Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hello, David, everyone.

Regarding the green Mk.1 coaching stock, I believe that once electification (third rail) had reached Bournemouth in 1967, most, if not all, of the non-ETH stock was transferred to the LMR which was desperately short of such assets.

I can remember seeing a green Mk.1 near Derby with a definite 'M' prefix, not 'S', and upon consulting my 1962 ABC, I found it listed with an 'S' prefix, resulting in one very confused little boy.

Cheers,

BR(W).

In reply to the above (and previous replies) regarding the Green BSK at Dent, I have narrowed the identity down to one of two possibilities, namely 34260 or 34265, both of which were transferred to LMR in Sept 1967 [source: Longworth, BR Mk1 and Mk2 Coaching Stock]. The quantity of BSKs transferred as a result of becoming surplus due to the Bournemouth electrification was very few, as the conversion itself consumed 32 BSKs, entirely from SR stock.

Edited by talisman56

Excellent K&ESR photos David.

I love C2399, which nowadays shows a practice that would not be allowed.  My father, who used to volunteer on the GCR, discovered that smoking is not allowed on the footplate as it is considered to be a place of work.  He will be 92 in 6 weeks time and cites this kind of rule as an example of the world having gone completely mad, and he means it.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

In C4764 the unit looks like a Park Royal class 103 not a Gloucester class 100.

Many thanks Clive, I think you are right.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photo's of the Kent and East Sussex Railway - more please.  Then some good photo's of the scenic Cambrian Coast line. In that photo' C4764, at Barmouth, the unit is a class 103. Here is the history of the class 103's from the Railcar website:http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-103/index.php

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photo's of the Kent and East Sussex Railway - more please.  Then some good photo's of the scenic Cambrian Coast line. In that photo' C4764, at Barmouth, the unit is a class 103. Here is the history of the class 103's from the Railcar website:http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-103/index.php

All the best,

Market65.

Many thanks.  That site will prove useful as I continue working through my photos.

There will be more KESR photos from time to time - I think I have around 100 photos from the 1970s, so far there are (I think) around 35 on this thread.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

In reply to the above (and previous replies) regarding the Green BSK at Dent, I have narrowed the identity down to one of two possibilities, namely 34260 or 34265, both of which were transferred to LMR in Sept 1967 [source: Longworth, BR Mk1 and Mk2 Coaching Stock]. The quantity of BSKs transferred as a result of becoming surplus due to the Bournemouth electrification was very few, as the conversion itself consumed 32 BSKs, entirely from SR stock.

I would advise caution on the transfer dates in the book, 34264 is down as transferred 4/68 but was at Nunnery 3/68 and probably earlier than that.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

C5767 shows that the Met-cam sets held onto their original gutter layout (just over the doors) for a long time. I thought that they had all got full gutters by the time they were in blue and grey...

Andy G

Hi Dave,

Fabulous shots of Dent the other day, I have been so busy I'm running late with everything recently but these photos will assist even more in my own portrayal, many thanks for sharing, really appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

A quick visit to Peterborough in July 1974 this evening.

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 101 and Class 47 Newcastle to Kings X 27th July 74 C1697.jpg

Peterborough Class 101 and Class 47 Newcastle to Kings X 27th July 74 C1697

attachicon.gifPeterborough Class 55 Edinburgh to Kings X 27th July 74 C1703.jpg

Peterborough Class 55 Edinburgh to Kings X 27th July 74 C1703

Keep them coming please Dave; especially these early blue diesels.

C1697 - the Class 47 is probably 47404 (rather than 414). It appears to have an ETH cable on the buffer beam which position was unique to the Generators (401-420) at that time.

C1703 - the low nameplate position gives this Deltic away as 55008 The Green Howards.

I would advise caution on the transfer dates in the book, 34264 is down as transferred 4/68 but was at Nunnery 3/68 and probably earlier than that.

Mike.

