RMWeb Members Day at Taunton 2014 - full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Those of us unable to attend are truly grateful for those who bothered to post their pics. David CV White's contribution is clearly a particularly good one, given his health issue, now successfully reversed, obviously. After several years of frustration seeing what a good time everyone has, I have made a mental note to be there - or be forever in despair. Here's to 2015.

April 26th 2015 .

Print that out and stick it to the fridge door ,

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for posting images - at least those of us unable to attend get a second hand version!

All the discussion of fancy shirts: I do particularly like Tim (CK)'s "Keep calm - rebuild the railway"

Is there an element of competitive shirt wearing creeping in? Will I need to go shoppingopen before next April to replace the drab effort in my avatar (which is still going strong after 9 years!) :P

Thanks to everyone for posting images - at least those of us unable to attend get a second hand version!

All the discussion of fancy shirts: I do particularly like Tim (CK)'s "Keep calm - rebuild the railway"

Is there an element of competitive shirt wearing creeping in? Will I need to go shoppingopen before next April to replace the drab effort in my avatar (which is still going strong after 9 years!) :P

If this IS a fancy dress opportunity......be prepared to be completely blown away next year!!

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with colour coded wiring is that it relies on folk following the code ;)

But phoenix will rise from the ashes as the track will go into next year's 'other end' fiddle yard (assuming the good Captain lets us back into the hall after running an almost exclusively multiple unit modular railway - very handy for our shuttle service operation).

Anyway as ever a great weekend topped by the usual superb mix we get on a Sunday - great company, some smashing modelling, plenty of tea, occasional pasties, vibrant sartorial inelegance, and even the opportunity to spend some money with the top notch traders the Captain invites along, oh and I almost forgot the auction (which I actually understood this year).

So a big well done - once again - to Tim (Captain Kernow) for organising this event, and I wonder what the Sarturday 'treat' will be next time round?

I'm surprised SWMBO Mrs 81C posed for the photo shoot she is nomally camera shy.

Please delete your disagree or SWMBO will be at your throat

Accidental Disagree removed and apology given as discussed in PM.

Andy Y - pleeeeze - put a more benign icon on the RH end.

It's dangerous having such a potentially inflamatory icon in this scrolling area on Tablets....

Randall

Edited to remove double quote...

Only 9 years? The trick is to buy t-shirts bearing the date of the event they were purchased at, so people can instantly see how old they are. I've got one Perfectly good which says "Plymouth - St Malo 2003". Maybe I'll wear it next year.

• RMweb Gold

Just to add my thanks and appreciation for a really great day out to Tim, Andy, the ladies in the kitchen and everyone else who helped out and attended.

One particularly nice aspect was the way in which tea and/or coffee was expertly offered and supplied by the very charming young people helping out in the kitchen. Apologies for not remembering names and I may have got this completely wrong but I think two were the children of Mozzer and Miss LMS, anyway, whoever they are they are all real credits to their respective parents.

The layouts and displays were great too, and the new auctioneer did a very good job indeed.

Chris and I discovered we shared the same provider of mobile card technology and had a fascinating conversation about roaming networks and T Mobile, or something like that......

And Baron Von Harrop gave me an absolutely top tip for turning wheels in a lathe without getting too bogged down in doing things too "properly" - what an absolute star he is!

So thank you again to all involved, another grand day out!

Simon

(Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop)

A few random comments from across the ocean:

.....4. Where did Marc Smith get his T from? ‘cos I want one.

I took a chance & bought it from someone on ebay

As it turned out, it's a good quality shirt & permanent print

From your avatar, I had assumed you were a lead guitarist,

and therefore knew little of us "low-enders"

Or could it be that you have seen the light, and are going to treat yourself to a bass guitar? ;)

Thanks to everyone for posting the photos

and CK, real Welshmen do indeed eat pasties

.... but only if there are no Clark's Pies available!

Marc

I took a chance & bought it from someone on ebay

As it turned out, it's a good quality shirt & permanent print

From your avatar, I had assumed you were a lead guitarist,

and therefore knew little of us "low-enders"

Or could it be that you have seen the light, and are going to treat yourself to a bass guitar? ;)

Thanks to everyone for posting the photos

and CK, real Welshmen do indeed eat pasties

.... but only if there are no Clark's Pies available!

