Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C for Cowdenbeath! Could even predict that if taken in the 80s would have been a 101 or 20s. Was brought up near that line with it relatively narrow range of traction. Inverkeithing a few miles away with its 47s, 27s, 26s, 101s and HSTs was a revelation. Your wonderful photos capture what I missed elsewhere on the network.

Thanks for all your posts and to all the comments made by you and others to go along with them. This is still one of my favourite forums.

Crianlarich July 73 C1351

Ah the good old days when, not only was it deemed safe to work near the line without being clothed head to toe in bright yellow, but to be half undressed - no worries about the lack of ozone layer protection! And I'll admit us lads when doing scientific fieldwork dressed very similarly.

The flowers - not just a bed but long lines of them are really pretty.

Paul

• Like 2

you can see the track in the middle of the photo leading to a building. I'm not fully sure what the building is though. A goods warehouse or engine shed?

It was used to house the Lewin (and others locos) that were small enough to work on under the staithes and through the tunnel that served a track 75 yards of so to the photographers right. That in turn had once served the beach railway as far as Bessies Hole via Featherbed Rocks.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-5th-january/page-469&do=findComment&comment=2928006

The loco was used during repair works to the North Pier. About the time the photo was taken it was used by the likes of Gordon Napier and others for storing their nets and lobster pots.

I think the last time a loco was used on those tracks was in the early 1970's when the Lewin was returned by lorry, for use in filming, Bronowski's Ascent of Man.

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southern photo's. They are full of both atmosphere and interest. The second photo' is a fantastic shot of a class 411 EMU, 7166, at Bax Crossing in May, 1977. And Dover Marine station makes a fine sight in J5893, with some good roof detail on the class 411 units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

J5898 - as there were fewer SRN4 hovercraft (only 6) than Deltics, it shouldn't be too much bovver to identify it...

A Swift look on Wiki at Sir Christopher and his creations reveal it could be either The Princess Anne or Margaret, or possibly The Prince of Wales, but I couldn't be Sure...

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Today's preserved railway photos come from Castle Hedingham.

attachicon.gifCastle Hedingham Vulcan Foundry Austerity 72 2nd April 77 C3261.jpg

Castle Hedingham Vulcan Foundry Austerity 72 2nd April 77 C3261

attachicon.gifCastle Hedingham Barclay ex Chatham Victory and Avonside Barrington ex Rugby Cement May 79 C4493.jpg

Castle Hedingham Barclay ex Chatham Victory and Avonside Barrington ex Rugby Cement May 79 C4493

attachicon.gifCastle Hedingham Avonside Barrington May 79 C4496.jpg

Castle Hedingham Avonside Barrington May 79 C4496

attachicon.gifCastle Hedingham Avonside Barrington May 79 C4497.jpg

Castle Hedingham Avonside Barrington May 79 C4497

attachicon.gifCastle Hedingham Norwegian coach May 79 C4567.jpg

Castle Hedingham Norwegian coach May 79 C4567

attachicon.gifCastle Hedingham Barclay Victory and Hunslet WD190 May 79 C4568.jpg

Castle Hedingham Barclay Victory and Hunslet WD190 May 79 C4568

David

I lived in Essex for 40 years give or take a couple of weeks. Not once did I visit Castle Hedingham Railway. The village yes but the railway was always on the list of may be one day.

I lived in Essex for 40 years give or take a couple of weeks. Not once did I visit Castle Hedingham Railway. The village yes but the railway was always on the list of may be one day.

I also lived in Essex for forty years (and one month), strange that! We did visit the railway as a family probably around 2002, it was quite a nice day out as there was quite a lot to entertain our then young children as well as a ride on the railway. I also visited the railway solo some years before that.

We actually went to Castle Hedingham to visit the castle which was closed for a wedding, something much less common in those days hence we didn't check first.

Martyn

Edited by mullie

• RMweb Premium

I also lived in Essex for forty years (and one month), strange that! We did visit the railway as a family probably around 2002, it was quite a nice day out as there was quite a lot to entertain our then young children as well as a ride on the railway. I also visited the railway solo some years before that.