I know, sometimes the paperwork takes time to catch up with real life and sometimes the paperwork is delayed or not actioned for some reason. At least under BR the dates are at least reasonably accurate. Under the SR and certainly LBSC of its constituent companies, rolling stock changes were only reported every 6 months...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really have enjoyed looking at the photo's of Hillmorton, some classic portrayals of the WCML. In photo' J4366, with a 47 hauling an 81, in June, 1975, I'm sure that the 81 must be dead, especially with the pantograph down.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Really have enjoyed looking at the photo's of Hillmorton, some classic portrayals of the WCML. In photo' J4366, with a 47 hauling an 81, in June, 1975, I'm sure that the 81 must be dead, especially with the pantograph down.

All the best,

Market65.

I forgot to add that bit! - At least I remembered it for the other one which was dead.

David

C1697 - the Class 47 is probably 47404 (rather than 414). It appears to have an ETH cable on the buffer beam which position was unique to the Generators (401-420) at that time.

:scratchhead: 414 was a generator too .....

Edited by DY444

• RMweb Gold

The dmu at Didcot is the good old London Division staple - Pressed Steel set, Class 117

Quite amazing when you think how much the place has changed since then (although I'm one of the 'culprits' at that end) but even comparing 1979 with the early half of the 1960s there was also a tremendous difference - seems to be the thing about 'change' - it keeps happening in some places.

C4507 I can't be sure, but at that time there were some semi-fasts from Cardiff that ran in between the faster Swansea HST services, and stopped at most larger stations, even at Slough and Ealing Broadway on some occasions. They were occasionally formed of Mk1s. I used to catch these deliberately because they slowed down in all of the interesting places from a spotting point of view.

The 47 may be on one of those services. Occasionally, I even had a 50 up front.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of Didcot. That photo' C4503 does indeed show a class 117 unit. The car details are: DMBS - 51360, TCL - 59512, DMS - 51402. Full details here at the railcar website: http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-117/set-numbers.php

All the best,

Market65.

The dmu at Didcot is the good old London Division staple - Pressed Steel set, Class 117

Quite amazing when you think how much the place has changed since then (although I'm one of the 'culprits' at that end) but even comparing 1979 with the early half of the 1960s there was also a tremendous difference - seems to be the thing about 'change' - it keeps happening in some places.

Many thanks to both of you for the identification.

Sometimes I wonder if I want to go back to places now they look so different!

David

C4507 I can't be sure, but at that time there were some semi-fasts from Cardiff that ran in between the faster Swansea HST services, and stopped at most larger stations, even at Slough and Ealing Broadway on some occasions. They were occasionally formed of Mk1s. I used to catch these deliberately because they slowed down in all of the interesting places from a spotting point of view.

The 47 may be on one of those services. Occasionally, I even had a 50 up front.

Possibly also a Fishguard boat train? My 1978 timetable has it up through Didcot some time around 1800 if that's any help.

That timetable doesn't seem to show any non-HST semi-fasts from Cardiff, only a 2-hourly HST between Cardiff-London, calling Newport-Parkway-Swindon-DIdcot-Reading-Slough-Padd, unlike the hourly Swansea HSTs which were shown from Cardiff as either Newport-Parkway-Reading-London or even Newport fast to London (in 1h32).

Enlarging the photo it might have a paper train ID number in the first coach as some special trains did (e.g. 1Znn where nn are numbers). There are definitely passengers in the first coach, and possibly some of those "reserved compartment" stickers on the windows. Maybe.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly also a Fishguard boat train? My 1978 timetable has it up through Didcot some time around 1800 if that's any help.

That timetable doesn't seem to show any non-HST semi-fasts from Cardiff, only a 2-hourly HST between Cardiff-London, calling Newport-Parkway-Swindon-DIdcot-Reading-Slough-Padd, unlike the hourly Swansea HSTs which were shown from Cardiff as either Newport-Parkway-Reading-London or even Newport fast to London (in 1h32).

Enlarging the photo it might have a paper train ID number in the first coach as some special trains did (e.g. 1Znn where nn are numbers). There are definitely passengers in the first coach, and possibly some of those "reserved compartment" stickers on the windows. Maybe.

It would have been long before 1800.  From the image number I took it before I went into the Steam Centre, so it wouldhave been mid morning.  Such shadows as are visible on the cooling towers also suggest morning.  But thanks for the suggestion.

It seems to have been one of "those" days when I made very few notes as my slide catalogue has very little detail of the BR stock I saw.

David

Edited by DaveF