RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Bressingham Hudswell Clarke Bronllwyd Aug 72 J3098  The late Alan Bloom driving. I also have photos somewhere of Alan driving.

My last trip to Bressingham was also many years ago, although a little earlier I was involved with a MAFF training course at the nursery (it was a world famous working plant nursery, responsible for the popularising of miniature conifers and the introduction of a reddish New Zealand flax which is popular for ornamental planting). We were able to  have a good look around in the evening when the course finished.

Paul

• Like 1

Hello David, an early Happy New Year to you!!

Love the Brush 4 at Grantham C843! My first visit there was about 1970 and I recall standing where that spotter is peering south for approaching Deltics! You could identify them quite a way off as the massive full yellow nose was so distinctive and the 'Napier howl' was audible at an early stage! 

Wonderfully evocative!! Best wishes, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bressingham photos, which show how it was, and in the last photo, 46100, Royal Scot makes an impressive sight.

The photos from around Grantham are delightful, and remind me of journeys through there to Kings Cross from Hull. The last photo of class 47, 1764, in February, 1972, is very atmospheric in the cloudy and wet weather.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

East Coast Mine line for this evening, around Grantham.

attachicon.gifCorby Glen Class 47 down 13.15 Kings X to Leeds Central April 63 J035.jpg

Corby Glen Class 47 down 13.15 Kings X to Leeds Central April 63 J035

attachicon.gifBurton le Coggles Class 47 1581 up ex pass 13.35 Leeds to Kings X Aug 71 C676.jpg

Burton le Coggles Class 47 1581? up ex pass 13.35 Leeds to Kings X Aug 71 C676

attachicon.gifBurton le Coggles Class 47 down cement Nov 74 J4087.jpg

Burton le Coggles Class 47 down cement Nov 74 J4087

attachicon.gifq Grantham Class 55 08.10 Newcastle to Kings X Sept 71 C726.jpg

Grantham Class 55 08.10 Newcastle to Kings X Sept 71 C726

attachicon.gifGrantham Class 47 1760 Newcastle to Kings X Feb 72 C843.jpg

Grantham Class 47 1764 Newcastle to Kings X Feb 72 C843

David

Another fantastic set of ECML photos David. Thank you for posting. I love the cement train in J4087. A right old mix of wagon types. With regards to the 47 in C676, I don't think it is 1581. There is a suggestion of ETH fittings on the buffer beam, which would indicate one of the first 20 "Westinghouse" generator locos. Could it be a transposition error on the number and it is 1518 instead? I also think the 47 in J035 is a generator one as well, as there is a suggestion of an ETH cable beneath the RH buffer, but as to the number??????????

Thank you once again for sharing the photos with us, and best wishes for 2018, and even more photos.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Every now and then David you post a picture that stands head and shoulders above the rest. C843 is such a picture; absolutely dripping with atmosphere. A really lovely shot. Thanks and all the best for 2018.

• RMweb Gold

Another fantastic set of ECML photos David. Thank you for posting. I love the cement train in J4087. A right old mix of wagon types. With regards to the 47 in C676, I don't think it is 1581. There is a suggestion of ETH fittings on the buffer beam, which would indicate one of the first 20 "Westinghouse" generator locos. Could it be a transposition error on the number and it is 1518 instead? I also think the 47 in J035 is a generator one as well, as there is a suggestion of an ETH cable beneath the RH buffer, but as to the number??????????

Thank you once again for sharing the photos with us, and best wishes for 2018, and even more photos.

Paul J.

Paul,  Many thanks for the comments.  I agree entirely with your thoughts about the 47 in C676 not being 1581, but I've no idea which one it really is.  I cannot read it on my scan and I know it wasn't clear on the slide either.  I probably wrote down the numbers of the locos I photographed that day at the time  but when I wrote the slide catalogue I may not have attached the numbers to the correct images.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Every now and then David you post a picture that stands head and shoulders above the rest. C843 is such a picture; absolutely dripping with atmosphere. A really lovely shot. Thanks and all the best for 2018.

