Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

A bit later than usual as I decided to go the Quayside to look at the preparations for the Tall Ships event from Friday to Monday.  No ships yet.  I don't think I'll be driving anywhere this weekend looking at the local restrictions.

Back to the iron ore lines around Harlaxton and Woolsthorpe by Belvoir today.

One working loco on a special, some dead ones and some views of the lines.

attachicon.gifn Woolsthorpe by Belvoir Quarries BSC Sentinel diesel in shed July 73 J3231.jpg

Woolsthorpe by Belvoir Quarries BSC Sentinel diesel in shed July 73 J3231  identity not known

In the 1969 British Industrial Locos by the IRS, there is a Sentinal 0-4-0DH shunter listed at Woolsthorpe. It was RR 10203/1964, "Betty". The name and works number indicates it is one of the ex Oxfordshire Ironstone Co Ltd locos and is borne out by the coupling system on the loco in your photo.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Harlaxton and Woolsthorpe by Belvior. I particularly like the two photos of Austerity 2413. And a very interesting Ransom and Rapier 490 dragline in J3232. Never really seen one quite like it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi David and all

The small holders were for coach letters. I am building a 10 car set at the moment and was wondering how a Walton set would be lettered as I cannot find a clear photo of the last coach in the set. The big question was "I" used or not. A&B were the two car set at the London end, and C,D, E (Buffet) and F were the Buffet/ Clacton (309/2) set. All confirmed by photos. Also confirmed by photos are the Driving Trailer Semi-open Composite and the Non-driving Motor Brake Second as G and H of the Walton (309/3) set. What I cannot find is photos that show if the Trailer Second Open was "I" or "J" and the country end Driving Trailer Semi-open Composite was "J" or "K"?

I have found one photo that shows the country end Driving Trailer Semi-open Composite of a Walton set as coach "A" but for some reason this unit was facing London (the wrong way round), confirmed by the buildings at Shenfield station not being turned round. 

As for a Buffet set working on its own at Marks Tey, this was unusual, from memory there were a few mid day 4 car workings. Most down trains until the late 80s were split at Thorpe-le-Soken, with the same station playing host to the up trains being combined. It was normal for the Buffet set to be the London end with or without a 2 car set in front and the Walton 4 car to be the country end. After the 2 car (309/1) sets were increased to 4 car sets and the Buffet cars withdrawn the combinations altered on what seemed a daily basis.

IIRC from my days on the line going to and fro my Alma Mater at Wivenhoe Park, 'I' wasn't used (possible confusion with '1st class'?) and the other two cars were 'J' and 'K'.

Edited by talisman56

Nice to see a Griddle unit in action - and quite a late use I think for destination boards.

Presumably this unit was in a train that split on the down journey? (I forget the details of the services which did this)

And I thought the Clacton units just went to..... Clacton

• RMweb Premium

IIRC from my days on the line going to and fro my Alma Mater at Wivenhoe Park, 'I' wasn't used (possible confusion with '1st class'?) and the other two cars were 'J' and 'K'.

Hi Talisman

A big thank you. I thought "I" would not be used to prevent confusion with first class.

It was bad enough trying to get Auntie Maude to sit in the right end of the train for Frinton, no matter how many signs there were, how many announcements along the route and how many British Railways staff told her the front four carriages were for Frinton. She was going to travel in the restaurant car and that was going to go to Frinton. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of the Cambrian Coast line today. In C5795 there is a remarkably clean class 101 DMU in the refurbished white with blue waist band livery.

The photos show the lovely coastline that the line runs along.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 is it 1111 10.20 Kings X to Hull down Sept 70 J2383.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 is it 1111? 10.20 Kings X to Hull down Sept 70 J2383

attachicon.gifPeakirk Class 31 and Class 40 271 down cement Nov 70 J2448.jpg

Peakirk Class 31 and Class 40 271 down empty fly ash Nov 70 J2448  Peakirk is north of Peterborough.  I think Dad had been visiting the  WWT centre which used to be there and stopped to take a photo.

I'd say that you are on very safe ground with 1111 on 1L09 in the caption to J2383. From December '69 to May '71 it was a 55A Holbeck loco, before moving on to 55B York. Having expanded and sharpened it as much as I can before losing resolution I would agree with you totally.

