Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both for your info.

If D46 still had a D in 1970, then it isn't the loco in Dave's photo as it has no D. Which leaves 66 which worked this train on 14 June 1969, or possibly 36 which did get dual brakes some time after 1969 but by 1971, and we know sometimes official data from each region was slowly and/or irregularly made available. The other class 45 to work the train in June '69 was D69 but this one was not dual braked until after Feb '73. I think I still go with 66 as favourite though.

As there are so few good photos from this era, I hope no-one minds these occasional diversions to tie the details down. 

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both for your info.

If D46 still had a D in 1970, then it isn't the loco in Dave's photo as it has no D. Which leaves 66 which worked this train on 14 June 1969, or possibly 36 which did get dual brakes some time after 1969 but by 1971, and we know sometimes official data from each region was slowly and/or irregularly made available. I think I still go with 66 as favourite though.

As there are so few good photos from this era, I hope no-one minds these occasional diversions to tie the details down. 

I have been fascinated by this discussion about the Class 45 and am seriously impressed both by the knowledge RMWeb members possess and their willingness to do research to identify locos.

I can promise you lots more locos for which I don't have numbers, assuming everyone is happy for me to continue to post the  photos.

Thank you very much to all who have contributed to the discussion.

David

Edited by DaveF

Going back to the Swayfield photos:

1N93 was the 12:20 KX-Hull

1S17 was the 10:00 KX-Edinburgh - probably the Sunday train as it is not the normal Flying Scotsman set

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh - probably the Saturday train as the set doesn't match the Weekday or Sunday train

What looks like 1D78 I think is actually meant to be 1D18 18:35 Mon-Sat KX-Cleethorpes (or 18:15 SuO), which the front of the set matches

1A33 was the 17:29 Bradford-KX

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh - probably the Saturday train as the set doesn't match the Weekday or Sunday train

Which would suggest that J2524 was probably taken on Saturday 13th March 1971, when 9000 was confirmed as working 1S35.

• RMweb Premium

I have been fascinated by this discussion about the Class 45 and am seriously impressed both by the knowledge RMWeb members possess and their willingness to do research to identify locos.

I can promise you lots more locos for which I don't have numbers, assuming everyone is happy for me to continue to post the  photos.

Thank you very much to all who have contributed to the discussion.

David

You are not alone David, I find these discussions really add depth to the photos you are supplying. This is THE most interesting thread on the site!

Looking forward to it long continuing.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the Swayfield photos:

1N93 was the 12:20 KX-Hull

1S17 was the 10:00 KX-Edinburgh - probably the Sunday train as it is not the normal Flying Scotsman set

What looks like 1D78 I think is actually meant to be 1D18 18:35 Mon-Sat KX-Cleethorpes (or 18:15 SuO), which the front of the set matches

1A33 was the 17:29 Bradford-KX

Thanks again Mark.

The times fit the lighting in the photos. 

The 1S17 could be a Sunday, we didn't often go to Swayfield on a Sunday, but when we did there were often other people about taking photos, on Saturdays it was very rare to see another photographer.

David

According to my notes, retrieved after great effort from the garage in 28 degree heat!

Pah! 28°. You must be back in Blighty then? 30° in my sun trap bio diversity area(South West facing weed emporium & snail sanctuary) yesterday.

29.3°C measured by the MET office at Gravesend. Luverly but 86% humidity...

Got that train set out there yet?

P

Yes agreed. My 1970 combine is correct up to December 1969 with the exact date depending on region. It's a long while since I bought one, but I believe they came out in Springtime, or was it later?

I believe at one point in the 1960s, there were two combines published per year. I have a Summer 1962 and a Winter 62/63 edition, but I presume things were happening so quickly on the loco front that whole classes would have vanished in 12 months.

The seemingly "never-ending" increase in the numbers for Brush Type 4s was also an eye opener for us spotters in that era. We knew they couldn't go beyond D1999 but didn't expect them to get that far. So, when they did and then started back at D1100 we were left open-mouthed...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pah! 28°. You must be back in Blighty then? 30° in my sun trap bio diversity area(South West facing weed emporium & snail sanctuary) yesterday.

29.3°C measured by the MET office at Gravesend. Luverly but 86% humidity...

Got that train set out there yet?

P

No sun trap, that's 9.30 at night.

The train set, after a series of calamities, should be loaded and on it's way this very day, Wibble of this parish will hopefully confirm or deny.

Mike.

No sun trap, that's 9.30 at night.

Bit chilly then. Gloves and ganzie weather for me.

The train set, after a series of calamities, should be loaded and on it's way this very day, Wibble of this parish will hopefully confirm or deny.

Not long to see some trains running then.

