Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The new machines look as if they are Westinghouse Style M63 or Style 70 point machines.  The older ones definitely look more like an SGE design (Style HA?) but the frames were definitely Westinghouse in both boxes.

I remember we did some drawings for the proposed conversion from HA machines to Westinghouse 63 type when I was in Crewe DO in 1970.

The old SGE machines were getting life expired, not surprising as many were originally made in the 1930s. There was a regular Sunday job changing them in those days. They were taken down to the Telegraph Shop in Gresty Road for a complete strip down and rebuild. 

• RMweb Premium

It was -  http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/WidenedLines.html gives a better view of the crossover. ICBW but I believe that it was last used in the 1960s when the occasional freight still ran along the Metropolitan and it used this to gain access to the Snow Hill route.

Hi

The crossover was to allow the GWR/WR meat trains to gain access to Smithfields Market. Freight trains to and from the SR via Snow Hill used the BR set of lines as they were from Ferne Park (LNER/ER) or Brent (LMS/LMR).

The crossover had certainly gone by the time I worked in the area  a few years after 1975 as I used that station every day for a number of years.

In the first of the sequence you can see part of the old warehouse, still showing signs of bomb damage. Part of the building was being used as a car park. Hence the ramp in the later photo. Of course, it has gone now, replaced by a pretty anodyne office block. However, I seem to remember that the closeness to the Widened Lines, by then electrified at 25 kV, caused the building designers some problems is ensuring no interference with IT equipment in the offices.

And our model railway club (Welwyn Garden City & District) built a layout called Finsbury Squuare and planned to use a low relief model of the warehouse as a backscene. It never happened because the club lost its premises and closed. But the photos I took at the time proved the starting point for an article about the warehouse and area in the HMRS Journal a couple of years ago.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

The old warehouse was the ex GNR goods shed at Farringdon and was still in use in the early 60s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

The crossover was to allow the GWR/WR meat trains to gain access to Smithfields Market. Freight trains to and from the SR via Snow Hill used the BR set of lines as they were from Ferne Park (LNER/ER) or Brent (LMS/LMR).

This link is quite useful

http://www.harsig.org/PDF/CircleWidened.pdf

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photos. As stated by woodenhead, Craigendoran is a quite unique station being on different levels. 101's and, I think, 107's worked to Oban, along with some 100's. The Railcar website will have full details.

I particularly like the photo of the Forth Bridge. I believe that, having used modern paints, it does not have to be painted for a few years.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The epoxy coating on the Forth bridge is supposed to last 20 years. I wonder what sort of repair work will be required when that stuff needs to be taken off?

Andy G

I think I've actually got both the day and month right today!

Photos from Derbyshire for today.

attachicon.gifGrindleford Class 101 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield April 76 C2696.jpg

Grindleford Class 101 Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield April 76 C2696  The centre car is not from a 101.

Quite correct Dave. It looks like a class 104 TSL. Possibly one out of a 4 car set depending on where the unit is based.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photos - a good selection. In the first one, the trailer car is a class 104, BRC&W TSL. They were often inserted between class 101 or class 111 power cars in that way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

J1732, What a pity the road sign is in the way of the No6 advert. I am always on the look out for adverts in colour photos form most periods. With a little work they can be made into "layout" adverts. Nothing looks worse on a layout than adverts that are out of period to the rolling stock and road vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

C14424 - the number on the front of the unit in the picture is 156 412. Also, there is an excess 'e' in the station name.

Apart from that, a terrific set of shots, as usual...

I almost always blame my keyboard for mistakes, even when they are clearly my fault.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos that you have posted today. That first one of 46, D177, shows a very grimy engine that cannot have been cleaned for a long time! The photo' J2477 of 55 9002 is such a classic view of a Deltic hauled train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

J2513 is a cracking little junction scene - full length expresses going past a junction with sidings. Could have the passenger trains going roundy-roundy while shunting the mineral trains going on/off the branch