Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The Class 55 in J1201 has a two line nameplate so is not 9013 The Black Watch. Possibly 9019 as the top line looks like one word, as in Royal Highland Fusiliers.

Many thanks, I hadn't noticed the nameplate size.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. As always, it is great to see the photos of Pilmoor. I like, in particular, the one of Sir Nigel Gresley. The loco was clearly in good condition that day, and in the formation being hauled by Sir Nigel is an ex - LNER Gresley buffet car.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The Class 55 in J1201 has a two line nameplate so is not 9013 The Black Watch. Possibly 9019 as the top line looks like one word, as in Royal Highland Fusiliers.

9019 went blue in November 1967 so I don't think it can be that one.

The date of the A4 tour was 20 August 1967.

ECML in Yorkshire today with more photos from Pilmoor on various dates in the 60s and 70s.

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 55 D9013 The Black Watch Edinburgh to Kings X Jan 68 J1201.jpg

Pilmoor Class 55 9019? to Kings X Jan 68 J1201

David

I would like to suggest that the Deltic in the photo is D9006. Unless it is a blemish on the photo, there appears to be a mark on the side of the loco, just in front of the large grill above the nameplate, which is also shown on the linked photo of D9006 below.

https://flic.kr/p/ygW6CJ

• RMweb Gold

I would like to suggest that the Deltic in the photo is D9006. Unless it is a blemish on the photo, there appears to be a mark on the side of the loco, just in front of the large grill above the nameplate, which is also shown on the linked photo of D9006 below.

https://flic.kr/p/ygW6CJ

There is no crest above the nameplate in Dave's photo though. I think it is more likely to be D9011, which also has the paint blemish in the same place and no crest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70023venus2009/8217068853/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36916510@N03/3468200439/

There is no crest above the nameplate in Dave's photo though. I think it is more likely to be D9011, which also has the paint blemish in the same place and no crest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70023venus2009/8217068853/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36916510@N03/3468200439/

Yes it does look as though it is D9011. Only a couple of months before going into Doncaster works and coming back out in blue.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

More brilliant photos - thanks again

Do we have another loco ID quandary I wonder?

J2466 - if that were D1516 being one of the original generator batch she would have ETH and an oval Brush built works plate - cant see any ETH and she has a square Crewe built works plate

Are we looking at a loco from the D11xx batch perhaps?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos, a really good selection. In the last one at Muskham, in February, 1971, I think from the headcode, the train is on its way to Hull. Those who know about headcodes will soon be able to confirm or deny it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I thought the original generator class 47's had the ethical cable on the bufferbeam, and the later eth conversions had them just above the bufferbeam?

Hi Dave

J2466 - if that were D1516 being one of the original generator batch she would have ETH and an oval Brush built works plate - cant see any ETH and she has a square Crewe built works plate

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Kind regards

Phil

I agree it doesn't look like one of the generator locos. It seems to have a Stones boiler, which means it could be D1101-11 but not D1100 (which had a clayton boiler). There were about 80 locos with Stones boilers, but not all of them were Crewe built and some others had blue livery from new.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Kind regards

Phil

Downloading the photo and fiddling with the contrast suggests that it might(??) be the elusive (to me) 1111 (no 'D' by this date).

Bill

• RMweb Gold

More wonderful shots Dave but the date of July 1972 is surely too early for photo C1715 if the 37 is renumbered?   Looks like an interesting manoeuvre with the loco sandwiched between coaches and a DMU. 

Best regards,

Bill

I'm pleased you noticed that Bill, it's another example of my poor typing, it should be 1974, July.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Kind regards

Phil

I thought the original generator class 47's had the ethical cable on the bufferbeam, and the later eth conversions had them just above the bufferbeam?

I agree it doesn't look like one of the generator locos. It seems to have a Stones boiler, which means it could be D1101-11 but not D1100 (which had a clayton boiler). There were about 80 locos with Stones boilers, but not all of them were Crewe built and some others had blue livery from new.

Downloading the photo and fiddling with the contrast suggests that it might(??) be the elusive (to me) 1111 (no 'D' by this date).

Bill

I'm not at all surprised by the number error.  Although I have all Dad's slide catalogues I don't have any of the notes he sometimes made on the day, so I'm never sure whether the numbers he lists are what he wrote on the day or what he thought he saw on the slide using a hand lens.

That applies to a lot of the images with a "J" number.

So I'm always pleased when I get comments leading to a better I D as I can then update the catalogue.

David

• RMweb Premium

In C1715 I assume (probably wrongly!) that the class 37 has brought in a semifast of some kind from the Cross and another loco is about to take it back south, releasing the loco shown for another duty; hence the driver is at this end. But of course I may have got south and north wrong.

And is the dead animal the photographer's coat? Probably not; more likely his lunch.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

In C1715 I assume (probably wrongly!) that the class 37 has brought in a semifast of some kind from the Cross and another loco is about to take it back south, releasing the loco shown for another duty; hence the driver is at this end. But of course I may have got south and north wrong.

And is the dead animal the photographer's coat? Probably not; more likely his lunch.

Jonathan

I think that 42 years ago I knew what the ecs was for but didn't write it down.  I haven't a clue now.

David