We actually went to Castle Hedingham to visit the castle which was closed for a wedding, something much less common in those days hence we didn't check first.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Veering off topic a bit, I never visited the castle or the one at Hadliegh. When you live near something you can go and see, or do any day you never get round to doing it. How many Londoners have seen the changing of the guard, except those who were passing Buck house going form A to B at the time?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We are staying in Essex for today's second batch, this time at Chappel and Wakes Colne, home of both a BR station and a preservation site.

attachicon.gifChappel and Wakes Colne viaduct Sept 74 C1794.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne viaduct Sept 74 C1794

attachicon.gifb Chappel and Wakes Colne viaduct Sept 74 C1795.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne viaduct Sept 74 C1795

attachicon.gifChappel and Wakes Colne Sept 74 C1801.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne Sept 74 C1801

attachicon.gifb Chappel and Wakes Colne Cravens Class 105 pass to Colchester arriving Sept 78 C4127.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne Cravens Class 105 pass to Colchester arriving Sept 78 C4127

attachicon.gifb Chappel and Wakes Colne Class 105 coming off viaduct into platform May79 C4490.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne Class 105 coming off viaduct into platform May 79 C4490

attachicon.gifb Chappel and Wakes Colne view of site May 83 C6038.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne view of site May 83 C6038   This was taken a few years after I moved to Northumberland, I think I had been to Colchester for a meeting and must have made a detour on the way back.

David

Now I went there a few times, I even traveled on a Cravens rattle box to Sudbury from Marks Tey a few times as well.

​I have never lived in Essex.

Indeed, I have never, ever stayed overnight in Essex.

Hi Peter

Like everywhere it has some wonderful places, some not so and Basildon........................................................... and Harlow.

Romford is not in Essex, but the London borough of Havering. The GPO never changed the postal address from the boundary changes in the 1920s.

• RMweb Gold

Would i be right in assuming that the loco Barrington came originally from the cements works of the same name near Foxton?

Jonathan

I believe that is correct.

David

• RMweb Gold

Now I went there a few times, I even traveled on a Cravens rattle box to Sudbury from Marks Tey a few times as well.

Hi Peter

Like everywhere it has some wonderful places, some not so and Basildon........................................................... and Harlow.

Romford is not in Essex, but the London borough of Havering. The GPO never changed the postal address from the boundary changes in the 1920s.

There are worse places than Basildon - I lived there for six years which is when I took the Essex (and many other) photos in this thread.

I was fortunate to have a third floor studio flat with a view.  There weren't many like that in the town, most were much less nice.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a great set of photos of the Castle Hedingham line. Like many, it had, at that time, a most varied selection of locomotives and stock.

Chappel and Wakes Colne is just simply fascinating, and the photos reflect that perfectly. I like how you have two lines in the station itself, one preserved, and the other, part of the national network - BR at the time of the photos.

The Cravens units were quite a big part of the scene back then. Whether the preserved unit gets to make a visit I don’t know.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like there is no connection to NR at Chappel and Wakes Colne?

At the time there was no permanent connection.

At some time, I can't remember the date, a temporary connection could be made by disconnecting and slewing the BR track.

There is information on this in print somewhere, probably in a magazine, does anyone remember more?

David

We are staying in Essex for today's second batch, this time at Chappel and Wakes Colne, home of both a BR station and a preservation site.

attachicon.gifb Chappel and Wakes Colne Class 105 coming off viaduct into platform May79 C4490.jpg

Chappel and Wakes Colne Class 105 coming off viaduct into platform May 79 C4490

David

Hard to believe there was a fuel delivery siding to the right of the DMU.  

There is a ground frame nearer Marks Tey released by liverpool St and i think you can get an Annetts Key for Chappel Siding from there. If the function had been combined i believe the lineside circuits would have been too long for SSI and some sort of repeating would have been necessary putting the cost beyond what the museum could pay for.

I have a photo in a thin blue book called 'Stour Valley album' showing the track slewed so stock could move in and out. Forgive me if the title is not quite correct, it is late and I am three floors away from said book. I think there may be a permanent connection now?

Martyn