Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Some fascinating stuff there, David.

In my ignorance, I hadn't realised that the station at New Holland Pier was actually on the pier. It being about the only (active - to a degree) branch on the East Coast that I still haven't travelled on, I had assumed that the station was at the land end of the pier.

The Crewe shots bring back many memories. My first visit was three months after that set were taken. A schoolfriend and I stayed at his aunt's (or gran's - I forget), in Wolverhampton, for a few days, and we spent a day in Manchester, a day in Crewe and a third day here and there. It's funny, I don't remember the class 50s looking as filthy as they appear in C490 (although all of the class 24s that we saw around Crewe and Stoke were absolutely black, it was difficult to tell whether they were blue or still green). One of the highlights of the day at Crewe, apart from the 27 Class 50s that we saw, was Class 74 electro-diesel E6105, humming southwards after a visit to the works.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 35A said:

Some fascinating stuff there, David.

In my ignorance, I hadn't realised that the station at New Holland Pier was actually on the pier. It being about the only (active - to a degree) branch on the East Coast that I still haven't travelled on, I had assumed that the station was at the land end of the pier.

The Crewe shots bring back many memories. My first visit was three months after that set were taken. A schoolfriend and I stayed at his aunt's (or gran's - I forget), in Wolverhampton, for a few days, and we spent a day in Manchester, a day in Crewe and a third day here and there. It's funny, I don't remember the class 50s looking as filthy as they appear in C490 (although all of the class 24s that we saw around Crewe and Stoke were absolutely black, it was difficult to tell whether they were blue or still green). One of the highlights of the day at Crewe, apart from the 27 Class 50s that we saw, was Class 74 electro-diesel E6105, humming southwards after a visit to the works.

There is also a station at the land end of the pier, New Holland Town.  The line beyond it onto the pier and pier station is now long gone.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The pictures of Crewe, particularly C500 - strange that such a major station/interchange on the WCML still retains so much of the old British Railways era signage, 6 years after the introduction of the Corporate Image. The electrification was supposed to be the cutting-edge of the new Image, complete with the new Mk2 coaches in blue/grey.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb set of photo’s of Barkston and Newark, on the ECML in 1968. The first photo’ at Barkston, with a class 114, Derby Heavyweight unit, on a Skegness to Grantham service, in September, 1968, shows that the unit was carrying two versions of the corporate blue livery. The DTCL, the leading car, has a small yellow panel, the arrows of indecision are on the cab doors, and there is no yellow stripe above the first class windows. The DMBS has the later full yellow cab ends, and those arrows are under the first big passenger window behind the cab. I feel it is a hybrid unit with one car painted later than the other one.

The last photo’ is a beautifully composed shot, at Newark, of class 40, D206, on a Leeds to Kings Cross express of Mkl stock, in April, 1968.

The photo’s of New Holland Pier are fascinating, so nostalgic, and bring back many memories. Thank you for posting them, David. My late Mum recounted, how, in the early 1950’s when she frequently visited a friend who lived in Barton on Humber, that the ferry would often get stuck on a sandbank, just as you’ve said yourself. But she never got seasick, and enjoyed being on the ferry. 

The first photo’ of PS Lincoln Castle, in August, 1977, is truly superb, and Mum would have enjoyed seeing it. I certainly do. 

I like the family portrait of you and your Mum in the last photo’, by the ramp down to the ferry, in March, 1978. 

The photo’s of Crewe, from the 13th March, 1971, are an excellent selection. In C482, with class 25, 7615, on an up train of empties, it is clear that diesel and electric traction taking over from steam had been the only big change at Crewe. Just look at the wonky running in nameboard to the right.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DaveF said:

The ECML again this morning at Barkston and Newark almost 55 years ago in 1968.

1853544248_cBarkstonClass114SleafordtoGranthamSept68J1407.jpg.464cbefdfb3f5b5446562fa1ab346f6e.jpg

Barkston Class 114 Skegness to Grantham Sept 68 J1407

1674049369_cBarkstonClass114GranthamtoMablethorpeSept68J1418.jpg.8b114dec8c309481db515ac14c01bce6.jpg

Barkston Class 114 Grantham to Mablethorpe Sept 68 J1418

David

Unless I’m very much mistaken, that’s the same DMU in those photos J1407 and J1418. The livery and weathering look identical.

I’ve not included the photo above, but I was interested to see that the Halifax to Kings Cross train had the headcode 1E59. I always assumed Halifax was an Eastern Region station but it can’t have been for an inter regional headcode.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Unless I’m very much mistaken, that’s the same DMU in those photos J1407 and J1418. The livery and weathering look identical.

I’ve not included the photo above, but I was interested to see that the Halifax to Kings Cross train had the headcode 1E59. I always assumed Halifax was an Eastern Region station but it can’t have been for an inter regional headcode.

The headcodes at the time were interesting.

