Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a superb set of photos of Edinburgh. The class 101 in J3265, going to Dundee, has all of its window pans painted. Yet many other 101’s had them left unpainted. I wonder why some, like those two three car sets, should have had them painted? Was it a Scottish variation?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. What a superb set of photos of Edinburgh. The class 101 in J3265, going to Dundee, has all of its window pans painted. Yet many other 101’s had them left unpainted. I wonder why some, like those two three car sets, should have had them painted? Was it a Scottish variation?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Doncaster and York also painted the frames for a short while. Mainly related to the change over to airless spraying.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, keefer, and 45125 for the information about the class 101 window frames. I have just remembered that I have seen one or two cars with painted frames at Beverley station in the late 1960's. However, I now also recall that the sliding top lights were sometimes left unpainted giving a quite unusual effect. It seems there is more to this subject than I could have imagined.

Best regards,

Rob.

I like the redundant semaphore posts behind the colour light in the cab view

The Draycott - Derby section of the Derby Area MAS resignalling was brought in over the weekend of 12th - 14th July 1969, so probably just 3 or 4 weeks before the photo was taken.

The SRS has copies of the notice available on their website, available in return for donations :-)

Edited by DavidBird

Photos taken on visits to Newcastle in 1974 and the 1980s today.

I always enjoy looking at my older photos to see how much things have changed over the years - and not just on the railway.

attachicon.gifNewcastle Class 45 special to Alnmouth and class 101 May 74 J3717.jpg

Newcastle Class 45 special to Alnmouth and class 101 May 74 J3717

attachicon.gifNewcastle Class 101 Middlesbrough to Newcastle May 74 J3719.jpg

Newcastle Class 101 Middlesbrough to Newcastle May 74 J3719

David

J3717:

Peak is clearly 45 002, helpfully renumbered at both ends, with class 03 lurking at the top.

J3719:

Second set does not look to be a class 101.

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

J3717:

Peak is clearly 45 002, helpfully renumbered at both ends, with class 03 lurking at the top.

J3719:

Second set does not look to be a class 101.

Thanks very much.

The second set in J3719 is a Class 108.  

But as everyone knows dmus are not my strong point.

Edited as Rob has posted the correct class below.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of Newcastle. In J3719, the second DMU behind the class 101 is actually a class 108, Derby lightweight. You tell from the roof vents, which are the shell type, Also the windows, which are lower waisted than a class 105 or class 101, and there are three and a half of them between the two doors, unlike in a Cravens class 105, which has just the three big windows between those two doors. Finally the cab windscreen is much taller than either a class 101 or class 105.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Photos taken on visits to Newcastle in 1974 and the 1980s today.

I always enjoy looking at my older photos to see how much things have changed over the years - and not just on the railway.

I totally agree with you. I have my photographs on random display as my screensaver. Many is the time that I'm just passing the study and I get drawn in and spend half an hour or more watching them go around, observing many things in addition to the railway changes.

What always comes to mind is how grimy and dirty many places were in the late 60s and the 70s - and yet they had a charm about them, from the smoke-encrusted warehouses around Manchester to the chimneys belching out clouds of pollutants in South Yorkshire, from the orange rivers of the Potteries to the coal dust blowing around the docks of South Wales. Towns, cities and countryside seemed to have so much more 'personality' than the uniformly sterile towns and cities of today, all with branches of exactly the same retail outlets in pristine lines.

In contrast, of course, the railway permanent way was mostly immaculately maintained (give or take the odd redundant signalling infrastructure), as opposed to the weed-riddled siding complexes and buddleia-infested walls of today!

• RMweb Gold

Who nicked the Freightliner containers (C6378)?

I think that was still BR land, part of the original NER freight depot.

J3717 - is that a Gresley/Thompson buffet car? (top of pic, partially hidden by the signals)

I'm not sure, and I can't tell on the original scan either.

I'm not sure when they were withdrawn.

David

I like J3713, with gateshead works crouching at the top of the Rabbit Banks.

I visited gateshead shed as 52A in 1966. No steam, and the other older spotters thought I was mad wanting to wander round inside the old works building.

I did much the same at stratford before it was all swept away. No locos, but plenty of atmosphere.

• Like 1

Today we have another visit to Lolham, north of Peterborough.

You may need to think about the exact location of one of the photos (C1484).

attachicon.gifLolham Class 40 up pw train Feb 74 C1484.jpg

Lolham Class 40 up pw train Feb 74 C1484

David

There is also something to think about in the description of C1484!

Edited by Western Glory

I find myself using Lolham crossing once a day at the moment. I'm installing point rodding at Tallington and to get there from the south i have to use Maxey crossing. My evening scorch home is via Lolham. There is an odd one way system over this crossing now.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That's a great set of photo's from Lolham. The carriage behind the 37 in the last photo' is a former Thompson SK. I think several Thompson's were used at that time in pw trains by BR. And the Deltic in C0842, 9001, makes a fine sight heading the 11.05, Bradford to KX, in February, 1972.

With warmest regards,

Rob.