Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I've only just had time to read this (and later) posts, so I think your question has already been answered.

So to start with many thanks for all those who have contributed to this bit about the GC.

For some years the MoD traffic and traffic to Hotchley Hill (British Gypsum) at Rushcliffe Halt  and goods to East Leake did indeed travel via Weekday Cross, with a reversal there which entailed entering the tunnel at the south end of Notingham Victoria.  Sadly I rarely saw these rains as the family lived in Harrogate from 1965 to 1968, and although Mum and Dad moved back to not too far from Nottingham in late 1968 I moved to Manchester where I was at University and only visited the Nottingham area for some weekends and parts of University vacations.

As far as I know I was there when Dad took this photo, so it would have been in early January 1969 when I had been given a lift to the station (with a load of luggage) to travel back to Manchester after being with my parents over Christmas and the New Year.

The photos below have all appeared either on this thread or my thread of monochrome photos before, but I am repeating them as they give an idea of the trains at the time.

One of the photos was taken in 1973 which shows how long the connection was in use via London Road High Level and Weekday Cross Junction.

According to Cobb's Railway Atlas the connection from the Midland line to the Great Central at Loughborough opened in 1974, the line north of British Gypsum Hotchley Hill was then closed as by then traffic to the MoD site at Ruddington had ceased.

David

Great shots - memories pouring back. Why can't I press ratings for Thanks, Informative and Like at the same time!  :yes:

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

Going back a bit, that Renault 5 has a clamp for one reason, its a quite expensive, top of the range turbo version, and that was the middle of the 'hot hatch' era, and these would regularly disappear.....

Andy G

I actually remember that R5 I think it belonged to one of the shunters

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent selection of Southern photos today. In those two from Sevenoaks Weald, the leaves on the bushes and trees look as if they will soon be falling and possibly causing difficulty for the trains.

The last photo at Chatham, is a good view down on the railway from up above the tunnel portal, and the unit looks as if it has a 2HAP as the rear two coaches.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C4876 is a 411 CEP formation, although can't quite make out roof detail to tell if one unit is maybe a 410 BEP - afraid I don't know what routes used them. Definitely not a 423 VEP though.

Nice to see the 73 with interesting parcels stock and an MLV still in use on presumably what was a 'boat' train

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Talking about Weekday Cross, you may recall post #337 on this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91758-chris-ts-photo-archives-updated-6th-march/page-14

Chris Turnbull

Chris,

Many thanks for reminding me, it's a really good photo of Weekday Cross - the others are good too.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, which is a true mainline railway in miniature. I have always been fascinated by the line, and the way it is operated.

Then there follows a lovely selection of Scottish photos. In C15752 at Menstrie, I see there is a permanent speed restriction of 10 mph. I assume that it will be to do with the narrow bridge over the line.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

These are both 2 Haps (Class 414). The leading unit is from the 6147-73 batch and the trailing one from the 6043-6105 batch.

Robert,

Many thanks.   Once again I just assumed my notes were correct and didn't actually look closely at the image!  I blame the lack of time since I retired.

David

attachicon.gifChatham Class 416 down May 80 C5034.jpg

Chatham Class 414 down May 80 C5034

More specifically it was taken from the Great Lines looking down on Luton arches. I had a Aunt who was lucky enough to live in one of the houses in this road and had pretty much this view from her back door .................. :ok:

Some years ago in (1998 ?) I won a Virgin sponsored competition of D9000 on the 1O99 Birmingham - Ramsgate taken from about this spot - think it got published in "Traction" :dancer:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire today. Sad to see the remnants the line at Eggington in J1721. But it is great seeing the class 120's at work, especially in view of the O gauge model announcement.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Dave - more smashing photos as always!

