Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Ah, until you know the secret.  There was one working in the north east which was still running as Class 9, unfitted in 1992 and this might possibly be the one as I think it was for shipment coal.  We had a similar flow in South Wales, to Swansea Docks, and in that case unfitted wagons had to be used because of the handling gear for loading the ship.  The same I think applied to the flow in the north east but I can't recall any details of it as it was only briefly mentioned at a meeting where we were asked to give up Class 9 for use by Eurostar and it came out that several of us - unbeknown to our colleagues from elsewhere on BR - were still running a very limited number of unfitted trains in highly localised places and for similar (I think) reasons.

There was a flow of alumina from the terminal at North Blyth to the plant at Lynemouth, using unfitted private-owner covered hoppers built in the 1970s, which was probably the train you were told about, Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, until you know the secret.  There was one working in the north east which was still running as Class 9, unfitted in 1992 and this might possibly be the one as I think it was for shipment coal.  We had a similar flow in South Wales, to Swansea Docks, and in that case unfitted wagons had to be used because of the handling gear for loading the ship.  The same I think applied to the flow in the north east but I can't recall any details of it as it was only briefly mentioned at a meeting where we were asked to give up Class 9 for use by Eurostar and it came out that several of us - unbeknown to our colleagues from elsewhere on BR - were still running a very limited number of unfitted trains in highly localised places and for similar (I think) reasons.

Wasn't  this the North Blyth to Lynemouth Alcan alumina workings using the old Covhops?

post-5613-0-21896200-1422657859_thumb.jpg

Winning 56112 Alcan from Lynemouth 23rd Feb 90 C14064

David

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There was a flow of alumina from the terminal at North Blyth to the plant at Lynemouth, using unfitted private-owner covered hoppers built in the 1970s, which was probably the train you were told about, Mike.

Could be Brian - I honestly can't remember and in any case our main concern was what one earth we would be able to do if (when) we lost the Class 9 headcode and whether or not we could stop the march of the Eurostar juggernaut (which of course we couldn't).

And thanks Peter for mentioning the other one - I know there was a flow in former LMR territory as well but my oppo from Crewe neglected to say much about it.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or a 120, but unable to check further at the mo'.

In photo C8040 of 26027/021 at Haymarket, you can just make out a DMU with plated windows.

This would be one of 55013-5, cl.122 bubblecars which became cl.131 after plating windows and fitting cage mesh inside remaining ones. Also an extra set of double doors on each side.

Originally, they were blue but I think only one got blue/grey, 13 or 15.

They were the ScR's home-made equivalent of the purpose-built cl.128 - often to be found tacked on to a convenient DMU set

• RMweb Premium

Dave, you actually worked during the week? Blimey, you must have been an exceptional student.

'twas a wee bit grim in the 70s railway wise was it not? Great pics as usual though.

However I found that most railway workers  I encountered in the 70s were 'true railway', many being ex steam age and  most were kind and helpful (except for one Foreman at Tinsley) when it came to being asked about their work. On spotting shed bashes I tried to spend time talking with staff rather than just rushing around taking numbers. I also got 'benefits' from making friends with the staff at Wellingborough when I lived there (1975 - 1979) in the form of cab rides and signal box 'shifts' and learning about TOPS from a bloke in the Depot Admin Office.

Happy days if a little monotonous loco livery wise!

Phil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dave, you actually worked during the week? Blimey, you must have been an exceptional student.

'twas a wee bit grim in the 70s railway wise was it not? Great pics as usual though.

However I found that most railway workers  I encountered in the 70s were 'true railway', many being ex steam age and  most were kind and helpful (except for one Foreman at Tinsley) when it came to being asked about their work. On spotting shed bashes I tried to spend time talking with staff rather than just rushing around taking numbers. I also got 'benefits' from making friends with the staff at Wellingborough when I lived there (1975 - 1979) in the form of cab rides and signal box 'shifts' and learning about TOPS from a bloke in the Depot Admin Office.

Happy days if a little monotonous loco livery wise!

Phil 

I did a Joint Degree in Botany and Zoology so I had lectures from 9.30 for three (sometimes four)  hours five mornings a week and practical session 4 afternoons a week, plus field trips in holidays.  It was good fun and not really very hard work.  

And yes, it could be a bit grim in some parts of the railway.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, you are a life saver, mate! I've been looking for photos of Edge Hill showing the footbridge, and there it is. Thank you so much.

Here's another with the footbridge.

post-5613-0-56352100-1422731763_thumb.jpg

Edge Hill Derby dmu Wigan North Western to Liverpool Lime St Jan 72 C796

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I did a Joint Degree in Botany and Zoology so I had lectures from 9.30 for three (sometimes four)  hours five mornings a week and practical session 4 afternoons a week, plus field trips in holidays.  It was good fun and not really very hard work.  

And yes, it could be a bit grim in some parts of the railway.

David

Sorry Dave, but I can't get Mr Chinnery out of my head.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

27033 looks like its had a traction motor flashover or a bogie fire. I'm guessing its one of the ones flogged to death on the Glasgow-Edinburgh services.

How grotty and depressing everything at Edge Hill looks...

Andy G

RE:IMAGE J4360

Interesting, I don't recall seeing many, if any, 12 car AM 10 / 310 Unit workings!

I remember my first visit to Euston in 1967 and almost all the AM10s were running as 12car formations. Mind you, it was August Bank holiday so that might have been the reason. I was made up, because it meant I could underline three numbers for every train that arrived so formed. Coming from rural Lincolnshire I had lots of big gaps when it came to ABC pages of electric stock.

I think some rush hour services carried on with 12 cars into the 70s, but maybe they increased the frequency and cut the length to 8 cars after that?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's. Love those of Cadeby, and Teddy Boston's 2' gauge line. Then in C1903, with a 31 in March, 1975, is one of those really classic views that I do like to see. In C2476, the second vehicle is, I think I'm right in saying, a former LMS BG.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

David, 

Love the “Big Sky” views of Margaretting!

Used to frequent the “Red Lion” there - when it was a musician’s Pub.

Many thanks, Pete.

Hi Pete

Do you remember the donkeys in the field next to the crossing they were there for years?