Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi, Dave. I like the Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Photo's. That was quite a varied collection of engines. The High Dyke branch photo's are fantastic, and I like the GNR somersault signal in J3158 at Stainby. I wonder if that was the last one of those signals, outside of preservation, to survive that long?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

There were a fair few others around in other parts of Lincs long after High Dyke had closed. From memory the last ones were at Thorpe Culvert on the Skeggy line which went in the late 80s/ early 90s

Hi, Dave. I like the Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Photo's. That was quite a varied collection of engines. The High Dyke branch photo's are fantastic, and I like the GNR somersault signal in J3158 at Stainby. I wonder if that was the last one of those signals, outside of preservation, to survive that long?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I remember the Gloddfa Ganol locos well enough, went there while on holiday.

I think there may still be a GN somersault signal on the Boston Harbour branch where it crosses the road into the docks, certainly seen it mentioned not so long ago.

I remember the Gloddfa Ganol locos well enough, went there while on holiday.

I think there may still be a GN somersault signal on the Boston Harbour branch where it crosses the road into the docks, certainly seen it mentioned not so long ago.

Yes, I think it is still there. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a great set of Scottish photo’s. The scenery in J3860, at Garelochead, is stunning. It’s all so impressive, and the railway seems so minute in the middle of the wooded mountain slopes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

With reference to the recent Georgemas Junction picture, J3290 I think, an interesting contrast in ballast depth between the through lines and the dead end (bay platform or goods loading dock? Not sure. Perhaps both).

The through lines are ballasted almost to the top of the sleepers, the dead end looks like the ballast barely covers the bottom of the sleepers!

• RMweb Premium

I do hope the picture taken straight after J253 is not a pile of smashed up trains at the bottom of the embankment!

Keyboard problem with the class 5, Dave? Claaa? :jester:

Nice atmospheric pictures of the S&C, especially J0862

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Settle and Carlisle photo’s. In the second photo’, J248, the up Waverley, hauled by a Jubilee, in August, 1965, is comprised, as far as the visible carriages are concerned, of Stanier ex-LMS corridor stock.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I do hope the picture taken straight after J253 is not a pile of smashed up trains at the bottom of the embankment!

Keyboard problem with the class 5, Dave? Claaa? :jester:

Nice atmospheric pictures of the S&C, especially J0862

Cheers

Keith

I noticed a spelling mistake and managed to make it worse.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photos with all those Deltic hauled expresses. Post steam it was the ECML at its finest, which is so well captured in the photos. And in these photos, it’s most certainly a case of spot the Deltic! ;). I’m not too good at it, but I know there are plenty on here who are, and will enjoy seeing how they get on with each one. The first one appears to have been identified already.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I thought I'd try to take your minds off today's snow with a batch of photos of Deltics at Swayfield on the ECML.

Enjoy identifying them.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 07.05 Newcastle to Kings X April 70 J2087.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 07.05 Newcastle to Kings X April 70 J2087  9004

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 up 15.25 Leeds to Kings X June 73 J3213.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 up 15.25 Leeds to Kings X June 73 J3213

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 down ex pass Dec 74 C1836.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 down ex pass Dec 74 C1836

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 down Dec 74 J4123.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 down Dec 74 J4123

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 Kings X to Edinburgh April 78 J5984.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 Kings X to Edinburgh April 78 J5984

David

Are these new photos? All can be identified.

J4123 was taken earlier than C1836! :)

• RMweb Gold

Are these new photos? All can be identified.

J4123 was taken earlier than C1836! :)

They are all new to this thread.

After I posted them I realised that those two were in the wrong order.  There is a reason for having two photos of the same train.

David

• RMweb Gold

J2087, I'll propose Queen's Own Highlander '004

I'll leave at the easiest :D

Having had a quick look at them, I agree that J2087 is 9004, whilst J3213 is 9021, C1836 is 55 019 and J5984 is 55 021 again. I'll give a bit more thought to J4123 later (when I've got a bit more time).

C1836 & J4123 from the formation, the 10:00 KX-Edinburgh - The Flying Scotsman

J5984 from the formation, also appears to be the 10:00 KX-Ed FS. Getting near to the end of loco-haulage for this train.

Having had more time, than earlier, to look. I'd say J4123 is '019 again.

Very many thanks to you all for identifying the locos and trains as applicable.

As far as I can work out C1836 and J1423 were taken at the same time, one by Dad and one by me, so I'm glad it is the same loco and working!  I posted both to see if the loco was identified as the same one in both photos.

It is just possible it is the same train on different days, but that is not very likely.  

Now I can add the details to my photo catalogues.

David

Very many thanks to you all for identifying the locos and trains as applicable.

As far as I can work out C1836 and J1423 were taken at the same time, one by Dad and one by me, so I'm glad it is the same loco and working! I posted both to see if the loco was identified as the same one in both photos.

It is just possible it is the same train on different days, but that is not very likely.

Now I can add the details to my photo catalogues.

David

I think one say to the nearest second how much earlier J4123 is than C1836 - one second!

Deltics in order of first appearance:

Queen's Own Highlander

Argyll and Sutherland Highlander

Royal Highland Fusilier

Very apt for the snowy weather and either an inspired choice or a random fluke but to take our minds off the cold I would have preferred Bahamas.

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful Dave - you cant beat a set of Deltic photos!

As for that 9F - well, its a single chimneyed loco so that wipes out 78 possibilities at a stroke  - and that looks like a BR1c or Br1d tender - should cut it down a bit more! And its not an Ex Crosti so there goes another 10 - and 16 were withdrawn in 1964 .... so overall that probably gets it down to half the class...

Oh hang on... BR1c/d tenders were fitted to Nos 92015-19/45-59/77-86/100-39/50-64 - that's a total of 85 then , none of those were withdrawn in 64 so we are down to 1 in 85.....

Phil

Having had more time, than earlier, to look. I'd say J4123 is '019 again.

That was my initial thought, earlier, based on the nameplate layout - I just wasn't sure if I could see a break in the top line lettering (which would have tempted me towards 6) or the old horn clips on the cab roof. I'm pretty certain that you're right though, on a second look, and if David thinks that it's part of a pair then I'm happy to concur.

• Like 1