Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I remember seeing the Peaks on express trains at Clay Cross and other points south on the MML and thinking how superb they looked with air con Mk2s.  Only later did i realise how slow and second class the MML was compared to the WCML and ECML services.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of both Leicester and Syston. I like the first one of a class 116 at Syston. And C3427, along with J7277, and C5220 are excellent photos of 45's in service which cannot be reproduced anymore - the preserved lines may try, but it's not quite the same.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I love the Leicester pictures. They bring back very fond memories of when I lived there in 1982 & 1983, just as the Peaks were being stood down from front line service, replaced by cascaded 125s. There was also a daily class 50 working into Leicester, from Lawley Street, which would set back onto the fuelling point just after 20:00, which would cause a great deal of excitement. Sadly, I only photographed it once:  50 011 "Centurion" IIRC. 

C659 is interesting. The Tyseley 116s didn't used to venture beyond Leicester (from the Birmingham direction) that often and very rarely went further east than Peterborough in the early 70s. I suspect that that is a Peterborough - Birmingham working, vice a 104 or 120, which were the usual stock.

C660 is curious, as well. 1M38 doesn't ring a bell with me and I don't remember anything from the eastern counties that would be load 7. At that time, 1971, the only loco-hauled passenger services (other than the SO Walsall - Yarmouth) that I recall were a single working at around 17:?? from Leicester to Peterborough, which usually employed a double-headed class 25. At Peterborough they would be split, one returning with the two coach Royal Mail train to Crewe (1M58) and one working back with the stock, in service, at around 20:20 (1M59, I think). The following year, the diagram was abolished and the loco for 1M58 was, for several years, supplied by the Finsbury Park class 31 that had worked up from King's Cross on one of the terminating evening commuter services. If anyone has a timetable to hand I would be interested to learn what 1M38 was.

Some of the road level station building still survives (see streetview)

https://goo.gl/maps/3vxZAxj5xzu

much modified from this:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrhaz844.htm

Keith

Indeed,and just over a year after the Warwickshire railways shot, an 11 year-old Peter C. discovered the delights of wandering down there after school and standing on the ramp on either side of the line, the platforms were still accessible, and spotting for 20 minutes or so before catching the bus home!

Memories...!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

C660 is curious, as well. 1M38 doesn't ring a bell with me and I don't remember anything from the eastern counties that would be load 7. At that time, 1971, the only loco-hauled passenger services (other than the SO Walsall - Yarmouth) that I recall were a single working at around 17:?? from Leicester to Peterborough, which usually employed a double-headed class 25. At Peterborough they would be split, one returning with the two coach Royal Mail train to Crewe (1M58) and one working back with the stock, in service, at around 20:20 (1M59, I think). The following year, the diagram was abolished and the loco for 1M58 was, for several years, supplied by the Finsbury Park class 31 that had worked up from King's Cross on one of the terminating evening commuter services. If anyone has a timetable to hand I would be interested to learn what 1M38 was.

Given the date, could it be a summer SO service?

Leicester - Llandudno and Blackpool were 1MXX, as were Yarmouth - Manchester, no doubt there were others.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed,and just over a year after the Warwickshire railways shot, an 11 year-old Peter C. discovered the delights of wandering down there after school and standing on the ramp on either side of the line, the platforms were still accessible, and spotting for 20 minutes or so before catching the bus home!

Memories...!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

The passenger service on that route ceased in 1941 supposedly only until the end of the war, but it never recommenced.

Most of the stations/infrastructure lasted more or less intact until the end of steam. Items were only removed fairly lately.

I remember a freight train (8F hauled?) derailment by the entrance to King's Heath yard which IIRC sounded it's death knell. The mashed up wagons were left at the side of the track for ages.

Sometime afterwards it was all redeveloped for retail use and there is little sign there was ever anything at King's Heath

As a postscript to that there are now firm plans to re-introduce passenger trains on that route by 2025 with a connexion into Moor Street via a new chord at Bordesley, with new stations at Moseley, King's Heath & Hazelwell!

Cheers from Worcestershire, not too far from Brum

(When it was built that line was virtually all in Worcestershire!)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I love the Leicester pictures. They bring back very fond memories of when I lived there in 1982 & 1983, just as the Peaks were being stood down from front line service, replaced by cascaded 125s. There was also a daily class 50 working into Leicester, from Lawley Street, which would set back onto the fuelling point just after 20:00, which would cause a great deal of excitement. Sadly, I only photographed it once:  50 011 "Centurion" IIRC. 

C659 is interesting. The Tyseley 116s didn't used to venture beyond Leicester (from the Birmingham direction) that often and very rarely went further east than Peterborough in the early 70s. I suspect that that is a Peterborough - Birmingham working, vice a 104 or 120, which were the usual stock.

Given the date, could it be a summer SO service?

Leicester - Llandudno and Blackpool were 1MXX, as were Yarmouth - Manchester, no doubt there were others.

Mike.

I've had a look through my slide catalogue and tried very hard to remember what I was doing that summer.

I was still a student and had a holiday job working in the office of a big country estate (which was useful as they had large scale maps of everywhere they owned, a lot of the local railway stations happened to be on the maps with track plans).

That means it had to be a Saturday for me to go and take the  photos at Syston.

I didn't have a car then, so I would have gone with Dad, as he took photos of the same trains so again it must have been a Saturday.