Many thanks for the comment.

Even after 45 years I can actually remember that day.  I'd been visiting my parents who then lived near Grantham and was on my way back to Manchester from Grantham via Retford and Sheffield.

It was bitterly cold, only just warm enough for it to be rain not snow.     By the time I got to Retford the weather was even worse.  

I often found that photos taken in really bad weather can turn out very well, as I think this one did.

David

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks that the two-tone Green with small panels was a totally suitable livery for the Brush Type 4s?

Happy New Year to you Dave, thanks for all your postings in the past year.

HNY to everyone else, too... :)

EDIT:

East Coast Mine line for this evening, around Grantham.

I see no coal trains, though... :jester:

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

I was at Bressingham at about the same time as you. Very enjoyable, especially the run on the narrow gauge, and yes i am pretty sure it was the same loco and driver. But your photos are streets ahead of mine, which were also probably on Agra film as it seemed about the best at the time.

I seem to remember a very hot day walking from the station with our son in his pushchair. He and his family have just left after a short visit. Even the grandchildren have long forsaken pushchairs.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only one who thinks that the two-tone Green with small panels was a totally suitable livery for the Brush Type 4s?

It was the livery which they were designed to carry - at a (brief) time when railway infrastructure design was taken seriously.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not being funny, your image collection is fantastic. But how on earth did you manage to afford all the film and processing?  My Dad was a Biology teacher and all we could afford were a few 12 exposure B&W rolls per year ! You must have spent most of your combined disposable income on film stock and processing?

Good job that you did mind! The collection is superb!

• RMweb Gold

Not being funny, your image collection is fantastic. But how on earth did you manage to afford all the film and processing?  My Dad was a Biology teacher and all we could afford were a few 12 exposure B&W rolls per year ! You must have spent most of your combined disposable income on film stock and processing?

Good job that you did mind! The collection is superb!

I often wonder how we afforded it too.

In Dad's case both he and Mum worked, photography was a hobby for both of them.

I was also a teacher and had the good fortune to get promoted while I was still in my mid twenties which helped. I also didn't have expensive holidays very often.

David

Happy New Year David !

That explains it ! My Mum didn't work, so we only had my Dad's income, I'm younger than you,( born 1960) so couldn't afford a "proper" camera and film until I went to Art College in 1979 - still remember the glee in getting back my first yellow plastic box of Kodak slides ( as well as the smell!) These days everyone has a camera on their phone and they don't even think about it, but what to take photos of on the last few frames of a roll was a big decision!!

Wonderful work! 

Best

• Like 1

I must say I'd never heard the term 'bog-cart' before I came across it on RMweb - in the '70s & '80s we always called them 'bog-units', but maybe we're just posh in Lincolnshire... ;) :)

In Devon ( mainly Exmouth/Exeter) we used to call them "Bugs"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy New year David, great pictures of Shildon today only seems like yesterday that I was P'd off that my patents didn't take me there!

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I wish you a very Happy New Year. I hope it will be most peaceful and prosperous for you.

Those are some fantastic photos from Shildon. Memories are brought back from that event and year. The K1 2005 in LNER green livery shows how good the class would have looked if they had all been finished in it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos. The first one is so atmospheric of the HST at Damdykes, On 22nd, January, 1984. It makes me feel very cold! The last one at Morpeth, with 37076 on an up pipe train in August, 1980, is a great shot, and I see the light level is very low - late in the day?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photos. The first one is so atmospheric of the HST at Damdykes, On 22nd, January, 1984. It makes me feel very cold! The last one at Morpeth, with 37076 on an up pipe train in August, 1980, is a great shot, and I see the light level is very low - late in the day?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It was indeed very late in the day, I'd followed (or rather chased) the train from just south of Berwick on Tweed to get that photo.

It isn't that easy to drive fast on roads in Northumberland.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1