RMWeb Members Day at Taunton 2014 - full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

You've managed to get a pic of that auction from every angle, yet I'm still in none of them!

+1...thankfully my position hiding by the door kept my away from the roving lens! Rather worryingly though I do look like I'm actually doing something productive in the photo of the layout!

It was a really enjoyable day, definitely worth the travel!

Thanks to Tim and Andy for both finding some new angles to take pictures of the layout too, it's always great to see other peoples takes and what they notice that I haven't.

jo

• RMweb Gold

You've managed to get a pic of that auction from every angle, yet I'm still in none of them!

+1...thankfully my position hiding by the door kept my away from the roving lens! Rather worryingly though I do look like I'm actually doing something productive in the photo of the layout!

It was a really enjoyable day, definitely worth the travel!

Thanks to Tim and Andy for both finding some new angles to take pictures of the layout too, it's always great to see other peoples takes and what they notice that I haven't.

jo

And I was using Jo as a anti CK camera lens barrier.

A few random comments from across the ocean:

1. Good to see Mike not only looking like a Roman Emperor but behaving like one... cool.

2. I think I know Mrs. Pugsley (er, not in that way but) she looks very familiar.

3. I see Bernie Ecclestone managed to turn up.

4. Where did Marc Smith get his T from? ‘cos I want one.

Apologies; I’ll be back later when I’m not being deafened by one Mr. J. Page. The Wife is calling, I think.

B. P.

PS I see my plan to overrun this site by guitar wielding freaks is working.

• RMweb Premium

-'Oi, did I gave you permission to put me face on your memory card?! Whaddareyou looking at anyway!'- :O

(apols to the member concerned, the opportunity was too good to miss :sorry: )

Ahhh , that would be me , I just wondered why someone was waving a camera around , and at least you

cant see the pink bit on top of my head from that angle .     :jester:

• RMweb Premium

And to add to the Thanks to everyone who helped make it another good day , we will admit a small hiccup

with the modular section but I hope this did'nt spoil the fun to much , I know Andy was a bit annoyed that things

did'nt quite work out but please dont let it worry you , we still ran trains which was the point of the exercise .

Godfreys submission was absolutely stunning , the amount of detail and planning that he had obviously put into

it shone through , not to mention the time needed to set it all up and take it all down again , most certainly not a plonk and play .

As usual it was great to chat with friends old and new , enjoy the super food from the lovely ladies of the

catering division , and generally just have a good day out .

I cant wait to see what Tim conjours up for next year , this was the best of the ones I've been to so far .

Thanks again to all involved .

( edited twice cos I cant spell )

Thanks for those who've posted photos, excellent.

Thanks to CK, Andy, the ladies of the catering team and all the other exhibitors and traders for making the day what it was. Well done to Mike (stationmaster) for heading up the module team and Mike (sidecar racer) for sterling efforts with the electrics.

Good to met up with Godfrey and Trevor with their new modules, (you do realise that, once a Moduler, you cannot leave alive......)

As everyone says, it's always a great day to be involved in, relaxed, friendly and plenty of good company to chat with.

Well here we go! The co-opted semi volunteer photographers efforts. Last year i was ill but didn't know it. The competition completely swamped me and none of the pics made it onto RMweb. This year i decided to concentrate on getting some decent pics and using Photoshop unmercifully to try and show the sheer art that i was looking at. This isn't a catalogue or even a wish-you-were-here trip. None of the layouts are identified.

Just my personal take on things.

It was good to be there and to feel so well. Roll on next year!

post-120-0-50856900-1398709943_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-89588400-1398709947_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-88634200-1398709951.jpg

post-120-0-53060900-1398709956.jpg

post-120-0-55034400-1398709960.jpgpost-120-0-79785300-1398709977_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-74328200-1398709982.jpg

post-120-0-44732300-1398709965_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-35697300-1398709970.jpg

post-120-0-26738700-1398709989.jpg

Hi,

I've just posted up photos from the Drivers Experience on Saturday on that thread, but I'll continue with my other photos here and comments here, starting with Saturday Evening:

Having returned from Norton Fitzwarren, we were welcomed in by the Tauton MRG to again see their lovely selection of layouts and stock, which as always is brillant and very friendly as well! But, some of use decided to venture outside in the pouring rain, where CK captured this photo:

Simon (St Simon) decided that it would be a good idea to brave the rain, just to get a photo of the masses cowering under the canopy:

attachicon.gifIMG_2750.JPG

The picture that he is referring to is this one of what could be called a rather dodgy bunch (I'm only joking! :protest: ) trying to stay dry:

post-7271-0-58023000-1398711788_thumb.jpg

My Pictures of the Charter they were looking at are on my Gallery here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/280-st-simons-prototype-pictures/

I'm afraid there's no pictures from the meal, as I was too busy being social! But the meal was very nice, despite some confusion in getting meals to people. In fact, most of the evening I spent with Dad talking to David Butcher (Taunton MRG Secretary) about his life on the railways, which was fastinating, it was one of the most interesting dinner conversations I've had in a long time!

