Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I don't know what happened, but I posted a comment the lovely Harrogate photo's, but on looking just now, I can't see it! Oh well such are computers! I'll try again, and hope that all is well.

The photo's are redolent of an age that is now long gone, the sixties, and services that, in some cases, are gone thanks to Dr. Beeching.  J448 is a lovely view of smoke and steam from B1 61216. And the last photo' shows a typical, for the era, track laying train. Not one orange jacket in sight!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Can anybody enlighten me? In j3333 you have the high level line to Oban behind the 303, but where does the platform on the left goto? Also, was there any platforms on the Oban line?

I too wondered about that, but you got the question in first!

I have had a look at Wikipedia and it appears to have the full story.

Can anybody enlighten me? In j3333 you have the high level line to Oban behind the 303, but where does the platform on the left goto? Also, was there any platforms on the Oban line?

There was an island platform with buildings on the West Highland line, this closed in 1964. The platform to the left was Craigendoran Pier.

The high level line is the West Highland line (leading onto the Oban line at Crianlarich Upper), and there was indeed an island platform up there. The line on the left of the photo with the 303 leads onto the old pier station, which was electrified. It is now a ruin. The main line station only has one platform and the West Highland is also without a platform since 1964.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What great set of GE photos. In J4303, the unit is one those mixed formations, with a class 105 DMBS, and a class 101, DTCL, and it's another unit with the tail lamp on the cab front. Most interesting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

More to the point, what a 101 DMU doing on an Oban train? Weren't all the Oban and Fort William trains booked for Class 27s +Mk1s in the 70s?

There was a summer dated DMU from GQS to Oban which then shuttles between Oban and Crianlarich to connect with GQS - Fort William trains. Not sure when it finished but I seem to recall it was still running in the days of the 37s.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. What great set of GE photos. In J4303, the unit is one those mixed formations, with a class 105 DMBS, and a class 101, DTCL, and it's another unit with the tail lamp on the cab front. Most interesting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

I think that is a departing unit, the blind states Harwich not Manningtree, it seems to be leaving the bay platform and still has to crossover to the Down Harwich line and it don't seem to have driver.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

I think that is a departing unit, the blind states Harwich not Manningtree, it seems to be leaving the bay platform and still has to crossover to the Down Harwich line and it don't seem to have driver.

Thanks for that Clive,  most dmus do have a driver at the front end - but why didn't I notice that?  I've altered the caption.  I do have photos of dmus on GER lines with a tail lamp at the wrong end, but never on a "main" line.

To be honest I usually caption photos very quickly from Dad's and my catalogues and often do not look closely enough at the images.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like those Midland Railway at Butterley photos. Such a lot to see. In C3851, it's great to see the 'Midland Spinner' number 673. The crane engine is fascinating, and I'm wondering if there are any models of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob

I am very tempted to post on the Driverless TGV thread that according to David's photos BR had driverless DMUs years ago. :mosking: :mosking: :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

I am very tempted to post on the Driverless TGV thread that according to David's photos BR had driverless DMUs years ago. :mosking: :mosking: :mosking:

Coryton branch, Cardiff, 1976, and dmus were dropping like flies in the heat.  I worked one to Coryton, but it only had 2 engines working to start with and one of those failed as soon as we were on the branch.  Driver went on signal phone to inform of stiuation, and we were told to shuttle back and forth between Heath Low Level and Coryton until assistance could be found.  Probably because everything electrical as well as mechanical didn't like the heat much, after 2 of these trips the driver could not engage drive from the Cardiff-facing cab at Coryton, so we decided to propel with me in the leading cab and the train driven from the rear cab, using the buzzer as signals.  It was broad daylight, visibility was good, the branch is dead straight and level most of the way, and we could only make about 10mph anyway.  

But I couldn't resist leaving the cab to pretend to sell tickets, just to see the passengers' faces!  'It's trials for the new single-manning arrangement, mate'...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Coryton branch, Cardiff, 1976, and dmus were dropping like flies in the heat.  I worked one to Coryton, but it only had 2 engines working to start with and one of those failed as soon as we were on the branch.  Driver went on signal phone to inform of stiuation, and we were told to shuttle back and forth between Heath Low Level and Coryton until assistance could be found.  Probably because everything electrical as well as mechanical didn't like the heat much, after 2 of these trips the driver could not engage drive from the Cardiff-facing cab at Coryton, so we decided to propel with me in the leading cab and the train driven from the rear cab, using the buzzer as signals.  It was broad daylight, visibility was good, the branch is dead straight and level most of the way, and we could only make about 10mph anyway.  

But I couldn't resist leaving the cab to pretend to sell tickets, just to see the passengers' faces!  'It's trials for the new single-manning arrangement, mate'...

That's akin to the 85A driver in a GW railcar who put his dog in the driving seat and hid under the desk as the unit arrived in rural stations - allegedly

Phil

There was a summer dated DMU from GQS to Oban which then shuttles between Oban and Crianlarich to connect with GQS - Fort William trains. Not sure when it finished but I seem to recall it was still running in the days of the 37s.

Would that be the "Mexican Bean" Class 104, as here? (2nd one down) http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/class+104

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photos from Mossend and Motherwell. That first one at Mossend is a great photo of 37201. And between that photo and the next one, I didn't realise that the telegraph poles had lasted so long there.

With warmest regards,

Rob.