Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

In May 1974, 1K26 was the 1830(SO)/1840(SX) Liverpool Street-Norwich. I don't have the 1975-6 workings. The K headcode was because the stock went on as the 2058 Norwich-Yarmouth. Still the same in 1976.

In 1974, 1N27 was the 1840 Norwich-Liverpool Street. The front of the train matches the Monday to Friday carriage workings for that year. There was no POS in the train on Saturdays. I don't have the 1975-6 workings. 

Thanks Robert.

These would have been taken midweek.

David

As Always, a veritable feast of enjoyable images. Growing up in Longbenton and Cramlington, your local shots are always of much interest. Our paths must have crossed at some points as you photographed so many of my old haunts. Many a happy Summers evening was spent spotting at these locations. Many thanks for sharing.

Edited by blueeighties

• RMweb Gold

An out of gauge load can usually be routed under special instructions; low speed and signalling restrictions may be needed, but it can be done.  Of course, by the time these photos were taken, it was becoming common to use road transport for preserved railway vehicles as it was cheaper than what BR was asking for!

There wasn't First Class for most of the life of the TPO service - you needed to attach an additional stamp; 1/2d or 1d according to the period in question, I seem to recall.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Aha. 1968 is given as the introduction of 1st class post. 

Lovely selection there. J2540 was taken from Thorpe Crossing, just west of Seaton Station on the Peterborough-Rugby line, the embankment of the line is the bank behind the fence on the left of the shot and might well have still had track on it in 1971.

The DMU in 3475 is a Derby class 127, the same shot taken today would be a world away from what that one shows.

Time for another batch of Great Eastern photos today, at Manningtree and also Bentley, on the north side of the river on the climb out of the valley of the River Stour on the way to Ipswich.

attachicon.gifBentley Class 47 down June 75 J4378.jpg

Bentley Class 47 down June 75 J4378  18.40SX Liverpool St to Norwich

Thanks to Robertcwp for the train details.

David

post-29052-0-56557800-1517155761.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Something of a Midland Railway Miscellany this afternoon.

attachicon.gifHarringworth viaduct March 71 J2540.jpg

Harringworth viaduct March 71 J2540

attachicon.gifKibworth view north April 73 C1233.jpg

Kibworth view north April 73 C1233

attachicon.gifFlitwick Class Bedford to St Pancras Nov 73 J3475.jpg

Flitwick Class Bedford to St Pancras Nov 73 J3475  Class 127

attachicon.gifEast Langton Class 45 St Pancras to Sheffield June 75 J4373.jpg

East Langton Class 45 St Pancras to Sheffield June 75 J4373

attachicon.gifGreat Glen Class 45 Nottingham to London June 75 J4486.jpg

Great Glen Class 45 Nottingham to London June 75 J4486

David

Great photos yet again, Thanks. 

The Flitwick picture in particular as I lived close to the line about 800 yds south of the station between 1976 and 1980. The noise those darned 127s made as they powered away with the engines at full speed from start to gear change and beyond! Only worse if you were travelling on the horrid things! We were kept awake some nights by the work to install the overhead wiring but were happy to put up with it as we thought we would get nice new quiet electric trains. We did, of course, get them eventually after long delays because of disputes over manning. (History repeats itself).

Aha. 1968 is given as the introduction of 1st class post. 

Yes. In the early 60s it was (I think) 2.5d, old pence, if you sent a letter unsealed, and 3d if it was sealed. I remember this because at birthdays and Christmas, any cards addressed to me with a 3d stamp on usually meant there was money inside. In my case this was normally a 10s (50p) note, which was a lot of money to a primary school kid. 

Occasionally, I would find a £1 note which was a small fortune - but my excitement was such that this would be confiscated immediately by my parents and put into National Savings Certificates. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ashchurch and Parkend photos. That Bedford QL conversion in J2879, is indeed most unique. It would make up into a great model.

The Midland Railway photos are a delightful collection. The class 127 in J3475 certainly makes a fine sight. I know they were so tired in their final years, with that electrification being a big relief.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Some more ECML photos today, this time at Swayfield - which as we all know is on Stoke Bank between Peterborough and Grantham.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 31 up parcels Jan 70 J2049.jpg

Swayfield Class 31 up parcels Jan 70 J2049

David

My favourite part of your photo posts, Dave. Spot the ex-SR PMVs et al... :)

As usual, many thanks for reminding us of the railway of years past.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photos. What great photo of a grimy 87019 Sir Winston Churchill in C7709. And that last photo’ shows the famous class 40, 40122, D200. What with the 60th anniversary of the class 40’s introduction this year, and 30 years since they were withdrawn, it’s quite a year for all who have an interest in the class.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

That chap standing in front of the door of 143002 in C7073 looks flabbergasted, as if he knows it's his train but can't quite bring himself to get on.

How do you think the passengers feel

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

Very nice selection of Midland photos Dave - driving over Harringworth at night is an odd feeling, heading south you drop down onto the viaduct and the surroundings are pitch black until you get about half way across it, in thick fog you feel as if you're floating about fifty feet above the valley floor. I think the viaduct itself is pretty much built on the level but the trackbed is much higher now than it used to be due to the very deep ballast, once you're past the half way mark heading south you start climbing as the line heads up past the site of Haringworth station and on towards Corby Tunnel, at anything less than notch eight on a 66 and you'll never get up the gradient with a heavy train so I'd imagine the villagers don't get much sleep when we're about. I've said this before but the Manton to Corby section is a very odd piece of railway, it seems to exist in its own little bubble if timelessness (for want of a better word!).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photos. C5593 is just so photogenic, and it would make a lovely painting. In C5882, with Class 40, 40035, you have people hanging out of windows which I believe is no longer permitted. River Blyth viaduct, in C19933, is a stark design, especially compared to, for example, Ribblehead viaduct.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photos. C5593 is just so photogenic, and it would make a lovely painting. In C5882, with Class 40, 40035, you have people hanging out of windows which I believe is no longer permitted. River Blyth viaduct, in C19933, is a stark design, especially compared to, for example, Ribblehead viaduct.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Leaning out of windows like that was not permitted, there being lots of signs inside the doors advising passengers of the inherent danger (on Eastern Division 4-CEPs, the warnings were in French, Italian and German as well as English); it was, however, tolerated. In recent years, the official attitude has become less tolerant, there having been at least one fatality directly resulting from someone's head striking a lineside structure.

Great to see pics along the B&T. The sky in the photo of the 37 at South Newsham looks amazing.

Once the weather warms up a bit I might venture out to take some pics on the B&T. Hopefully, to photograph the new GBRF biomass trains from Port of Tyne to Lynemouth Power Station.

Mal