Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Dave, may your tardis never break down, and continue to spill forth such wonderful images of the everyday past. I look to this everyday to see what delights you have chosen to share with us.

Love c8530, with the HAA standing on the dirt (or what is discribed now as a earth fault), minus it's buffers and probably some other bits you can't see.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the Bluebell Railway - when wishing to go back in time, all I have to do is look at your photo's, and those of the Bluebell Railway are a good example of that.

And then the Blyth and Tyne. So interesting to see that class 14 in the first photo. It looks as if it never really ceased working for BR! And what a lovely frame those trees make in the last one.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C3148; what is that LNER-looking coach first behind the loco?

It's the Bluebell's GNR Saloon 706E, originally built in 1897 and refitted in 1933 by the LNER.  It was a GNR Director's saloon, and continued to be used as such by the LNER.  In BR days, until 1969, it was the Eastern Region General manager's saloon.  In 1969 BR sold it.

More details here:    http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/gnr_saloon.html

David

Sorry to hijack your topic David for a post, but just to reminisce on spending a happy day back in 1986 travelling up and down the Bluebell, being wined & dined in the GN Directors Saloon courtesy of the GN Society. Beautifully restored coach, and great fun to travel in behind a loco.

Below a photo of the coach on the day.

post-7146-0-41630600-1459125947_thumb.jpg

Once again thank you for sharing your collection of photos with us. It's always interesting seeing what you will regale us with on a daily basis. 

Paul J.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of Barnetby today. I like the one of 56091 on 30th, May, 1991. Very nostalgic seeing a Merry Go Round train hauled by a 56.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent selection of photos of Cleethorpes. Maybe not the most glamorous of places, but the railway has had plenty of things of interest over the years. The sidings at Great Coates at the time of the photo were looking quite weedy and probably reflected the fact that that line was at the end of a branch - a bit like Hull in East Yorkshire seems to be.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Was that your BX in the 56 photo, the last of the air suspension Citrens wasn't it?

Yes it was mine. It was one of the 1.4 litre cars, so not very fast - but it could reach 100mph  (in Germany I should add).  It was replaced by another one fairly son after this photo.

David

• RMweb Gold

I had a BX for a few years a 1.6 fast and ideal for towing a caravan and ease of hitching up to it like the photos whats left there now?

The line to North Blyth is still in use to carry alumina from North Blyth to the smelter at Fort William.

The power station in the background C8127 closed, the final part, the chimneys, were demolished over ten years ago.  

The west staithes closed and were cut down to just above water level.

Cambois depot has been closed.

A new line was laid into the harbour at Battleship Wharf from the line to the Alcan terminal and is still used for coal traffic.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Just been putting a level crossing gate right on my layout, so I apologise for the late reply.  There are some really good photo's from North Blyth tonight.   I like seeing 56133, it is a good going away shot in nice sunny conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Was that your BX in the 56 photo, the last of the air suspension Citrens wasn't it?

Air?????

Hydropneumatic if you don't mind.

Citroen are currently finishing production of cars with proper suspension, due to customer preference for cars with cart springs, or in the case of the vast majority of German cars, no suspension at all, so the BX wasn't the last by any means.

Myself and Horsetan at least appreciate a comfortable ride.

Mike

• Like 1