Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Wonderful photos as always Dave, thanks for posting. Slight correction; The Pass of Brander signals are to warn of fallen boulders (hence their name of stone signals) rather than avalanches. 

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful photos as always Dave, thanks for posting. Slight correction; The Pass of Brander signals are to warn of fallen boulders (hence their name of stone signals) rather than avalanches. 

Thanks for reminding me of that - I think "avalanche signals" has been used in some publicatons (but don't ask me which).

I've just re read the piece in the Scottish Region Sectional Appendix (1969 copy).  It has a clear explanation of how they work and how Drivers must respond  

For those who have a copy it is on page 276.

The system has sometimes been referred to as "Anderson's Piano" after the person who developed it.  John Anderson was Secretary of the Callender and Oban Railway and was Manager of the line after the Caledonian took it over.

David

Edited by DaveF

The headcode on the EE typoe 1's is very interesting, 0B01 is light engine to Kings Cross passenger!

Mike.

The B headcode was used in a number of locations for local freight trip workings, if I remember correctly it was also used for local passenger services around Bradord!

Mark Saunders

The headcode on the EE typoe 1's is very interesting, 0B01 is light engine to Kings Cross passenger!

Just had a snow storm here in Durham. Whats the weather like in Spain Moike? See you at S4N tomorrow?

Apologies for the transgression.

P

• RMweb Gold

Mike.

B was the NER (and later ER) code for moves terminating in the York District. Light engine codes could be based either on the number of the train to be worked, e.g. 0V33 was going to take over 1V33, or the destination. Taking some ex-WR examples 0Z96 was going to the Birmingham District from elsewhere on the WR, 0Z45 was on its way to Tyseley MPD from within the Birmingham District, while 0C35 was going to Tyseley Carriage Sidings to pick up a train. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

Dave F wrote:

I've just re read the piece in the Scottish Region Sectional Appendix (1969 copy).  It has a clear explanation of how they work and how Drivers must respond  

For those who have a copy it is on page 276.

So you've got your time machine out again Dave? We're only on page 251!

Interesting photo of 4498. The brake van next to it has rubber seated windows. Not knowing much about Mk1's I'm presuming that this is a late version?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

i think it was an experiment only applied to a few vehicles

i remember it coming up on the old RMWeb but d'you think i can find the topic?

IIRC it was a good idea in principle but ran into problems (i.e. windows falling out) if the windows/rubber seals had not been made accurately to the proper size. 

Edited by keefer

Interesting photo of 4498. The brake van next to it has rubber seated windows. Not knowing much about Mk1's I'm presuming that this is a late version?

Andy G

Lot 30170 Doncaster 1955/56 so not that late. The window does look unusual though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos whilst visiting Teddy Boston at Cadeby, then the ECML at Barkston.

The photos at Barkston show how much use the ER of BR made of the class 47's, which was quite a lot of use on most services except the Deltic worked services. Just such excellent photo's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Not very clear, but is that an air raid siren on top of the tower in J4528?

It looks like one - there was one near where I lived when I was a teenager which looked just like that.

David

I see you caught a glimpse of the famous Frinton crossing gates,when NR wanted to replace them with lifting barriers the locals staged a campaign to keep them.The argument was that barriers would cheapen the image of the town ,this  where the chip shop is across the tracks out of town because it is common and not good enough to be in the town.Nice shot of a 309 pity no one preserved one as I think they are the best express emu built ,more Essex please.