We managed to get to our Hotel around 22:30 for a good nights sleep (I'm afraid we weren't even up when CK and his helpers were starting to set up at the hall! :lazy: ), and a nice breakfast the next morning, despite the lack of Bacon! :O But we got over to the hall just after the opening time of 10:00 and started to mingle.

But, almost immediatly, we were taken by Brain Harrap's Lathe Demonstation, which had Dad hooked for a couple of hours, in fact almost to the point of purchasing a similar one in the future:

post-7271-0-94029900-1398711771_thumb.jpg

But, I have to admit that I was the one to make the first purchase between the two of us, of one of Kernow's Excellent Class 205 'Thumper' units in Connex livery, although I must stress that I was FORCED against my will to make the purchase by a certain Mr Muspratt! :declare: Although, I won't actually see my purchase again until I go home this weekend (but at least it was Dad who would get in the muck with SWMBO when he brought it home and not me!)

After leaving my Thumper under the module layout with Stationmaster Mike, I went off to take a few photos:

Diddington:

post-7271-0-31784900-1398711756_thumb.jpg

Nouvion:

post-7271-0-34746600-1398711805_thumb.jpg

Acacia Avenue:

post-7271-0-36715100-1398711834_thumb.jpg

Embankment Road:

post-7271-0-48822400-1398711849_thumb.jpg

The Module Layout:

post-7271-0-45719100-1398711865_thumb.jpg

Cashmores (I loved the Puddles!):

post-7271-0-24556100-1398711885_thumb.jpg

Shepherds Halt:

post-7271-0-28786200-1398711899_thumb.jpg

I then spent a bit of time helping to run the Module layout, which despite some 'interesting' wiring ran pretty well, while other members got their hands on Tim's by now famous Pasties, which were excellent as usual! In fact, while operating said layout I managed to capture quite a conflab going on:

post-7271-0-05103600-1398711821_thumb.jpg

Unfortunatly, that's the last of the pictures, but I still have a few comments to add, the day overall seemed to be a great success, it was very nice to come and not only see old friends, but also meet new ones and put faces to the usernames. I wish I could of stayed a little longer to help pack away, but work was calling, so I had to head for the station for the Train back to Fareham

but I've got to say that the day was fantastic and one of the weekends that Dad and I really really look forward to every year. It's not necessarily the layouts that make the day brillant, although every year the good captain puts on a great display of layouts, it is in fact the people who come along, as the day is never advertised an exhibition, but as a social occasion, so it doesn't matter that much if the layouts run well. The day is there to have good fun, have a natter with friends and do the sometimes forgotten side of the hobby; enjoying not only your's but others work!

Again, thank you to Tim, Andy Y and the catering Ladies, as well as the helpers and people behind the scenes, for making the day happen and run so smoothly and both Dad and I greatly look forward to next year!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

A few more from me before I sign off for tonight. I'll try not to duplicate what others have submitted. First, we have the 2014 Modulemeister, Mike (The Stationmaster) with his module - dubbed Santa's Grotto by persons unnamed. I can't think why...

post-7291-0-78310300-1398712795_thumb.jpg

Next is a glimpse of Godfrey's superb container depot corner module, which deservedly attracted much attention and praise. My Turbostar fits the timeframe perfectly.

post-7291-0-35404500-1398712955_thumb.jpg

I felt really sorry for Andy Y. Having stepped into the breach after Tigger's mysterious disappearance, his improvised fiddle yard had a mysterious electrical fault that no amount of head-scratching and rewiring could resolve. This picture was taken after the offending board had been consigned to the sin-bin. We were, however, able to use the other board, which allowed us single line working. There might be a prize if anyone can work out where the fault was!

post-7291-0-68516300-1398713094_thumb.jpg

And the final one for tonight. Mike (Sidecar Racer) prepares to drive 250 quid's worth of Kernow Thumpers round the layout. The Stationmaster's original green version is paired up with my newly acquired (about an hour previously!) Connex version to show both ends of the units' working lives. Both units were silky smooth straight out of the box.

post-7291-0-62076100-1398713526_thumb.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Those of us unable to attend are truly grateful for those who bothered to post their pics. David CV White's contribution is clearly a particularly good one, given his health issue, now successfully reversed, obviously. After several years of frustration seeing what a good time everyone has, I have made a mental note to be there - or be forever in despair. Here's to 2015.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos posted - I really must sort a few of mine out.

We did have a great day and some good comments on the layout thread for Acacia Avenue.

Myself and Ray will be back next year, with something ....

Archived