Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

1S42 is the 16:00 KX-Edinburgh. The formation indicates that it is the SuO service. The set will form the up Flying Scotsman on Monday morning.

Thanks once again Mark.

Having looked at the loco used to get to High Dyke from Market Overton and the people present it would indeed have been a Sunday.  As well as it being a working to get the NER saloon to High Dyke it was a celebration of a loco owner's birthday.

David

Hi Dave, I too like the picture of High Dyke with the spotters on the far side.

I'm trying to work out what the car is. It looks like a Rover P5, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thanks, as ever, for taking the time to post your pictures.

• RMweb Gold

As usual I am playing catch-up with this marvellous thread.

I managed to photograph the Margam - Tunstead working in 1983

attachicon.gifscan0016a.jpg

45017 arrives at Peak Forest with the empties from Margam, 13/6/83

cheers 

MAny thanks

That is the first shot I have seen of the train - the up and down workings crossed at Abbotswood around midnight!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Phil, I've got a photo (somewhere) of it leaving Derby bound for Margam - also behind a "Peak".

Thanks Peter  very interested in seeing that if not too much trouble!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

It's not really a 31, it's a toffee-apple! Note that it has red circle coupling code above the buffers. Intersting that it has a red tail lamp on, would that have been authorised at the time?

That pair of Jocko's is nice, and something that you just don't see much of.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

It's not really a 31, it's a toffee-apple! Note that it has red circle coupling code above the buffers. Intersting that it has a red tail lamp on, would that have been authorised at the time?

That pair of Jocko's is nice, and something that you just don't see much of.

Andy G

I assume so, but I cannot remember the date from which it became normal practice.

Photo C4840 (2 below it) shows the red lights at the rear of the Class 302, about a year later.

David

• RMweb Premium

I assume so, but I cannot remember the date from which it became normal practice.

Photo C4840 (2 below it) shows the red lights at the rear of the Class 302, about a year later.

David

Hi David and all

We discussed the use of red tail lights this week at my model railway club. An ex ER signalman informed us they were quite common used in areas where there were EMUs as tail lamps were not used on the EMUs. The signalmen were looking for a red light not a tail lamp.

Wow! That looks like a big load for a 25. 

That looks like about seventy wagons presumably all empty?

The first two are 21t mins at 10t each and the rest look like 16t mins at 8t each plus 74t for the loco and 20t for the brake van equals about 658 tonnes,  edit for maths

but not much brake force though, perhaps just the loco brakes,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

That looks like about seventy wagons presumably all empty?

The first two are 21t mins at 10t each and the rest look like 16t mins at 8t each plus 74t for the loco and 20t for the brake van equals about 658 tonnes,  edit for maths

but not much brake force though, perhaps just the loco brakes,

cheers

The first two wagons look like MDVs; that's the fitted head, if anyone bothered to couple the brake-pipes.

Abbott's Ripton on the ECML in the 1970s for today's photos.

attachicon.gifm Abbots Ripton 25118 down goods June 75 J4489.jpg

Abbots Ripton 25118 down goods June 75 J4489

David

My own personal view is someone is pushing their luck here. It may have been by control arrangement but i'm almost sure it's the wrong side of borderline. I suspect it's a Little Barford - New England move?

post-4034-0-11801100-1448038979_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-61928200-1448038980_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-35736500-1448038982_thumb.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My own personal view is someone is pushing their luck here. It may have been by control arrangement but i'm almost sure it's the wrong side of borderline. I suspect it's a Little Barford - New England move?

attachicon.gif20151120_164527.jpg

attachicon.gif20151120_164614.jpg

attachicon.gif20151120_164654.jpg

I reckon he's well in - the limit is basically the Length Limit of 75 SLUs which it is probably pretty near while according to those tables the London - Doncaster Class 8 load for a Class 25 was 83 BWUs  (according to an earlier RMweb source a BWU = a light wagon with a load of less than 6 ton) so a string of empties would be well inside that and the Length Limit was more than likely to come into play before the Load Limit - as was usually the case with a  train of empties.

Edited by The Stationmaster