Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. More excellent photo's of the LT&SR today. The class 302 units were clearly true workhorses as were the first generation DMU's. Interesting to see the HST - I think it has featured earlier in this thread.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of Petts Wood. In C5030, I see the guards door is open on the DMBS of unit 1007. I just hope that no one ended up on track as a result.

Now, congratulations on reaching page 300. Again another milestone has been reached in this extraordinary thread. Please keep all the photos coming.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of Petts Wood. In C5030, I see the guards door is open on the DMBS of unit 1007. I just hope that no one ended up on track as a result.

Now, congratulations on reaching page 300. Again another milestone has been reached in this extraordinary thread. Please keep all the photos coming.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I've quite often seen trains with a guard's door open, though I don't have many photos of them.

In Switzerland, when I used to have holidays there in the 80s and 90s, you could often see the guard leaning on the handrail across an open door on parcels vans when the train was going along.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few up to date photos, taken yesterday morning at Damdykes.

As usual just ordinary trains going about their everyday business - but if you don't take photos of them then in a few years time it is hard to remember the details of liveries etc.  At a future date someone will want to know what the unbranded Northern livery was, and for how long it existed.

Some more old ones to come a little later.

post-5613-0-66146900-1471439274_thumb.jpg

BSC_1172 Damdykes 82216 Edinburgh to Kings X 1E07 1007 16th Aug 16

post-5613-0-83580100-1471439281_thumb.jpg

BSC_1173 Damdykes 156475 Morpeth to Metro Centre 2N15 1008 16th Aug 16

post-5613-0-43123100-1471439288_thumb.jpg

BSC_1176 Damdykes 82210 Edinburgh to Kings X 1E08 1016 16th Aug 16

post-5613-0-86626300-1471439294_thumb.jpg

SC_1178 Damdykes Class 220 Glasgow C to Plymouth 1V56 1027 16th Aug 16

post-5613-0-19545800-1471439300_thumb.jpg

BSC_1180 Damdykes Class 142 Metro Centre to Morpeth 2A06 1028 16th Aug 16

Edited to correct the first sentence.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Stunning photos from Damdykes and I wonder how long it will be before that awful advertising livery of Northern gets applied to all of their trains. Good to see that those units photographed yesterday have not been defaced by it.

The second set of photos are a true historical record from what will soon be 50 years ago.

I must ask about the sidings visible in J1698 at Castle Donnington. I wonder if they were something to do with the nearby power station. And what a delightful signal that can be seen in the last photo. There clearly must have been sidings to the rear of where your Dad was stood when he took that photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Stunning photos from Damdykes and I wonder how long it will be before that awful advertising livery of Northern gets applied to all of their trains. Good to see that those units photographed yesterday have not been defaced by it.

The second set of photos are a true historical record from what will soon be 50 years ago.

I must ask about the sidings visible in J1698 at Castle Donnington. I wonder if they were something to do with the nearby power station. And what a delightful signal that can be seen in the last photo. There clearly must have been sidings to the rear of where your Dad was stood when he took that photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think the sidings were for the power station.

David

Re-Castle Donington (note only three "n's in the spelling, not four).

Yes, the x2 EE Type 1s are passing the entrance/exit to CD Power Station on the left.

You got the semaphore signalling just in time David, before Trent PSB was opened - note the new point motors already in situ.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the x2 EE Type 1s are passing the entrance/exit to CD Power Station on the left.

You got the semaphore signalling just in time David, before Trent PSB was opened - note the new point motors already in situ.

It's my keyboard again - or at least that's my excuse.

It's actually one of Dad's photos, I remember he commented on the forthcoming signalling changes - every time we looked at his photos!  I was in Manchester when he took it.

David

• RMweb Premium

Pic 1654 Bingham. That's a footpath now isn't it David? I think that lovely bridge in the far distance still crosses the cutting?

Pic 1653; for those that are in the know one can still see the 'space' left from that bridge as you drive that road.

Finally, that Glasgow Plymouth service; which route does it take please. Is it through Donny?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Pic 1654 Bingham. That's a footpath now isn't it David? I think that lovely bridge in the far distance still crosses the cutting?

