Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Spotted your deliberate mistake of today Dave. C3052 shows the Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 43106.

I can't think of a reason  excuse for that, it's so obvious when I look at the photo.

Many thanks for pointing it out.

David

Guest B Exam

C4252 just ouzes atmosphere from the cold of the snow to the steam coming from the cooling towers of Ratcliffe Power Station.

The cutting in now enclosed in trees on both sides forcing a very head-on shot nowadays, and the A453 bridge in the background has been widened to accomadate the dualing of the road.

C2825 looks like my favourite Peak - 45144 'Royal Signals'.

Edited by B Exam

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Severn Valley Railway photo's. It is good to see how it was in those early days, and good to see 43106 looking so clean and sparkly in the BR black livery.

The photos of Ratcliffe on Soar bring back memories, especially those from 1976. The class 116 unit has exhaust coming from the exhaust pipes, and will most likely be accelerating.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

Spent hours train watching at Ratcliffe while at college in Clifton, 1973-5.

Me and a mate once got asked to move on as the guy whose house it was thought we were a gay couple and he disapproved.

• RMweb Gold

(J0883) What about the sheeted(?) wagon farther back in the train behind the Lowfits or Plates?

Bill

I've just looked at the original scan and I think there are 2 16Ts, the second one has a tarpaulin.  There is a mark which looks like a film blemish or scanning problem so I can't really see the end on the first wagon.  Behind them appears to be a brake van, then more 16Ts and another brake van

• RMweb Premium

Dave I lived in and watched trains at Wellingborough from 1975 until 1979. You had to like 45s there as well!!

Anyway, recent pics: Thornaby; one of my favourite Depots when visiting the NE from Lundin on Inter City Railway Society shed bash trips and a green 37 at Pilmoor. Why do green 37s look more powerful than blue ones................(yes I know it is sad.....but I don't care.)

Thanks for those few pics of the beautiful ships at Blyth I have yet to see them anywhere.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Dave I lived in and watched trains at Wellingborough from 1975 until 1979. You had to like 45s there as well!!

Anyway, recent pics: Thornaby; one of my favourite Depots when visiting the NE from Lundin on Inter City Railway Society shed bash trips and a green 37 at Pilmoor. Why do green 37s look more powerful than blue ones................(yes I know it is sad.....but I don't care.)

Thanks for those few pics of the beautiful ships at Blyth I have yet to see them anywhere.

Phil

Phil (and others who like sailing ships).

I am slowly putting some of my tall ships photos on flickr, my Photostream is at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

There are also a lot of my railway photos, landscapes, seascapes and other things.

If you Google "Tall ships" there is a huge amount of information and large numbers of photos (many taken at sea under sail) on the web.

According to Sail Training International the ships are at "Royal Greenwich" from 13 - 16 April, then in 2018 they are at Sunderland from 11-14 July.

It is really worth travelling to see them if you can at some time.  I am fortunate now to live near the sea, but almost half my life was spent living a long way inland, including the East Midlands, so I know how difficult it can be to get to see sailing ships (or any ships).

I can assure you that living less than half a mile from the beach can have its drawbacks - everything gets covered in salt (even inside the house in bad weather), coastal gales can be dreadful, even small particles of sand often get blown into the house and plants in the  the garden suffer from salt, I lose a number each year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really should stop talking about ships so here are a final few images taken this weekend at Blyth.  Back to trains tomorrow - unless I get any really good photos as the ships leave to sail to Gothenburg tomorrow afternoon.

post-5613-0-22325700-1472422693_thumb.jpg

2 tall ships entering Blyth

post-5613-0-56164000-1472422699_thumb.jpg

Oosterschelde at Blyth

post-5613-0-42459600-1472422704_thumb.jpg

Vega Gambleby arriving at Blyth for the Tall Ships Event

post-5613-0-21114400-1472423214_thumb.jpg

Morgenster approaching Blyth

Edited to add a photo I missed out.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

Spent hours train watching at Ratcliffe while at college in Clifton, 1973-5.

Me and a mate once got asked to move on as the guy whose house it was thought we were a gay couple and he disapproved.

I am worried to ask, but what exactly were you doing?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave.A really excellent set of photo's of Edinburgh Waverley station this evening. In the last one, looking at the shallow solebars, the saloon window positions, and bodyside tumblehome, it is a class 107 not a class 108. The DMSL  will probably be 52024.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I must have seen hundreds if not thousands of views of the west end of Waverley, but never from the angle of C6427. :sungum:   When did the push + pull 27 workings end?    If C6835 was a 'where is it?' quiz, I wouldn't get it!

Thanks,

Bill

Aberdeen?

• RMweb Premium

I must have seen hundreds if not thousands of views of the west end of Waverley, but never from the angle of C6427. :sungum: When did the push + pull 27 workings end? If C6835 was a 'where is it?' quiz, I wouldn't get it!

Thanks,

Bill

C6835 - Ah,the former 'sub' platforms, 21 & 22 I think. Only time I travelled from there was to go on holiday on a summer Saturday Glasgow - Scarborough.

C6427 - The cl.27 P-P services finished in 1979 or 80 I think, there are threads on here about them.

The pic shows the Dundee stopper service, usually a 27 but sometimes a 26 or 47, plus 4 mk1/early mk2 coaches

Edit to include picture refs.

Edited by keefer

C4323 - ah yes, the days when staff used to wander about, crossing the track anywhere and without HVVs. Elfin safety would be apoplectic today.

It's a good job that we don't have wheeltappers still, in 2016!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photos of Doncaster. I am often there, changing trains. You still have some enthusiasts on the station even in this day and age.

I love the two photos with the HST's in the original livery. And it is very interesting to see the junction to the north of the station - sorry it's name eludes me - being re modelled. I remember that all too clearly.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I love the photos of Doncaster. I am often there, changing trains. You still have some enthusiasts on the station even in this day and age.

I love the two photos with the HST's in the original livery. And it is very interesting to see the junction to the north of the station - sorry it's name eludes me - being re modelled. I remember that all too clearly.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Me being one of those every so often. A great place to just sit and watch people and trains. Donny, 70s and early 80s before the Plant shrank; proper job location.

Thanks Dave

Phil

• Like 2