Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a fantastic set of photos of Harrogate in the mid 1960’s. Like Clive said, they are most inspirational. In J205, the class 104 unit appears to have a different class of car for the third car. It has, on enlarging the photo’, unpainted window frames - 101 perhaps? The two steam hauled trains are great, and full of period atmosphere. Just how steam was towards the end.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting - in both J375 and J444, the leading Mk1 has red, not black, ends. Presumably they weren't just allocated to the WR then.

Hi Andrew

When BR began using spray paint they started to paint the ends of the coaches the same as the body side. if you look closely at colour photos and video/film it was quite common towards the end of the maroon/green period. This started at different works at slightly different times but all were doing so by the mid sixties, just before rail blue and grey became the norm.

• RMweb Gold

J5829 is carrying burnt lime for what is now the TATA plant at Port Talbot; I believe it was used in the Basic Oxygen steel plant, rather than in the blast furnaces. These wagons were used until a decade or so ago, being supplanted first by ex-Grainflow and other Polybulk bogie hoppers, and more recently by containers. The source of the lime changed as well, to Shap, and more recently, to  one of the quarries near Ferryhill.

Yes I was excited by J5829 too - looks like the Tunstead - Margam working to me. CBAs are MGRs with unique covers fitted - have struggled to find photos of them from above to illustrate walkways/loading hatches though

Phil

• RMweb Premium

C14400 - must have been a very quiet day - the crossover is still on 'reverse'...

Don't know what the exact configuration would have been when the photo was taken, but it is currently two single lines today.

EDIT - just looked back at C14400 and it is signalled as two single lines - same as today.

The left hand one swings round and carries on to Buxton and is effectively the "main line", whilst the one in the middle heads towards the sidings at Tunstead.

post-408-0-07220300-1515772536_thumb.jpg

This is 97303 about another 300 yards further south. It is heading towards Peak Forest returning from a route learning trip to Hindlow and Dowlow. Taken from near the single electrical pole in the above picture.

post-408-0-73639300-1515772524_thumb.jpg

Walking about 3/4 mile further on and then looking back towards Great Rocks, the main line is on the right, complete with fixed distant board, with the overgrown line to the left of it, that eventually enters the Tunstead complex about 1/4 mile behind where the photograph was taken from.

The sidings on the left eventually come out as the right hand line in the first pic.

post-408-0-17378200-1515772546_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18

The Grantham to Nottingham line again today at Bottesford.

attachicon.gifBottesford 2 Class 20 to Skegness Aug 82 C5855.jpg

Bottesford 2 Class 20 to Skegness Aug 82 C5855

David

Identifying the first loco should be easy but it's not. It might be 2000x, however last digit is barely visible. Clues to the ID are dents in the cab door below the handle and the two marks on the solebar, if that helps any!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the fantastic set of Grantham to Nottingham photo's. I like those with pairs of Class 20's, they seemed so synonymous with the summer extras to Skegness, along with the trains formed mainly of Mk1 carriages. Also the Class 114 unit makes a great sight in C5954, at Bottesford, in February, 1983.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Identifying the first loco should be easy but it's not. It might be 2000x, however last digit is barely visible. Clues to the ID are dents in the cab door below the handle and the two marks on the solebar, if that helps any!

.... and the second loco in C5858 will be 20 135, which was paired with 20 180 for several days at the end of August 1982 (the only appearances of either loco that month).

Very few 20 0xx series locos put in an appearance that month. The only ones that are logged are 20 016/041/047/071/075/077/087 and (to me) C5855 doesn't look like any of those. There doesn't appear to be much room between the fourth digit and the handrail for a broad number and the fourth digit looks like a 0 or a 3 to me.

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that's a 114 that we are looking from in the first shot, maybe a 120?

Cracking shots again..

Andy G

You could well be right, I was going by trying to remember the usual dmu used.

David

You could well be right, I was going by trying to remember the usual dmu used.

David

Its certainly a two piece screen so either 105 or 120 and as it looks like a fairly low height screen, 120 would be favourite.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo's. The first one does indeed show a view of the line ahead from a 120 unit. As said, the size, and height of the screen is a big clue, along with the characteristic 'thick' window pillar. Then in J5299, the unit is a class 116. As stated the four marker lights are a big clue, and also the TCL not having a toilet helps too, plus the allocation of the units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

My old haunt of Spondon in the first shot, with the train approaching the site of Spondon Junction. I used to go over Raynesway bridge, in the background, everyday on a Trent bus to grammar school. 

The last shot at Sutton B is really atmospheric. Cecil Paget (of MR fame) is buried in the graveyard just to the right of the picture.

Thanks for the memories David.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a great set of photos of the Great Central Railway in the 1970’s. The last one of the N2 is superb, capturing the classic lines and grace of the engine perfectly. In C3016, Butler Henderson was looking well cared for, and on the railway the engine was designed to run on.

With warmest regards,

Rob.