzance, let alone Plymouth, where the services have in the long term already been downsized (catering etc.,) I'm obviously hoping a good job will be done at Dawlish, not just reinstating the sea defences, but improving them, and of course across the Somerset levels too.    

As he has a car, wouldn't it be simpler for him to drive to St Erth and miss out the first coach transfer altogether? Even driving to Plymouth or Exeter would be much less driving involved than driving all the way to Guildford!

My suggestion of an independent public inquiry was to avoid that political stalling.

Understood, the trouble is that it is open to the public and all the uneducated, unresearched an d misunderstanding public to give their say. Such as why a drain should not be cleared, or a particular tree not felled because its roots have been growing in that river bank for millenia, or simply because it will spoil the view in my back yard. It is the political debate with the small 'p' that makes the 'p'ublic enquiry to drag on. I would rather some Politician to make a decision right or wrong then the next one to fix the fault (if any).

My suggestion of an enquiry was not about what to do next, but to find out why the problem arose and put someone's soft bits in the public mincer. It's called accountability, and is often curiously missing in public life.

But the causes are rarely down to one individual in public office or simply in the public. The "heads on a spike on Tower Bridge" is arcane and while welcomed back by the legal fraternity and compensation mentality it serves little purpose other than the individual lust for retribution.

The event at the centre of this is a weather system it is not man made. Perhaps the rivers could have been dredged or the river banks built up another 6 feet or so and maybe just maybe there would have been no flooding. But maybe that was thought of and dismissed in all the statistical odds of it never happening.

The past has passed, the boundaries have changed and so a decision needs to be based on revised odds of it happening again next year/next ten years/a lifetime/ever. Like all forms of insurance it comes down to risk of an event against the compensation and better use of the capital.

• RMweb Premium

Would millions be waste on an enquiry if that in turn identified underlying causes and averted disaster in the future through remedial action?

The cause is the amount of rain which fell.  The underlying cause of the flooding being so severe and persistent may be the lack of maintenance to the Drains.  Never ever underestimate generations-worth of local knowledge in the name of so-called expertise.

And to pick up on a point above the railway is closed between Penzance and St. Erth (other than for stock moves into and out of Long Rock under controlled conditions) because the storms have all but destroyed the signalling equipment along the sea wall.  For a trip from "west of Penzance" to Guildford I would suggest currently a drive up to St. Erth, train to Plymouth, bus transfer to Tiverton Parkway (which I believe is being used as a quicker option than going via Exeter) thence train to and change at Reading for another train to Guildford.  A bit fussy but until the breaches are repaired that's the state of play.  Do check on the day of travel as best advice changes as things progress.

...... For a trip from "west of Penzance" to Guildford I would suggest currently a drive up to St. Erth, train to Plymouth, bus transfer to Tiverton Parkway (which I believe is being used as a quicker option than going via Exeter) thence train to and change at Reading for another train to Guildford. .......

Gwiwer - I think they have settled on that route now.   There was a suggestion that my friend drives them up to Cartgate Services on the A303, A relation driving down from Guildford to meet them, and my friend returning home same day.

The plus side is he's home (alone) to go out with us lads for Music Friday and Saturday nights....

Swordie in Newlyn and Union Hotel + White Lion in PZ - Saga Louts  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Would millions be waste on an enquiry if that in turn identified underlying causes and averted disaster in the future through remedial action?

The cause is the amount of rain which fell.  The underlying cause of the flooding being so severe and persistent may be the lack of maintenance to the Drains.  Never ever underestimate generations-worth of local knowledge in the name of so-called expertise.

And to pick up on a point above the railway is closed between Penzance and St. Erth (other than for stock moves into and out of Long Rock under controlled conditions) because the storms have all but destroyed the signalling equipment along the sea wall.  For a trip from "west of Penzance" to Guildford I would suggest currently a drive up to St. Erth, train to Plymouth, bus transfer to Tiverton Parkway (which I believe is being used as a quicker option than going via Exeter) thence train to and change at Reading for another train to Guildford.  A bit fussy but until the breaches are repaired that's the state of play.  Do check on the day of travel as best advice changes as things progress.

Trains are still running to/from Exeter but the bus links work better at Tivvy Parkway because it is very close to the motorway whereas it generally takes about 20 minutes (sometimes much longer) to get into St Davids off the M5; continuing on to Tiverton is at least as quick and much more predictable.

Arranging things this way avoids the potential problem of trains leaving Exeter late (or on-time and nearly empty) because of delayed buses.

However, the easiest journey from Exeter is on SWT with one change at Woking which just leaves a ten minute hop to his final destination.

John

• RMweb Premium

However, the easiest journey from Exeter is on SWT with one change at Woking which just leaves a ten minute hop to his final destination.

John

Indeed, but I'd choose a Mk3 coach over sitting above a running DMU engine any day of the week.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if anyone saw it this mornin g but there was a piece on BBC Breakfast about the way that NR egineers were coping.  It was I thought very balanced and positive with some shots from the cab of the slip repairs ongoing near Crewekerne.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

And given that the enquiry related to a journey starting west of Penzance and that for London-bound passengers the buses are running between Plymouth and Tiverton Parkway (because that is the quickest easiest way using mostly motorway-standard roads) then Exeter is not the easiest option.

• RMweb Gold

And given that the enquiry related to a journey starting west of Penzance and that for London-bound passengers the buses are running between Plymouth and Tiverton Parkway (because that is the quickest easiest way using mostly motorway-standard roads) then Exeter is not the easiest option.

Transfer for Plymouth at Tiverton Parkway is way, way better than Exeter - far quicker overall and the only downside is lack of covered area at Tivvy Parkway when east/northbound on a rainy etc day.

Archived