Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Little Bytham photos. J2957 of 1973, a class 47, is a classic from track level that your Father took that day. And in J2654, Deltic 9018 makes a great sight at the head of a Newcastle train in May, 1971.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1L20 was the 14:20 KX-York. The formation indicates it was the Saturday train and as the CWN ended on the 2nd May and the formation changed. Logically it must have been 1st May 1971.

1L13 was the 11:30 KX-Harrogate. Again formation indicates the Saturday train (and presumably a later date than 1L20).

1S32 was the 12:00 KX-Aberdeen 

J2652:  the positioning of the data panel and shed sticker on the cabside is very non-standard (in blue livery they were normally under the running number) - in fact I don't even recall seeing one with them in this position, although I must have done, as I used to see the 'Generators' on an almost daily basis throughout the Seventies.

It's also interesting that this loco is subject to some RTC experiments, with at least two white, engraved detail plates affixed to the bottom of the cab door. I've done some ferreting and identified this photo of 1513 slightly later in 1971, with the data panel and shed sticker on the cabside and a similar pattern of experiment plates. Unfortunately I can't find any photo of 1515 at that time (with them being so common I didn't tend to photograph them often myself, annoyingly!) to cross-reference. I used to record details of the experiments being carried out on locos and had a few pages of notes with them all listed - inevitably I have no idea where they are at the moment but I'll keep looking! Whilst not fully discounting 1515, it could possibly be 1513.

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0662050000200

Edited by 35A

J2808 is very interesting, I had often wondered how far into the 70s did maroon coaching stock last, so the two vehicles in that rake are quite a surprise. Cant say I have seen any other maroon coaches in the pics that late.

• RMweb Gold

Those train in the landscape photos are such a treat...     1940 (photo J2808) was a D02 (Birmingham Division) loco, probably not so common on the southern part of the ECML, and an interesting short train...  

Bill

Going on the headcode and stock, this is a special, Derby was probably the only place at this date to have a number of maroon coaches, so could it have been an RTC test train?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Barnetby photos. It's good to see the semaphore signals, what a fine sight they made. In C25013, 56094 makes a splendid sight at the head of an up coal train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Going on the headcode and stock, this is a special, Derby was probably the only place at this date to have a number of maroon coaches, so could it have been an RTC test train?

Mike.

G was the headcode for a special train local to the ER

J2652:  the positioning of the data panel and shed sticker on the cabside is very non-standard (in blue livery they were normally under the running number) - in fact I don't even recall seeing one with them in this position, although I must have done, as I used to see the 'Generators' on an almost daily basis throughout the Seventies.

It's also interesting that this loco is subject to some RTC experiments, with at least two white, engraved detail plates affixed to the bottom of the cab door. I've done some ferreting and identified this photo of 1513 slightly later in 1971, with the data panel and shed sticker on the cabside and a similar pattern of experiment plates. Unfortunately I can't find any photo of 1515 at that time (with them being so common I didn't tend to photograph them often myself, annoyingly!) to cross-reference. I used to record details of the experiments being carried out on locos and had a few pages of notes with them all listed - inevitably I have no idea where they are at the moment but I'll keep looking! Whilst not fully discounting 1515, it could possibly be 1513.

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0662050000200

The white mod/experiment plates don't always have anything to do with the RTC, most of these mods were CMEE or Regional mods.

Al Taylor

Newcastle photos taken over a period of about 12 years today.

attachicon.gifNewcastle King Edward Brdige May 74 J3711.jpg

Newcastle King Edward Bridge May 74 J3711  The old Redheugh bridge is in the distance.

attachicon.gifNewcastle right Class 101 to coast left Class 101 from South Shields May 74 J3714.jpg

Newcastle right Class 101 to coast left Class 101 from South Shields May 74 J3714

attachicon.gifNewcastle Class 101 Middlesbrough to Newcastle on High Level Bridge Aug 82 C5815.jpg

Newcastle Class 101 Middlesbrough to Newcastle on High Level Bridge Aug 82 C5815

attachicon.gifNewcastle Class 101 Newcastle to Hexham 31 Dec 84 C6673.jpg

Newcastle Class 101 Newcastle to Hexham 31 Dec 84 C6673

attachicon.gifNewcastle 143023 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd Aug 86 C7809.jpg

Newcastle 143023 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd Aug 86 C7809

David

Nice set of photos as usual David. Thank you for sharing them. Just one point. In photo J3714 , the right hand Cl 101 is arriving from the coast rather than going, as it has a tail lamp on the back. Although that does not always mean a lot if they forgot to swap it around, it is driverless as well if heading out of Newcastle.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Nice set of photos as usual David. Thank you for sharing them. Just one point. In photo J3714 , the right hand Cl 101 is arriving from the coast rather than going, as it has a tail lamp on the back. Although that does not always mean a lot if they forgot to swap it around, it is driverless as well if heading out of Newcastle.

Paul J.

Thanks for letting me know - I have no idea why I got it wrong, Dad's notes had it going in the correct direction.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a great set of photos of Newcastle today. J3714 is superb, showing, as always from that vantage point, the track layout in full. A good number of 101's to see too. All changed now of course - the track layout is greatly simplified, the ECML is electrified, and there are no more 101's in use.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Paul J.

You wouldn't get past the first railwayman that saw you and reported it to the panel if you forgot, so you didn't forget.  More common was drivers forgetting to turn loco tail lights off when changing ends or when coupling to trains.

• RMweb Gold

And yet, like I've mentioned before, in my signature there is a link to a photo of a Cravens DMU at Market Weighton, on the last day of trains between Hull and York in November, 1965. The tail lamp can be clearly seen on the cab front, it had run through from York. Whether the next signalman in East box would pull the train up I don't know.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

the amazing thing about Newcastle is that even that layout is a simplification of earlier years.

there were lines more  lines crossing from the right with all the famous diamond crossings (and 3rd rail as well!)

found this completely by chance (doesn't change much till the '90s) - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/watch-fascinating-journey-through-time-11152547

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Craigendoran photos. J3333 of 303043 shows how well designed the class 303 cab end was - a shame they later on had to be modified. And, at that station, it's interesting that there are two lines at different levels. I don't think there are many stations like that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.