Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Some more ECML photos today, this time at Swayfield - which as we all know is on Stoke Bank between Peterborough and Grantham.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 31 up parcels Jan 70 J2049.jpg

Swayfield Class 31 up parcels Jan 70 J2049

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 40 274 down June 73 J3216.jpg

Swayfield Class 40 274? down June 73 J3216

attachicon.gifSwayfield 55020 down Feb 76 J5056.jpg

Swayfield 55 down Feb 76 J5056

David

J2049 - only 19 candidates. D prefix. Last digit possibly 6, might be D5516 (but very much a longshot).

J3216 - I agree with 274.

J5056 - too easy for a proper Spot-the-Deltic, it would be like a Spot-the-Ball with the ball still there!

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photos. The first one shows a very interesting parcels train, with the 31 powering it. Then in the second photo you have a 47 plus 8. Would the 47 be standing in for a Deltic?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photos. The first one shows a very interesting parcels train, with the 31 powering it. Then in the second photo you have a 47 plus 8. Would the 47 be standing in for a Deltic?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

And that's a 31/0 up front with a motley collection of 4 wheeled and bogie NPCCS.

Looks like the down slow was relaid in 1971 and the telegraph poles were felled in 1974/5.

Some wouldn't venture out in less than perfect lighting, good job some of us recorded the dull days....

Dave

• RMweb Gold

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think it was usually a Deltic working.

Maybe, but Dave your file name says 55020 whereas it looks much more like 55012 CREPELLO than NIMBUS.

I realised that the number was wrong after I had published the file so removed it from the caption, but of course that leaves the file name unchanged and I didn't have time to delete it, rename it and then  upload it again.

And that's a 31/0 up front with a motley collection of 4 wheeled and bogie NPCCS.

Looks like the down slow was relaid in 1971 and the telegraph poles were felled in 1974/5.

Some wouldn't venture out in less than perfect lighting, good job some of us recorded the dull days....

Dave

For many years both Dad and I took most of our photographs on Saturdays, we both worked indoors much of the time so whatever the weather it was nice to be outdoors for a while.

However in the days of ISO50 (it was ASA50 then) film taking photos in poor light could be a challenge.  I think Dad used a 50mm  f1.4 lens for a time which helped.  My 50mm lens around the time of these photos was probably f1.8.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

I think it was usually a Deltic working.

I realised that the number was wrong after I had published the file so removed it from the caption, but of course that leaves the file name unchanged and I didn't have time to delete it, rename it and then  upload it again.

For many years both Dad and I took most of our photographs on Saturdays, we both worked indoors much of the time so whatever the weather it was nice to be outdoors for a while.

However in the days of ISO50 (it was ASA50 then) film taking photos in poor light could be a challenge.  I think Dad used a 50mm  f1.4 lens for a time which helped.  My 50mm lens around the time of these photos was probably f1.8.

David

Luxury!

The best I ever aspired to was Agfa ASA50 slide film with f2.8 lens.

Mike.

1A21 - David, are you sure this was a Saturday? The CWN has the 11:32SO Bradford-KX as a Mk 1 set. On weekdays 1A21 was the 11:50 Bradford-KX, which was the return of the 07:55SX KX-Bradford. On Saturdays this set formed the 08:25 KX-Leeds, a stopping service arriving 11:50, so not in time to form the Bradford train.

J3216 - from the formation was the 16:15 KX-York.

• RMweb Gold

1A21 - David, are you sure this was a Saturday? The CWN has the 11:32SO Bradford-KX as a Mk 1 set. On weekdays 1A21 was the 11:50 Bradford-KX, which was the return of the 07:55SX KX-Bradford. On Saturdays this set formed the 08:25 KX-Leeds, a stopping service arriving 11:50, so not in time to form the Bradford train.

J3216 - from the formation was the 16:15 KX-York.

It should be a Saturday as Dad worked Monday to Friday then, as well as some Saturday mornings.

I have a photo of the same train, again I worked Monday to Friday and didn't take photos on Sundays as that was church and Sunday lunch!.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photos. In J4374, the 31 makes a fine sight at the head of 1C18 to Parkeston Quay. Then in the next photo’, J4375, the 47 hauled train, has, as the second vehicle, a postal Mk1. Im just not quite sure which diagram it is. Perhaps someone can work out which one it is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

If j4375 was taken in mid summer It might be the late pm service that always included a sorting/ posting facility ,as I recall from my early commuting days that you could post letters at Liverpool st in a letter box on the side of the coach, the service sometimes had up to 14 coaches... not too sure from the photo is ex Norwich or Liverpool st

• RMweb Gold

If j4375 was taken in mid summer It might be the late pm service that always included a sorting/ posting facility ,as I recall from my early commuting days that you could post letters at Liverpool st in a letter box on the side of the coach, the service sometimes had up to 14 coaches... not too sure from the photo is ex Norwich or Liverpool st

It's heading from Norwich to Liverpool Street.

It would have been taken around 7pm or a bit later as Dad sometimes went to a pub near there for a meal when he was visiting Ipswich for work.

David

You are quite right.  You could post letters in a post box on the side of the coach but I have a recollection that it was more expensive than the normal post.  Could be wrong though - memory can play tricks.

Chris Turnbull

You are quite right.  You could post letters in a post box on the side of the coach but I have a recollection that it was more expensive than the normal post.  Could be wrong though - memory can play tricks.

Chris Turnbull

Pretty sure it only had to be 1st class to be posted into the train like that.

Pretty sure it only had to be 1st class to be posted into the train like that.

There wasn't First Class for most of the life of the TPO service - you needed to attach an additional stamp; 1/2d or 1d according to the period in question, I seem to recall.

Regards,

John Isherwood.