1A07 was the 08.55 Hull to Kings X

1E87 was the 17.40 Hull to Kings X

E was used for all the Leeds, Halifax and Bradford trains in both directions.

1E95 was the 23.32 Edinburgh to Peterborough working.

The details are from the Napier Chronicles website, they make for interesting reading.  It contains the main train details from 1960 to 1981 for the ECML. - headcodes, departure times and destinations.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/  (it may produce a warning of not being secure, I've not had problems).

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The headcodes at the time were interesting.

1A07 was the 08.55 Hull to Kings X

1E87 was the 17.40 Hull to Kings X

E was used for all the Leeds, Halifax and Bradford trains in both directions.

1E95 was the 23.32 Edinburgh to Peterborough working.

The details are from the Napier Chronicles website, they make for interesting reading.  It contains the main train details from 1960 to 1981 for the ECML. - headcodes, departure times and destinations.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/  (it may produce a warning of not being secure, I've not had problems).

David

Interesting. I’m going by the 1970s and what I remember is all up trains to Kings Cross were 1Axx and down trains to Leeds and Bradford were 1Lxx. 1Exx were interregional to the ER, which would fit your Edinburgh (ScR) to Peterborough (ER) train.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

It's interesting how the use of headcodes evolved, through the Sixties and into the Seventies. I've recently been revisiting a lot of my archived notes (which I've held on Excel spreadsheets for the last 20 years, for convenience) and updating some of the headcode information. Some of them seem totally illogical.

From what I remember, being an East Coast lad, in the Sixties they tended to be applied by line of route with odd numbers for up trains and evens for down trains. "The Flying Scotsman" (for example) being 1A16 down and 1A35 up. By 1969 this had been changed to a divisional system, in the familiar ascending sequence. Services up to London were xAxx, to King's Cross Division (generally) were xBxx,  down to Doncaster Division were xDxx, Hull trains were xHxx, West Yorkshire were xLxx, Newcastle Division were xNxx etc., plus the nationally accepted inter-regional codes. Gradually, these changed further. Hull was absorbed into xLxx and later (1980s IIRC) all of the xLxx codes became xDxx. Inter-regional specials were xZxx and Eastern Region internals xGxx - on the WCML, of course, xGxx was West Midlands, so they seemed to use xTxx for their internal specials, as far as I can make out. Then you've got the Scottish Region using xOxx (the inter-regional code for the Southern Region) for E&G trains and xAxx for Aberdeens. All a bit of a minefield!!!

E&OE 😁

• Informative/Useful 4

Despite having lived all my life in Lincolnshire, first in Cleethorpes, now in Scunthorpe, I've only ever visited New Holland once, on a junior school trip that visited Wilberforce house, Bridlington and Flamborough Head, crossing the Humber via the Ferry.

I remember there was a B1 in the pier station.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaveF said:

647436290_CreweClass86E3161downexpassnotedieselsonshed13thMarch71C490.jpg.94f4561029f52f8391509995738bd4c3.jpg

Crewe Class 86 E3161 down ex pass, note diesels on shed 13th March 71 C490

I can just remember in my minds eye that three way siding and the bufferstop/seat.

Was it used for motive power swaps or to attach/remove parcels vehicles from trains?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of Peterborough and Grantham, and in the first photo’ of two class 25’s, both unidentified, with the leading one in blue livery and the other still in green, on a Norwich to Birmingham service, on the 27th July, 1974, it is a delightful portrait shot of that leading 25, with, in the headcode box, just behind the M the small lightbulb is just visible. I can hear the rasping from the exhaust pipes as the class 114 departs from Grantham in J7025, on a service to Derby, in July, 1980.

The London Tilbury and Southend photo’s at West Horndon and Laindon, are a superb selection, with C455, at West Horndon, with 308315, on an up passenger service, in May, 1979, it can be seen that the EMU had recently been repainted, and the dark brown underframe and bogies are clearly visible. 

The Settle and Carlisle photo’s of the viaduct at Long Marton and Aisgill, are a delightful set, with J3353, at Aisgill, with a class 50, 428, on a down parcels train, in August, 1973, being a most excellent composition bringing back plenty of happy memories. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LongRail said:

Dave must say given the age of the photos and the time taken the quality and clarity of the image is fantastic must have used a better than average camera 

Thanks very much for the comment.  They are Dad's photos, the one at Saltash was taken on Ilford slide fim (Ilfochrome, either 25 or 50 ASA (ISO) with a Retina 1a camera - reasonable quality for the time.  The ones at Pirbright Junction were taken with a Miranda Sensomat slr on Agfa 50ASA (ISO50) slide film.

Dad always kept his slides in slide boxes or projector magazines which kept out the light so there wasn't much fading.  Then  I scanned them about 20 years with a Minolta slide scanner at a reasonable resolution.

I am always surprised how well they display on a monitor or TV.

David

• Like 8