Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. You have posted a selection of great photos of the ECML between Grantham and Peterborough. I like the one at High Dyke, J029. There is plenty of detail to see in it, and just look at how faint the lights are in those headcode boxes on the class 45.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I was a Retained Firefighter back in 1975, it is a Fire Station Drill Tower back in those days there were no Bleepers / Alerters the siren operated during the day and an alarm bell operated in there houses on a night ( connected via a GPO line ) . The siren was tested once a week on Drill nights

And fire-hoses were hung to dry in the tower.    

Bill

• RMweb Gold

I think Thorney is a slightly North of the A47 possibly up the road from the middle roundabout.

You can still see bits of the m&GN from the A47. That bit was still open to Eye from Murrow until about 1965

This may help

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=14&lat=52.6282&lon=-0.1049&layers=11&right=BingHyb

• RMweb Gold

David,

i think you'll find that the "Peak" on the down Pullman is a Cl.46 rather than a 45 - though, of course in 1963, we didn't use those classifications.

Peter,

Thanks very much for that.  Once again a case of simply copying the notes about the photo without thinking it through.

David

David,

By a process of elimination, I think that the Deltic in C403 is 9013 "The Black Watch".

Given the style of plate, it's not one of the Gateshead Deltics. The plate is too long for it to be any of the racehorses. It must, therefore, be one of the four Haymarket locos with a single line plate. One look at the footstep above the buffer beam confirms that it isn't 9000. It can't be 9004, as the plate is too short. It's not 9016, as at that time it was the one remaining Deltic still with a 'D' prefix. Therefore I humbly suggest that it's most likely to be 9013.

Edited by 35A

Dave,

The pics captioned as 101s are I think 111s.

The giveaway is the reduced height centre window to accommodate the destination blind as well as the (now removed) headcode box.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=class+111+dmu&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDqICdjqDMAhVB7hoKHVI1DAQQ_AUICCgC&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=Z1Dc3bskK5EqOM%3A

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

The pics captioned as 101s are I think 111s.

The giveaway is the reduced height centre window to accommodate the destination blind as well as the (now removed) headcode box.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=class+111+dmu&client=tablet-android-pega&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDqICdjqDMAhVB7hoKHVI1DAQQ_AUICCgC&biw=960&bih=600#imgrc=Z1Dc3bskK5EqOM%3A

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of Doncaster, and DMU's. The two photos with 101's are actually those with Rolls Royce engines and are classified 111.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I am beginning to think I'll never be able to tell the difference between a 101 and a 111 without a book of photos in my hand.  The caption should now be right.

Some Southern electrics are almost as bad.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Donny looks so uncluttered compared to today.

C4314....Driver smoking a fag!

Pity those 124s were not in service for longer as they were a great shape. 

Just spent a few very pleasant hours at Donny today. Not quite such variety these days.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

A lovely set of DMU shots. Makes me regret that my photographic collection contains so few pictures of DMUs in white!

But they were white for so short a time and once dirty they looked awful. That put me off taking photos of them as much as saving film for a "more interesting" train (i.e. with a loco)...

Even the refurbished units  are carrying tail lamps.

I think that carrying tail lamps was still the rule at that time as not all DMU's had had electric ones fitted, so it was easier to keep the rule that all DMU's had to carry a tail lamp until all had been fitted with electric ones.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave, love the atmosphere.

What's the strange point in the last one? Can't really work it out,could be a clipped out catch point but I'm not sure

Just noticed the rodding connection on the left

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent Woodhead photos. The railway and the surroundings seem a little cluttered back then, but it is much worse today. Interesting to see those glimpses of the Dinting Railway Centre. That catch point could be for run away trains, but worked by the signalman, rather than being sprung points

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1