P

Hello Dave,

Going back a few days to J1266 showing the viaduct this line ran from Clapham Junction [no, not the big one] to the WCML at Lowgill. From Clapham to Ingleton it was Midland, beyond that LNWR. The Midland station in Ingleton was east of the impressive stone viaduct [still extant] and the LNWR had a station on the west side. I believe passengers had to walk across the viaduct although I'm not sure about that. The viaduct in J1266 is close to the WCML junction. However, this is usually referred to as the Lowgill line not the Little North Western from which the line branches at Clapham which is indeed on the LNW, that line ran from Settle Junction through to Wennington and on to Lancaster and Morecambe, used extensively for Morecambe to Bradford and Leeds. Sadly the Wennington to Lancaster line was closed in 1966 so Lancaster and Morecambe services ran via Carnforth after that.

I can promise you lots more locos for which I don't have numbers, assuming everyone is happy for me to continue to post the photos.

David

I suspect you'd have a cyber riot on your hands if you stopped posting 'em :) Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Such excellent photos of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire today. The first two are so photogenic, such true reminders of a long gone age. Good to see you in the first photo.

56011 in C5009 is in a suitably dusty state.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Re J1744. Renishaw Central.

The old down line is still in place to allow access from Beighton Junction to Staveley GC for the pits there, the name of which escapes me. Sometime later, early 80's I think, the new spur was put in from the MR rendering the old GC redundant. The old up line was cut short and used as a siding for storing scrap mineral wagons, I remember them being one solid line from well past Renishaw, I didn't follow them to the end of the line!

If you don't mind a hijack, I have some distant pictures of loco's on the GC line.

Mike.

• Like 1

The fencing men have just finished replacing some fence posts on one fence and a panel on another bit of fence before the gales arrive.  This time the posts are 4" square so they should last for some time - my garden is quite exposed to some wind directions.

Now they've gone I can post some photos.from Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.  As usual they are just ordinary views, with and without trains.

I hope everyone remembers from a few weeks ago that the Chesterfield Canal was a "railway canal" being owned by the MSLR (later Great Central Railway).

attachicon.gifMisterton MSLR Chesterfield Canal Sept 62 J1475.jpg

Misterton MSLR Chesterfield Canal Sept 62 J1475  I'm on the left of the photo.

attachicon.gifMisterton GN and GE Joint bridge over MSLR Chetsrefield Canal Sept 62 J1476.jpg

Misterton GN and GE Joint bridge over MSLR Chetsrefield Canal Sept 62 J1476

attachicon.gifMisterton GN and GE Joint bridge over A161 April 69 J1611.jpg

Misterton GN and GE Joint bridge over A161 April 69 J1611

attachicon.gifOllerton 56011 westbound coal April 80 C5009.jpg

Ollerton 56011 westbound coal April 80 C5009

attachicon.gifRenishaw Central GCR June 69 J1744.jpg

Renishaw Central GCR June 69 J1744

David

Love that third photo David. So much nostalgia with the semaphores and the red telephone box.

I'm really enjoying your daily photos, fantastic! Keep them coming!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Re J1744. Renishaw Central.

The old down line is still in place to allow access from Beighton Junction to Staveley GC for the pits there, the name of which escapes me. Sometime later, early 80's I think, the new spur was put in from the MR rendering the old GC redundant. The old up line was cut short and used as a siding for storing scrap mineral wagons, I remember them being one solid line from well past Renishaw, I didn't follow them to the end of the line!

If you don't mind a hijack, I have some distant pictures of loco's on the GC line.

Mike.

That would be fine - I have very few in the area.

David

Hello Dave,

Going back a few days to J1266 showing the viaduct this line ran from Clapham Junction [no, not the big one] to the WCML at Lowgill. From Clapham to Ingleton it was Midland, beyond that LNWR. The Midland station in Ingleton was east of the impressive stone viaduct [still extant] and the LNWR had a station on the west side. I believe passengers had to walk across the viaduct although I'm not sure about that. The viaduct in J1266 is close to the WCML junction. However, this is usually referred to as the Lowgill line not the Little North Western from which the line branches at Clapham which is indeed on the LNW, that line ran from Settle Junction through to Wennington and on to Lancaster and Morecambe, used extensively for Morecambe to Bradford and Leeds. Sadly the Wennington to Lancaster line was closed in 1966 so Lancaster and Morecambe services ran via Carnforth after that.

The viaduct shown in J1266 is the one near Sedbergh, also known as Waterside Viaduct or just Lune Viaduct. The one near the WCML at Low Gill is an all stone structure as can be seen in the photo in the link below.

https://flic.kr/p/pYAK6V

Paul J.

I think this is actually a trolley for lifting/transporting a rail.  On one side are the rail tongues for gripping the rail.  The wheels run on the existing rail.  Two of these (or more?) with men pushing down on the opposite handle can then pick up and move a length of rail.

J1773 has an interesting little gem hiding in the bottom right of the frame, a gangers rail-cycle! I find it hard to believe that one would still be inuse coming into the '70's!

Cracking shots of the everyday yet again.

Andy G