Marc

As someone said to me once whilst I was tuning my bass "at least you only have 4 strings to tune", my reply was something like "yes but they are longer than a 6 string".

Chris and I discovered we shared the same provider of mobile card technology and had a fascinating conversation about roaming networks and T Mobile, or something like that......

So thank you again to all involved, another grand day out!

Simon

(Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop)

I'm going to give the TT Bookshop a wide berth at future shows... not only does my CC get a good hitting as there are always some irresistable reads on display, but those reads also lead to various purchases to add to the layout - the Southern Wagons Pictorial book being one. :) :jester:

I did get a phone call from the Card company on the way home - apparently the multiple attempts at payment at the TT stand (two this time, but also the several at the Nailsea show) and the manual payment, 'phone authorisation at the Exeter Model Shop stand when I bought the lovely little previously-owned shunter caused them to do a fraud check!!

• RMweb Gold

Here's my final selection, all of the modular layout.

First we have evidence of how the event offers the opportunity for a good natter exchange of knowledge.

post-7291-0-35141700-1398783271_thumb.jpg

Next is a different angle on Godfrey's superb intermodal depot. I don't exaggerate when I state that this could have been an exhibit in its own right, instead of being attached to an anarchic train set!

post-7291-0-07073500-1398783371_thumb.jpg

Plentry of action on Arthur's steelworks module, with a convoy of heavy vehicles being passed by a class 108 DMU at speed. I think this demonstrates that real atmosphere and a sense of place can be conveyed in a small space if the elements are right. A freelance, yet utterly convincing scene. Another example of the genre that springs to mind is Marc Smith's Hendre Lane.

post-7291-0-19231200-1398783539_thumb.jpg

The next image shows the domination of DMUs this year which, in the circumstances we found ourselves, worked well. My 108 and Turbostar were run on a rolling road last week to ensure good performance, but the Kernow Thumpers were equal straight out of their boxes. The star of the show for me was Godfrey's Realtrack Models Pacer. It is not only a superb model to look at, but its performance was superlative. I am now determined to acquire one as and when a Provincial/Reggie Rail version is available! Steam did get a look-in, with the GW Star visible - owned by Bob (81C) - having a pootle up and down light engine. In addition, we had two small prairies put in appearances in between the diesel shuttles and a late entrant was a Freightliner 08.

post-7291-0-46726000-1398783833_thumb.jpg

And here is the Pacer, looking very much at home on my module. The model is actually smoother than the real thing, with no Zebedee impersonations over track joints.

post-7291-0-10958000-1398784190_thumb.jpg

And finally, another of Godfrey's fleet was given an airing, a surprisingly nice Hornby 2BIL. It's obviously a publicity shot, because there's no third rail ;)

post-7291-0-60121500-1398784321_thumb.jpg

Thanks to those who brought stock. I hope that next year we can open the layout up to more members, even if it is only to test new purchases.

(edited) It was the sort of 'rats nest' of wires shown in the picture that made me decided I wasn't going to build a conventional layout and that battery power and radio control was the way I wnated to go.

Although several people saw it running along a bare table top without any external source of power it didn't attract a camera person so have added a poor picture taken on my phone at home this morning

post-20667-0-87941200-1398785156_thumb.jpg

this is the loco concerned, with the Deltang transmitter partially visible alongside

John Lewis

• RMweb Gold

Just back home from Devon and a chance to look through the photos, many thanks to all of you who have posted. I really enjoyed the day and would like to join in with my thanks to CK, Andy and indeed the wives and children who provided such a great cafeteria service on the day. Mike the Stationmaster was an excellent Modulemeister, we could not have managed without him and I would like to particularly thank all of you on the module team, you really helped to make my first foray into exhibiting a thoroughly enjoyable one and it was great to meet you. I particularly appreciated the help you gave me when clearing up at the end of the day. You really do learn a lot creating a module - in my case mostly what not to do - if I can do it anyone on RMweb can so I look forward to some new modules next April.

very best wishes

Godfrey

Archived