Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Carlisle. Always a very interesting place from the railway perspective. There are several begrimed locos to be seen. I especially like 47229 in the first photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Smashing as always Dave

Was that unfitted brake van in C5114 still in traffic in 1980?

Cheers

Phil

There were still unfitted freights around Blyth then, both coal trains and the alumina workings from Blyth to Lynemouth. Whilst the coal workings went over to air-braked stock around the time of the miners' strike, the alumina trains remained unfitted for about another decade. Most of the bauxite-painted vans were unfitted as well. Edited by Fat Controller

Smashing as always Dave

Was that unfitted brake van in C5114 still in traffic in 1980?

Cheers

Phil

The last photo I have of an unfitted brake van in is late 1988. I can remember working unfitted trains with brake vans mainly engineers, until 1987 myself. Technically no Brake van was unfitted if it was at the tail end of a train as it would have a guard in who could apply the brake. By the late 1980's most brake vans I saw and photographed where piped, I saw very few fitted ones, and only have two photos of vac fitted brake vans. The real crunch for unfitted or pipe brake vans was the abolition of Class 9 trains.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

in C8353  the mk1 FK in the left background seems to have a lot of writing on it.

Now the mk1s didn't generally have even 'Inter-City' on them, so i'm wondering if it's a Motorail rake and the lettering says 'Inter-City Motorail' - these had FKs with a reserved compartment for each carload.

Was this a usual branding for those rakes? And i suppose that even if they were used for some other service, the Motorail rakes would be kept together?

Nice detail shot of the 08 too.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

in C8353  the mk1 FK in the left background seems to have a lot of writing on it.

Now the mk1s didn't generally have even 'Inter-City' on them, so i'm wondering if it's a Motorail rake and the lettering says 'Inter-City Motorail' - these had FKs with a reserved compartment for each carload.

Was this a usual branding for those rakes? And i suppose that even if they were used for some other service, the Motorail rakes would be kept together?

Nice detail shot of the 08 too.

It could be.  The Inter City liveried coach in front of it has "InterCity" on it, as seen in the photo below which shows the same train after the 31 had coupled up to it.  The diversions that day were because of damage to the overhead somewhere to the south of Carlisle.

Of course it does help in having all my other photos handy when trying to answer the questions.

post-5613-0-42991200-1459967152_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 31162 relief Glasgow to Euston diverted via S&C 21st April 87 C8354

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

There are three words visible. Each one is the right length for the respective words. It is almost certainly Inter-City Motorail. I cannot think what else it could be.

With best regards,

Rob.

The last photo I have of an unfitted brake van in is late 1988. I can remember working unfitted trains with brake vans mainly engineers, until 1987 myself. Technically no Brake van was unfitted if it was at the tail end of a train as it would have a guard in who could apply the brake. By the late 1980's most brake vans I saw and photographed where piped, I saw very few fitted ones, and only have two photos of vac fitted brake vans. The real crunch for unfitted or pipe brake vans was the abolition of Class 9 trains.

Paul J.

I have a couple or so on my site in 1991 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507/e2a7d245c with a fair number in 1989 and 1990. CARs continued in use for a lot longer.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It could be.  The Inter City liveried coach in front of it has "InterCity" on it, as seen in the photo below which shows the same train after the 31 had coupled up to it.  The diversions that day were because of damage to the overhead somewhere to the south of Carlisle.

David

Thanks for that Dave. I suppose if they needed coaches at short notice for reliefs due to problems, they might just need to use whatever they could get hold of.

• RMweb Gold

Of course it does help in having all my other photos handy when trying to answer the questions.

attachicon.gifCarlisle 31162 relief Glasgow to Euston diverted via S&C 21st April 87 C8354.jpg

David

Thanks for that Dave. I suppose if they needed coaches at short notice for reliefs due to problems, they might just need to use whatever they could get hold of.

I should have added that the WCML timetable that day was certainly not working as it should have done.  Every train was being announced as a "relief" which may well explain the stock being used.  Down trains were so late that it would have been impossible for the stock to be have used for the planned return workings to London.

David

• RMweb Gold

Paul J.

Do Pendelinos need brake vans, aren't they class 9?

Must be interesting ride for the guard!

Mike.

Do Pendelinos need brake vans, aren't they class 9?

Must be interesting ride for the guard!

Mike.

Technically it's not a brake van its a passenger coach and he has an "office" nowadays. He should have to put up with the same ride as the paying punters anyway.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

That first shot is absolutely stunning Dave, is that the get carter staithes opposite?

I believe that is correct.

C15771 Just look at that curve! Second radius I should think....

Phil

I don't think I have seen a curve on a British railway as sharp as that before. It is quite an eye-opener!

Best regards,

Rob.

It was very sharp indeed.  C19941 shows a way of hiding the exit to a fiddle yard - but no one would believe it.

David 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of Morpeth today. The gates were also used at other locations, including Walton Street LC in Hull.

Some good photos of 37's are amongst those you have posted, especially C5187, and would be good framed and hung on a wall.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I love boom gates for some reason, the only location I know of them outside the former NE region was Parkeston.

The redmire branch had a few handwoked sets