Re J2448, the fly-ash trains were almost exclusively Type 4 powered (except in the later years when class 56s took over  - then 58s on the Ratcliffe fly-ash). Class 45s generally headed the Ratcliffe trains and class 47s the West Burton. Additionals from the Midland would sometimes produce a pair of class 20s. Pairs of 31s could occasionally be found on the West Burton but, very rarely, a 40. I would hazard a guess that the 40 was the train engine and had, perhaps, failed and been topped by the 31.

Once class 56s took hold on the Ratcliffes (and later class 58s) it became common over the Christmas and New Year period to double-head, as insurance, given the reduced levels of staffing in the depots.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's that you took today of the tall ships today, I hope you will post some more.

The photos of Teesside are very nostalgic, and just look at the begrimed class 156 in the first photo'!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

A little later than usual again today, as I've been down to the Quayside and harbour at Blyth to have a look at the Tall Ships which are here for four days this weekend before racing to Gothenburg.

I'll start with three photos of tall ships I took today, which have a railway connection.  In all there are up to thirty tall ships in the harbour

Then there are some photos taken on Teesside.

attachicon.gifBSC_1266a Dar Mlodziezy.jpg

BSC_1266a Dar Mlodziezy  A Polish ship, 108m long, built in 1982.

She is moored at the Dun Cow Quay (on some maps Low Quay) which is the site of the old South Staithes used for coal export.  The north end of the staithes had rail connections to the line to Blyth station and at the south end to the line to Crofton Mill Pit and Newsham.  Behind the ship are the alumina silos (see below).

attachicon.gifBSC_1276 Fryderyk Chopin.jpg

BSC_1276 Fryderyk Chopin  She is coming in to moor at the Quayside, again the site of the staithes.  The embankmentto the left is the SUF (ex Alcan) unloading facility used for alumina traffic, originally to Alcan Lynemouth, still used for traffic to Fort William.  The sea is on the other side of the embankement.

attachicon.gifBSC_1283 Blyth Fryderyk Chopin and Dar Mlodziezy.jpg

BSC_1283 Blyth Fryderyk Chopin and Dar Mlodziezy.  In the "olden days" this view would have been obscured by the staithes.

Now for Teesside in the 1980s and 90s.

attachicon.gifb Thornaby 156469 to Middlesbrough 14th April 93_C18443.jpg

Thornaby 156469 to Middlesbrough 14th April 93_C18443

attachicon.gifd Newport 60049 empties to Redmire 5th Dec 92_C18145.jpg

Newport 60049 empties to Redmire 5th Dec 92_C18145

attachicon.gife Middlesborough Class 101 53200 Saltburn to Bishop Auckland 2nd Aug 86_C7821.jpg

Middlesbrough Class 101 53200 Saltburn to Bishop Auckland 2nd Aug 86_C7821

attachicon.giffa Whitehouse view west 31st July 86_C7752.jpg

Whitehouse view west 31st July 86_C7752

attachicon.gifg South Bank 143009 Bishop Auckland to Saltburn 31st July 86_C7763.jpg

South Bank 143009 Bishop Auckland to Saltburn 31st July 86_C7763

David

What are all those old blue things in the background to _C18443

• RMweb Gold

Hard to believe the class 45 in the picture is fully restored to working order and it's quite possible that some of the 37s outside the shed are still working for DRS

Shame about the fate of the depot though

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting to read about the size of the staithes. They were big, and really quite tall. The ships are most imposing.

Good to see more excellent photos of Pilmoor. Quite a procession of 37's. And lovely to see Sir Nigel Gresley in action. The train has one of the long lasting Gresley buffet cars too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

I thought Pilmoor was north of York, not Newcastle?

In that photo of 7C12, is that red wagon at the rear of the Plates and the Tube a Calcium Carbide wagon?

As Captain Mainwaring might say - I wondered when you'd notice that.

It was a slip of the pen, or rather keyboard.

I think the wagon is a Prestwin, remember the images have been "restored" having faded badly - and Agfa slide film of the period was not renowned for colour accuracy.  The wagon looks very clean so it may be freshly painted.

David

Edited by DaveF

Views of the staiths are in this Album including demolition in the 1960's  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626464658979/with/5660639152/

I elected to stay at home dog sitting in Haltwhistle today whilst Annie , Paul, Issie and the grandchildren braved the crowds  at Blyth.

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1