Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Such great ECML photo's tonight. A really classic shot of a 55 Deltic in C3448 at Peterborough, and what a delight in A3 Victor Wild, at Corby Glen, April, 1963. Yes, in a very grotty looking condition, but the A3's were on their way out by that time. The signal is quite a contrast!

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

I remember it BR were leaving a lot of engines running overnight as otherwise they wouldn't start in the morning.

I was 'visiting' Eastfield Depot one winter afternoon around the late 70s and I (stupidly?) asked why all the loco's (even inside) were running (the place was blue with fumes).

The answer was as quoted from Dave's post.

The Inspection saloon and 25 another good modelling 'excuse'.

Great pics; I had to put on my fleece.

Phil

A clean-ish two-tone green 'Rat' fully 5 years after the introduction of 'Corporate Blue'... but it has gained full yellow ends...

...and the 'Inspection Saloon' I fear is just a common-or-garden Research Department Mark 1 BSK...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

...and the 'Inspection Saloon' I fear is just a common-or-garden Research Department Mark 1 BSK...

It is indeed a BSK, but not quite common-or-garden. There's an exhaust on the roof, from an on-board diesel generator, so there'll be grilles in the sides somewhere for air/cooling.

It looks suspiciously like ADB975397 Test Car 2 The grilles are on the other side.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. More terrific photo's tonight. I particularly like that last one, a very snowy view from the infamous winter of '79, and two 20's as well.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

the 'Inspection Saloon' I fear is just a common-or-garden Research Department Mark 1 BSK...

It is indeed a BSK, but not quite common-or-garden. There's an exhaust on the roof, from an on-board diesel generator, so there'll be grilles in the sides somewhere for air/cooling.

It looks suspiciously like ADB975397 Test Car 2 The grilles are on the other side.

If you are right about it being Test Car 2, it would belong to the D of M&EE. Research, being posh, had 'Laboratory Coaches'.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what that ferry van was doing at Barton-on-Humber?

It seems to be painted green; I'm not sure what railway administration would have had ferry vans painted that colour although possibly Belgian wagons were at one time, although it may be just a trick of the light?

• RMweb Gold

It seems to be painted green; I'm not sure what railway administration would have had ferry vans painted that colour although possibly Belgian wagons were at one time, although it may be just a trick of the light?

Perhaps, unknowingly, BOH was the UK's import centre for brussels sprouts??

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

As the 12T van is COND, maybe the others are? Was  there a scrap yard nearby? 

Despite living in 36E for just over 12 years now, I am ashamed to say I have yet to travel to Barton on Humber Station. I have been to the town to visit a Wildlife Centre (no jokes about Night Clubs and typical Barton Pubs chaps).

It is, on a Saturday only, just possible to  travel to Cleethorpes direct from Retford, then on to Barton On Humber and return the same way. However it takes the whole day!! An alternative is to take the bus from B on H to Hull and then Hull to Donny etc. but it is more expensive!

I think I remember being told that the bus replaces the Ferry?

P

I'm pretty certain it's very dirty brown; the only administration that used a green livery for vans (Austria or Switzerland?) only painted post office vehicles like this. It looks like one of the pre-War French vans, originally built for the PLM. A trawl through the various Barrowmere books (such as this one- http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf) shows that there was always the possibility of ferry vehicles turning up in the most bizzare places; there was a list of restrictions in one of them that forbade using the Swansea Docks network without permission of the Dock Manager, and absolutely forbidding access to the Trimsaran branch...

Not sure about the  scrap-yard theory; the paperwork involved when a foreign vehicle couldn't be repatriated was apparently rather involved. I can't decide if the one definitely-condemned vehicle was a middle-aged GWR one, or a relatively young BR one; in any case, it seems an odd place to condemn a vehicle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else picked up on the condemend GWR van it has a 9ft wheelbase but is branded XP. The GWR did have some vacuum braked 9 ft wheelbase vans but they should not be XP as it should have been applied only to vans with wheelbases 10 ft or over.........one rule for the railways and another for Swindon :rtfm:

Puts on hard hat and retreats to bomb proof bunker.

Has anyone else picked up on the condemend GWR van it has a 9ft wheelbase but is branded XP. The GWR did have some vacuum braked 9 ft wheelbase vans but they should not be XP as it should have been applied only to vans with wheelbases 10 ft or over.........one rule for the railways and another for Swindon :rtfm:

Puts on hard hat and retreats to bomb proof bunker.

My eyesight must be failing with age, Clive; I hadn't noticed that! It would explain why it's condemned. I've seen other photos of the results of confused wagon painters, including a 16-tonner with XP branding.

Brian has nailed the French van - 'Couvert a primeurs' built in 1935 for the PLM and then repeated by the SNCF. There's one in the NRM which has the lower vents - the one sbove either doesn't have them or they're covered over.

It looks like SNCF brown to me - like Southern brown but with a slightly blue tint, if the paint I bought from a French supplier was accurate.

• RMweb Gold

Brian has nailed the French van - 'Couvert a primeurs' built in 1935 for the PLM and then repeated by the SNCF. There's one in the NRM which has the lower vents - the one sbove either doesn't have them or they're covered over.

It looks like SNCF brown to me - like Southern brown but with a slightly blue tint, if the paint I bought from a French supplier was accurate.

The apparent green tint is down to film aging - Agfa slide film does that.   Usually I mange to remove it but failed this time - when I tried I got a pink tint instead and decided it wasn't worth spending more time on.

It really was a brown colour, but not at all like BR bauxite.

David.

Edited to add a letter which was missing from tint.  I'll let you guess what I'd typed!

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1