Afraid its the old peak conundrum again though. J1742 .....would that be 116 perhaps? I don't think D16 ever had that pattern of front end - went straight from split box to single centre box

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5558996550/in/photolist-9tej17-dL3pit-dRw79D-dN5mmS-qc5wq5-baPiqR-fzy6u9-9wx2rb-5E7mVL-HAH8KQ-5E34Ve-5E7naG-5E36Hn-5E35WT-G5ECGo-c9daXS-czRsRY-dTg1At-qmhCin-9Zce6p-9LHSHB-ftRUcy-iKHLFo-dddbSe-aDHtMG-5E7oLL-5E37QF-5E36tZ-5E7mmo-5E36WZ-5E379P-5E7nFd-5E7mFG-5E7pwd-5E7pHY-5E7p57-HPFL3Y-Hufvxd-DHpw1u-sxds6L-fqYc5e-frdrxh-ifraSG-5DAAdm-as9geT, thanks to John Woolley for that one

You'll be banning Mr EW and yours truly soon.....

Kind regards

Phil

Edited to remove incorrect reference to nose doors - sorry Dave, otherwise I think correct

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

Afraid its the old peak conundrum again though. J1742 .....would that be 116 perhaps? I don't think D16 ever had that pattern of front end - went straight from split box with centre doors to single centre box

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/5558996550/in/photolist-9tej17-dL3pit-dRw79D-dN5mmS-qc5wq5-baPiqR-fzy6u9-9wx2rb-5E7mVL-HAH8KQ-5E34Ve-5E7naG-5E36Hn-5E35WT-G5ECGo-c9daXS-czRsRY-dTg1At-qmhCin-9Zce6p-9LHSHB-ftRUcy-iKHLFo-dddbSe-aDHtMG-5E7oLL-5E37QF-5E36tZ-5E7mmo-5E36WZ-5E379P-5E7nFd-5E7mFG-5E7pwd-5E7pHY-5E7p57-HPFL3Y-Hufvxd-DHpw1u-sxds6L-fqYc5e-frdrxh-ifraSG-5DAAdm-as9geT, thanks to John Woolley for that one

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Was D16 part of the refurbishment program, if she was she never received the triangular grill? Or was she involved in a crash, otherwise why was she fitted with new nose ends?

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I hate to mention this after the hoo haa we had with Donninngtonn, but I think it's Egginton, only 2 G's.

Mike.

Mike

I did check the spelling, honest!   In my Philip's Navigator Road Atlas it is spelt as Eggington, Derbyshire in the place name index - having now actually looked up the map page it is clearly Egginton.

So many thanks.

Afraid its the old peak conundrum again though. J1742 .....would that be 116 perhaps? I don't think D16 ever had that pattern of front end - went straight from split box with centre doors to single centre box

Kind regards

Phil

Phil,

It could well be 116, as I say I was going on Dad's notes and I can't read it clearly on the original scan either, so it wouldn't have been clear on the slide.

Once again thanks to both of you for enabling corrections so the captions are more accurate.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Mike

I did check the spelling, honest!   In my Philip's Navigator Road Atlas it is spelt as Eggington, Derbyshire in the place name index - having now actually looked up the map page it is clearly Egginton.

So many thanks.

The definitive local decrees it is Egginton...famous for its still quaint crossing gates and where a certain Royal Train was once secretly parked before a certain Royal Wedding some 30+ years ago.Sorry.....censored.

Phil,

It could well be 116, as I say I was going on Dad's notes and I can't read it clearly on the original scan either, so it wouldn't have been clear on the slide.

Once again thanks to both of you for enabling corrections so the captions are more accurate.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

Was D16 part of the refurbishment program, if she was she never received the triangular grill? Or was she involved in a crash, otherwise why was she fitted with new nose ends?

Hi Clive

http://www.derbysulzers.com/45headcode.html says D16 was in the Derby programme. Was the triangular grille plated over?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hang on ....Did D16 have nose doors ?

Nope so corrected my post above - just had split boxes without doors, but still went from that to centre box so still favour 116

Sorry for confusion!

Phil