Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I see that large boat is there in last photo been repainted when I went past earlier this year ,did you sample the lovely cockles Dave?

I often went to Leigh on Sea at the weekends when I lived in Basildon.  The cockles and other seafood were always worth sampling.

David

• Like 2

The first set for today, somewhat late as I fell asleep after lunch - I seem to have a virus which although improving has left me feeling very weak and incredibly tired.

Anyway, here is a set of photos from the Foxfield Railway taken in 1975 and 1976.

attachicon.gifa Dilhorne RSH 0-4-0CT Roker 28th Sept 75 C2450.jpg.

Dilhorne RSH 0-4-0CT Roker 28th Sept 75 C2450

attachicon.gifb Dilhorne Platform Bagnall Hawarden Platform Bagnall Hawarden Dilhorne to Cash Heath Wharf 28th Sept 75 C2464.jpg

Dilhorne Platform Bagnall Hawarden Platform Bagnall Hawarden    Dilhorne to Cash Heath Wharf 28th Sept 75 C2464

attachicon.gifDilhorne Avonside Robert July 76 C2893.jpg

Dilhorne Avonside Robert July 76 C2893

attachicon.gifDilhorne Avonside Cranford July 76 C2895.jpg

Dilhorne Avonside Cranford July 76 C2895

attachicon.gifDilhorne Bagnall Hawarden July 76 C2906.jpg

Dilhorne Bagnall Hawarden July 76 C2906

attachicon.gifCaverswall Road LC Bagnall Hawarden July 76 C2917.jpg

Caverswall Road LC Bagnall Hawarden July 76 C2917

David

C2906, the chap leaning out of the cab of Hawarden is Allan C. Baker, then owner of Hawarden and subsequently published author of various books and articles of industrial railways and railways of North Staffordshire. The location is actually Blythe Bridge exchange sidings, the connection to the mainline being the one behind the loco, the line in the foreground heads off to Foxfield Colliery.

• RMweb Gold

C2906, the chap leaning out of the cab of Hawarden is Allan C. Baker, then owner of Hawarden and subsequently published author of various books and articles of industrial railways and railways of North Staffordshire. The location is actually Blythe Bridge exchange sidings, the connection to the mainline being the one behind the loco, the line in the foreground heads off to Foxfield Colliery.

Thanks for giving me the correct location for the photo, I've altered the caption. It's also nice to know the identity of the person on the loco, I think I've read some of his work.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Skipton in 1968 and 1983 today.

The trackside photos were once again taken with permission, the photographers were allowed onto the track.

attachicon.gifSkipton Sta North Junction Class 5s 44899 and 45290 Special Stockport to Morecambe March 68 J1222.jpg

kipton Sta North Junction Class 5s 44899 and 45290 Special Stockport to Morecambe March 68 J1222

attachicon.gifSkipton Sta North Junction Class 5s 44899 and 45290 Special Stockport to Morecambe March 68 J1224.jpg

Skipton Sta North Junction Class 5s 44899 and 45290 Special Stockport to Morecambe March 68 J1224

attachicon.gifSkipton 4472 Flying Scotsman special to Morecambe March 68 J1227.jpg

Skipton 4472 Flying Scotsman special to Morecambe March 68 J1227

attachicon.gifSkipton Class 5s 45447 and 45110 special No2 Stockport to Morecambe March 68 J1231.jpg

Skipton Class 5s 45447 and 45110 special No2 Stockport to Morecambe March 68 J1231

attachicon.gifSkipton Class 25 Class 101 Class 31 Aug 83 C6244.jpg

Skipton Class 25    Class 101    Class 31      Aug 83 C6244

David

The last photo definitely looks like a model!

Regards, Ian.

C6244 - what was the source of the white powder(?) down the centre of the tracks in this photo? On the nearest one you can see it coating the rail head on the turnout, and a little pile where whatever was carrying it had paused...

Cracking photos as usual, David, many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

C6244 - what was the source of the white powder(?) down the centre of the tracks in this photo? On the nearest one you can see it coating the rail head on the turnout, and a little pile where whatever was carrying it had paused...

Cracking photos as usual, David, many thanks.

It will be limestone dust from the quarry at Swinden on the Grassington branch.

Edited to correct Swinden from Cracoe.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Skipton photos. In particular J1231 of Black Fives, 45447 and 45110. They make a splendid sight hauling that special train to Morecambe in March, 1968.

The tall starter signal in the last photo has clearly been altered over the years. It is shorter, and the distant arm has been removed.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I know you like identifying those DMU classes, but I think the one in C6244 is a 111 because the destination blind is lower than that on a 101. Great photos as usual.

Dave

Hi, Davexoc. You're quite right about the DMU in that photo'. It is one of the last batch of ten to be delivered to the NER of BR in 1959. They were, in the 1980's converted to one engine per car, and the centre trailers were removed to allow the conversions. All were withdrawn by 1989.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. Here's the link to the Railcar page which describes them in detail:

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-111/

• RMweb Gold

The tall starter signal in the last photo has clearly been altered over the years. It is shorter, and the distant arm has been removed.

The two other running line signals have also changed, one has been replaced by a tubular steel posted signal and the other replaced by a tall siding signal

• RMweb Gold

Skipton Class 25    Class 101    Class 31      Aug 83 C6244 The 101 is actually a 111.

You have omitted the Type 2 in the siding. There was often something there.

The 25 in my caption is the one in the siding.  There may also be a loco on the tanks at the buffer stops, but I am not sure what it was.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

J2949 is a class 85, the grilles are in a bodyside recess, like on a 86 or 87. AL1s had a flush side.

J4474 has a flush side. I don't think it is an 82.

Agree that J2949 is an 85, and J4474 is an 81.

And those Mk3s in J4477 must have been almost brand new. Forgot how old they actually are because seeing them behind a loco displaying a headcode just seems wrong.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Agree that J2949 is an 85, and J4474 is an 81.

And those Mk3s in J4477 must have been almost brand new. Forgot how old they actually are because seeing them behind a loco displaying a headcode just seems wrong.

Regards,

Dave

There were 4 sets of Mk3s diagrammed for the May 1975 timetable, all used on Liverpool and Manchester services.

More local goodness at Hillmorton, many thanks for sharing those Dave... J817 with the radio masts warms the cockles rather nicely, many's the time we'd be coming back from visiting our grandparents in London on a Sunday night in the '70s, looking out for the red lights on the masts as we slowed for the Rugby stop  ;) 

• Like 1

J1222. MK2's! Try modelling that. Someone would be muttering about 'prototype' under their breath! Great photo.

Regards

Guy

Green Mk2 FKs were a regular sight in the consists of LSW main line services in the latter days of steam...