Pic 1653; for those that are in the know one can still see the 'space' left from that bridge as you drive that road.

Finally, that Glasgow Plymouth service; which route does it take please. Is it through Donny?

Phil

I believe it is now a footpath at Bingham, but I've not been back to the actual location for over thirty years.

The XC train is York, Leeds, Wakefield, Sheffield, Derby etc.

Yesterday (the day I took the photos), after I had taken the local details from Real Time Trains it was cancelled beyond Newton Abbot because of "late arrival of an inbound service".  Today it ran correctly through to Plymouth.  It was an hour late arriving at Newton Abbott yesterday.

David

• RMweb Gold

Try as I might I can only find 2 "n's" Pete.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of questions about the shot of Market Bosworth  J1695 if you don't mind Dave.

Is it an artifact of the perspective, or wouldn't a train coming to a stand at the signal foul the goods yard exit?

And, is that a facing crossover in the foreground, and if so, how common would that be? It's not what I would think of as standard Midland practice, as far as i know.

Thanks,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr

• RMweb Gold

A couple of questions about the shot of Market Bosworth  J1695 if you don't mind Dave.

Is it an artifact of the perspective, or wouldn't a train coming to a stand at the signal foul the goods yard exit?

And, is that a facing crossover in the foreground, and if so, how common would that be? It's not what I would think of as standard Midland practice, as far as i know.

Thanks,

Al.

The signal is protecting the facing connection, the reason it's there as opposed to further back is it simplifies the locking - if it were futher back then both it and the signal controlling exit from the yard would need to be locked in the lever frame, as it stands, that is done once and the yard exit is a simple signal, and the main also has a simple signal visible in the distance.

The line is LNWR but facing connections were unusual, not necessarily rare, but they would be provided if traffic requirements dictated.

Re Market Bosworth, regular passenger trains had ceased in 1931, which would explain the state of the station ! The facing crossover looks as if it could actually be a double to single line connection, perhaps installed after the station had closed and the line had been rationalised ? The removal of the platform coping stones alongside the facing point (only) might support this. I would be surprised if the signal was in that location when the station was open.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,

Al.

I have to admit I haven't got a clue, I never visited Market Bosworth, it's one of Dad's photos. I have no idea of what was behind him as he only took one photo while he was there.

So thanks very much to beast66606 and caradoc for their comments.

Edit

I've just had a look at the Midland railway Line Diagrams in John Gough's  "The Midland Railway - A Chronology"  RCHS 1989 ISBN 0-901461-12-1

It didn't have a facing crossover in December 1919, just the trailing connection into the goods yard which is the Up side as in the photo.  The goods yard had the usual Midland style loop through the goods shed with the short spur to the cattle dock and a track between the shed and main line..  There were three further sidings behind the goods shed.  

On the Down side there were two sidings which were on the flat area of land in front of the signal box in the photo.

Market Bosworth station opened in 1873 (goods 18th August, passengers 1st September).

The original signal box was replaced by a new one in January 1899.

The station closed to passengers 13th April 1931, parcels 2nd July 1951.

The line was singled between Market Bosworth and Shackerstone Junction on 29th November 1964.  This would explain what looks like a facing crossover which in fact was the start of the single line, also the placing of the signal.

The line was taken out of use 12th November 1971.

Reopened in preservation 26th March 1978.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Re Market Bosworth, regular passenger trains had ceased in 1931, which would explain the state of the station ! The facing crossover looks as if it could actually be a double to single line connection, perhaps installed after the station had closed and the line had been rationalised ? The removal of the platform coping stones alongside the facing point (only) might support this. I would be surprised if the signal was in that location when the station was open.

Same principle for the signal - except also insert token working releases.

Guest B Exam

Phil

Knowing Bingham like the back of my hand having lived there! Yes, the 3 arch bridge in the background is still in use as Tithby Road crosses the cutting.

Nice to see the bridge over the old A52. The houses that can be seen through the bridge are still standing, but the right hand embankment has long gone under the housing estate. The nearside embankment, as you say is a footpath/nature trail.