It would have been the first or second weekend in the month, as these were the first railway photos I took that month.

It's at times like this that I am very glad I catalogued my slides (as did Dad) and put at least the month and year for each one (and sometimes the date).

Incidentally the Leicester photos were almost certainly taken on the day Dad and I decided to go to the Motor Show at the NEC if anyone wants to work out the date more exactly.

David

Love the Travellers Fare buffet. The prices were far from Fare if memory serves, maybe my parents were just tight!

Look at the proliferation of bins, indicative of a time when they were mostly for throwing rubbish in as opposed to a "security risk." The modern approach seems to simply be to employ more people to pick up the litter and just toss it on the floor.

Edited by devondynosoar118

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing the Peaks on express trains at Clay Cross and other points south on the MML and thinking how superb they looked with air con Mk2s.  Only later did i realise how slow and second class the MML was compared to the WCML and ECML services.

Midland second class, :nono: no way we had Peaks. What is second class about a Peak. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Carlisle today. The first one is a superb view of 318270. It looks so shiny in its new condition. Then in C9095, there is a classic three quarter photo of 87's, 87009 and 87004.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Another look at Carlisle with photos taken in April, September and October 1987.

attachicon.gifCarlisle 318270 on test 14th April 87 C8276.jpg

Carlisle 318270 on test 14th April 87 C8276

attachicon.gifCarlisle 87024 Euston to Glasgow 21st April 87 C8351.jpg

Carlisle 87024 Euston to Glasgow 21st April 87 C8351

attachicon.gifCarlisle 87009 and 87004 up steel 1st Sept 87 C9095.jpg

Carlisle 87009 and 87004 up steel 1st Sept 87 C9095

attachicon.gifCarlisle 86217 Galsgow and Edinburgh to Parkeston Quay 1st Sept 87 C9110.jpg

Carlisle 86217 Glasgow and Edinburgh to Parkeston Quay 1st Sept 87 C9110

attachicon.gifCarlisle Class 108 ecs to bay platform 27th Oct 87 C9212.jpg

Carlisle Class 108 ecs to bay platform 27th Oct 87 C9212

attachicon.gifCarlisle buffet on up platform 27th Oct 87 C9223.jpg

Carlisle buffet on up platform 27th Oct 87 C9223

David

C9110 is at plaform 3 heading north towards Glasgow and Edinburgh....

• RMweb Gold

C9110 is at plaform 3 heading north towards Glasgow and Edinburgh....

Thanks, it should read Parkeston Quay to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sorry.

David

This will sound extremely nerdy, but the vehicle numbers of 318270 do not follow directly on from the rest of the Class 318 fleet (250-269). This is because, originally, Ardrossan South Beach to Largs was not planned to be wired, instead a diesel shuttle would operate. When it was decided to wire through to Largs an additional Class 318 was required to maintain the planned service, hence the numbering anomaly (270 being ordered later).

• Like 1

Photos taken at Ratcliffe on Soar on the Midland Main Line from 1963 to 1971 today.

Both Dad and I went there quite often, it was quite  near home when these photos were taken.

The first two photos show a big change, they were taken from the old road bridge.

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 45 up Jan 63 J025.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 45 up Jan 63 J025  14.10 Sheffield to St Pancras

1M28 in January 1963 was the 11.52am from Bradford (Forster Square) to St Pancras, leaving Leeds City North at 12.21pm. It comprised 8 coaches on weekdays: BSK CK FK SO RKB SK TSO BSK (leaving Leeds in the up direction). The RKB until December was one of the six LMS RC D1743 LNWR styled vehicles built in 1925 and converted to RKB D2180 at Wolverton in 1954. Numbered M222M - M227M all were withdrawn during 1962 with the last one going by the end of that year. By January 1963 the catering vehicle in 1M28 was a BR Mark 1 RF.

247 Developments used to list the sides for the D2180 conversion but these haven't been available for years, if they ever actually were. If, by chance, any readers of this thread have a pair of sides sitting in a drawer and they have no use for them, TheLaird of this parish would dearly love to hear from you as he would like to model this coach for the Leeds City Norh project. Otherwise, it'll have to be a BR Mark 1 RF in 1M28 as in Dave's photograph, far less interesting!

• RMweb Gold

C 9212 is that the green 108 at the back of the train?

Yes, it is the green one.

The ecs was being moved in to the bay platform for a Cumbrian Coast working.

David

• RMweb Premium

The photo of a very wet carlisle, followed by one of the very welcoming Travellers' Fare sent me straight to make a coffee.

Reminded me of hot steak and kidney pies from the TF on Doncaster Station (and elsewhere of course).

• Like 1

Love the photo of the buffet at Carlisle. If any picture just screams "1980's" that's the one!

Does anyone else remember the microwaved bacon baps with slices of tomato which were hotter than the sun?

Great pictures as ever, this thread is an essential daily visit.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Highland photos. The first two show what a remarkable structure the Tomatin Findhorn Viaduct is. It would make a most stunning model. The bridge at Invershin is yet another lovely example of how bridges, and viaducts too, could be designed by the one-time railway companies. You do not have such attention to detail and appearance these days. What a delight they are to see.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

P.S. I wonder if anyone can identify the 24 in C007 at Thurso? I think it might be a bit of a challenge.