Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tesside photos. They are most nostalgic, and in C20658, in the background are various 60's, 56's, a 47 and more 37's. It would, I'm sure, make a magnificent model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Fortunately Dad took more than one photo of 75021.

I think we've had these 2 photos before but some of you may not have seen them.

attachicon.gifm Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J937.jpg

Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J937

attachicon.gifm Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J948.jpg

Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J948

David

Actually the Grassington shots are amongst my favourites, so any excuse to get you to post more and I will use it!

• RMweb Gold

I can remember Radcliffe on Trent when it was lit by gas lamps and the trains pulled by L1s. (Early 60s).

These shots made me realise just how many "Eras" have passed since then - gosh I feel old now!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good set of photos from Radcliffe on Trent. I like the one of the 47 hauled train to Harwich in C3391. It is clearly accelerating, and looks most purposeful. There are several 114's on local trains, hopefully they could cope with the traffic on offer - the one in the last photo appears to be full.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

When enlarged, C3391 looks like 47019.

I agree with you, but I am not quite certain enough to caption it as 47019.  Perhaps others will have a look too and say what they think.

I can remember Radcliffe on Trent when it was lit by gas lamps and the trains pulled by L1s. (Early 60s).

These shots made me realise just how many "Eras" have passed since then - gosh I feel old now!

I know how you feel.  I remember travelling to Grantham to go trainspotting behind L1s.   It was not uncommon to see them with cracks in the footplate valancing (and if I remember correctly even the footplate). 

I can  go a little further back and remember the ex Great Central A5s as well.

David

I agree with you, but I am not quite certain enough to caption it as 47019. Perhaps others will have a look too and say what they think.

I know how you feel. I remember travelling to Grantham to go trainspotting behind L1s. It was not uncommon to see them with cracks in the footplate valancing (and if I remember correctly even the footplate).

I can go a little further back and remember the ex Great Central A5s as well.

David

Then there were the flying pigs as well

• RMweb Gold

I know how you feel.  I remember travelling to Grantham to go trainspotting behind L1s.   It was not uncommon to see them with cracks in the footplate valancing (and if I remember correctly even the footplate). 

I can  go a little further back and remember the ex Great Central A5s as well.

David

We might well have been on Grantham Station at the same time then although I cannot recall seeing the A5s. I think they had all gone by 1960 so I may have just missed them. 61-63 was probably my peak period at Grantham. 

Changed ECML trains at Grantham about 10 years ago so spent about 45 minutes on the platforms. All those houses where the sheds were! So hard to recall the action and bustle of those 60s days where there was always something to see at the sheds just across from the platforms even when the main was quiet.

I don't want to go back in time but there are very many good memories of those days.

• RMweb Gold

Then there were the flying pigs as well

Do you mean the Ivatt 4's?

I have no memories of them at all on this line although I am most definately not contradicting you. My recall of those days is not what it was.

• RMweb Gold

The L1s seem to have worked Friargate-Nottingham-Grantham trains up to the end of 1962 with Ivatt 4MTs taking over in 1963 for the rest of Friargate's life. I think the 'Pigs' (nobody called them 'Flying Pigs' in those days) were cascaded from the M&GN when that closed.

I must have been asleep at that time!

I had assumed the "Green Slugs", as we called them then, took over directly from the L1s.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting shots showing that headcodes didn't disappear in '76 - certainly didn't realise these EMUs kept them for so long (although even the 313s and 315s were built with them!)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the GEML today. In the first photo that 47 looks so disgraceful that I wonder when it was last cleaned! Interesting, as always, to see how the different windscreens on the 309's so changed the appearance of the front ends.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

cracking detail in those pics Paul

The last pic shows a headcode with a number instead of letter - IIRC David outlined the meaning of these numbers before, but I thought it odd that they'd go to the bother of using numbers instead of letters? Unless it was to keep headcodes for certain services completely separate?

(EDIT: Paul, that's a class 302 unit, not 305)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Interesting shots showing that headcodes didn't disappear in '76 - certainly didn't realise these EMUs kept them for so long (although even the 313s and 315s were built with them!)

Hi Keefer

Headcodes on the GE suburban services continued to be used until the closure of the signal boxes when the new power boxes at Liverpool Street, Colchester and Norwich were commissioned in the early 80s.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

A visit to Teesside today, starting at Thornaby and heading east to Lackenby.

attachicon.gifa Thornaby 142050 Saltburn to Bishop Auckland 12th May 90_C14453.jpg

Thornaby 142050 Saltburn to Bishop Auckland 12th May 90 C14453

attachicon.gifb Thornaby Class 37s 2nd Dec 95_C20658.jpg

Thornaby Class 37s 2nd Dec 95 C20658

attachicon.gifd Newport Class 153 up pass 14th April 93_C18459.jpg

Newport Class 153 up pass 14th April 93 C18459

attachicon.gife Middlesbrough up pass 2nd Aug 86_C7819.jpg

Middlesbrough up pass 2nd Aug 86 C7819

attachicon.gifi Lackenby BSC BSC Class 37 and shunter 14th April 93_C18463.jpg

Lackenby   Class 37 and  shunter 14th April 93 C18463

David

Last time I was at Thornaby station the old NER station was still there but you couldn't use it. As it was in June it duly snowed...and my was it cold!

The last pic shows a headcode with a number instead of letter - IIRC David outlined the meaning of these numbers before, but I thought it odd that they'd go to the bother of using numbers instead of letters? Unless it was to keep headcodes for certain services completely separate?

Thank you keefer for the correction on the EMU class. Haven't a clue as to how I got it wrong, but I have now corrected the error.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keffer and Paul

The LTSR units ran with four number headcodes, the second number served the same purpose as the letter in other headcodes, i.e. the destination or route. Why the LTSR was different I don't know. Haven't got my LTSR headcode info close so cannot give the numbers and their meanings. When units off the LTSR were running on the GER the second number was wound to the blank white rectangle.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Clive, I'm sure someone explained them earlier in the thread but it was some time ago.

EDIT: had a chance to search and it's in post #2704: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-10th-november/page-109&do=findComment&comment=1833240

post #2702 has a couple of nice shots of 302s with the numerical headcodes

post #2712 mentions them also

Edited by keefer