Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting photo's of Underground trains. Blake Hall would make a good model being in the countryside, and single track. Farringdon is, of course, typical of the underground lines that more people will think of when the underground is mentioned.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Back in the late 70s the Ongar model railway club had a model of both Ongar and Blake Hall, as a thirteen year old boy being given the opportunity to operate it was a real treat. If I remember correctly the Ongar part could be operated separately or joined to Blake Hall. I think the Ongar track plan was more or less faithful and I had never seen SMP track or soldered points before. The buildings could simply be measured as nearly all still existed at that time.

• Like 1

C4501 presumably that's a connection between the LT and BR lines at the end of the platform, right hand side. Doesn't look like it saw much use judging by the colour.

It was -  http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/WidenedLines.html gives a better view of the crossover. ICBW but I believe that it was last used in the 1960s when the occasional freight still ran along the Metropolitan and it used this to gain access to the Snow Hill route.

It was -  http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/WidenedLines.html gives a better view of the crossover. ICBW but I believe that it was last used in the 1960s when the occasional freight still ran along the Metropolitan and it used this to gain access to the Snow Hill route.

The crossover continued to be used until 1975 for stock transfers to/from the Northern City Line which, post-1970, ran from Neasden via that connection to the Widened Lines.

• RMweb Premium

The crossover had certainly gone by the time I worked in the area  a few years after 1975 as I used that station every day for a number of years.

In the first of the sequence you can see part of the old warehouse, still showing signs of bomb damage. Part of the building was being used as a car park. Hence the ramp in the later photo. Of course, it has gone now, replaced by a pretty anodyne office block. However, I seem to remember that the closeness to the Widened Lines, by then electrified at 25 kV, caused the building designers some problems is ensuring no interference with IT equipment in the offices.

And our model railway club (Welwyn Garden City & District) built a layout called Finsbury Squuare and planned to use a low relief model of the warehouse as a backscene. It never happened because the club lost its premises and closed. But the photos I took at the time proved the starting point for an article about the warehouse and area in the HMRS Journal a couple of years ago.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again David

What were they thinking about with those livery's?

When did they get the WD it must have cost quite a bit to ship it from Sweden makes you wonder why one wasn't bought from BR

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again David

When did they get the WD it must have cost quite a bit to ship it from Sweden makes you wonder why one wasn't bought from BR

I think there were two reasons for the liveries, the first being to generate publicity.  I also believe that BR were not happy about the use of their livery/crest at the time.  Remember when the KWVR reopened BR still had a few weeks of steam left.  I know that some time ago I posted something about this on RMWeb but cannot remember where.

I think that by the time anyone thought about preserving a WD 2-8-0 all the British ones had been scrapped.  Also I believe the Swedish ones had been mothballed in good condition.

David

Excellent again David

I seem to recollect that BR insisted that they could use anything approximating to a BR livery, so they came up with all sorts of garish colours; wasn't the USA Tank in Yellow Ochre?

I think they may have bought the WD from SJ as all the BR examples were pretty shot.

• RMweb Gold

The crossover continued to be used until 1975 for stock transfers to/from the Northern City Line which, post-1970, ran from Neasden via that connection to the Widened Lines.

What route did the stock movements for the Northern City line take? There's plenty of photos of the battery locos and stock going through King's Cross. 

Yes indeed the route was over the connection to the Widened Lines at Farringdon and via Kings Cross to Finsbury Park, and then reverse to Drayton Park. This method started after September 1970 when the Highgate - Finsbury Park line closed, and continued until October 1975 when the LT trains stopped running due to the start of the GN electrification scheme. See links.

https://flic.kr/p/akybjo

https://flic.kr/p/9Vo1aA

https://flic.kr/p/9USi8o

A few photos from Crewe taken in early 1971 and 1972.  The weather was mainly dull on both visits.

attachicon.gifCrewe Class 86 E3163 Liverpool to Euston 13th March 71 C506.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3163 Liverpool to Euston 13th March 71 C506

Going back to the Crewe photos (catching up after being away) the platform cut-out shown in C506 to provide clearance for stuff using the adjacent pointwork is of interest.

Like the garish orange 142 in the run-down Manchester Vic - somewhere I've a photo of an orange one alongside one of the Bury EMUs - odd to think they co-existed.

PS as well as putting the clocks back, is it time to put the thread title forward?

• RMweb Gold

Like the garish orange 142 in the run-down Manchester Vic - somewhere I've a photo of an orange one alongside one of the Bury EMUs - odd to think they co-existed.

PS as well as putting the clocks back, is it time to put the thread title forward?

Thanks for reminding me about the thread title - yesterday and today have been more hectic than usual.  I thought I'd have more spare time being retired.  It's eleven years since I retired from my full time work (early) and three years since I stopped working part time and I am still short of time to do things.

David,

Ref photo 1388; Is it possible that the large lettering asctually said ' Hopper Train No 6'? I ask, as there are other photos around showing hoppers lettered in this fashion.

That is quite possible.  Having looked at the photo again I think you are right.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the K&WVR photos. They, maybe, could have chosen some less garish liveries like grey instead of the bright red.

The photos of Lancaster and Manchester Victoria are a great collection. The hopper wagon will have been from a complete train. And the class 110 unit looks a little grubby considering that it must have been recently repainted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.