Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photo’s. Interesting to see the failure of the 45 in the first photo’, and I’m thinking that the class 25 must be going to rescue it. In J5824, at Cowburn Tunnel, in October, 1977, the unit is a class 114 rather than a class 108. The 64 feet long bodies, and four big windows between the two passenger doors being two clues. Also no class 108’s had a top marker light fitted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Photos taken around Derbyshire over a 27 year period today.

attachicon.gifGrindleford Class 45 failed St Pancras to Manchester Piccadilly and Class 25 May 72 C0943.jpg

Grindleford Class 45 failed St Pancras to Manchester Piccadilly and Class 25 May 72 C0943

David

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photo’s. Interesting to see the failure of the 45 in the first photo’, and I’m thinking that the class 25 must be going to rescue it. In J5824, at Cowburn Tunnel, in October, 1977, the unit is a class 114 rather than a class 108. The 64 feet long bodies, and four big windows between the two passenger doors being two clues. Also no class 108’s had a top marker light fitted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Just to correct the record, the 25 in the first photo is actually a 24. I would surmise not a class of loco usually seen over that route. Maybe the only loco available to go and rescue. It's a lovely photo all the same, with lots of misc detail to get the modelling juices flowing. Thank you for sharing David.

Paul J.

Swayfield Class 55 9012 up Yorkshire Pullman July 72 J2979.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 9012 up Yorkshire Pullman July 72 J2979 09.48 Harrogate to Kings X on a Saturday

Swayfield Class 55 Newcastle to Kings X July 72 J2980.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 Newcastle to Kings X July 72 J2980 08.50 SO

David

I think J2980 is most likely to be 9011, just from the photo without any other evidence. The similar weather and slide numbering suggest J2979 and J2980 were shot on the same day, which according to the Napier Chronicles for 9012 must be either the 15th or 29th of July 1972. 9011 hauled 1A13 on the latter, but what is was doing on the 15th is unrecorded. Thus the exact date for both photos could very well be Saturday 29th July 1972, thanks largely to headcode panels. It's a pity they stopped being used as locos with them never looked as good afterwards.

Edited by Western Glory
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob, 

Thanks for pointing out the dmu is a Class 114 - I still cannot get dmu identification sorted out - and I rode on 114's often enough.

The Class 24 was removed from a freight train to rescue us.

Just to correct the record, the 25 in the first photo is actually a 24. I would surmise not a class of loco usually seen over that route. Maybe the only loco available to go and rescue. It's a lovely photo all the same, with lots of misc detail to get the modelling juices flowing. Thank you for sharing David.

Paul J.

Thanks Paul.

I think J2980 is most likely to be 9011, just from the photo without any other evidence. The similar weather and slide numbering suggest J2979 and J2980 were shot on the same day, which according to the Napier Chronicles for 9012 must be either the 15th or 29th of July 1972. 9011 hauled 1A13 on the latter, but what is was doing on the 15th is unrecorded. Thus the exact date for both photos could very well be Saturday 29th July 1972, thanks largely to headcode panels. It's a pity they stopped being used as locos with them never looked as good afterwards.

I've looked at Dad's notes (and mine) because I think I was at their house in late July, I can't work out for certain which Saturday it was, but the 29th would make sense.  Thanks for the time you've taken narrowing it down.

I trust you popped into Bill Hudson's bookshop, in your last shot David.

From what I remember I spent far too much that day!

David.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.&.S.R. photo’s. All very interesting, and the first one is a good side shot of the Brush class 30 ‘Toffee Apples’. I’ve checked the classification, and it was class 30 for those pilot scheme engines, and class 31 for the production engines. Then a good series of photo’s of the class 302 EMU’s going about their everyday work. Finally I like the snow in C4279 at Laindon, in January, 1979. A most cooling scene on this most hot and humid day. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm not sure that we can assume that the first one is a 'Toffee Apple', either, as a further 20 of the production batch were equipped with disc-fitted cab fronts, rather than headcode panels:  the first ten (D5520-29) and then a further ten, entirely at random, in the number series between D5530 and D5562. Other than the red circle coupling code on the front I'm not aware of any obvious external detail differences by which to identify the pilot scheme engines, unless anyone can point me towards them?

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that we can assume that the first one is a 'Toffee Apple', either, as a further 20 of the production batch were equipped with disc-fitted cab fronts, rather than headcode panels:  the first ten (D5520-29) and then a further ten, entirely at random, in the number series between D5530 and D5562. Other than the red circle coupling code on the front I'm not aware of any obvious external detail differences by which to identify the pilot scheme engines, unless anyone can point me towards them?

I've just had a look at my Class 31 photos on the LTSR, all the non headcode locos I photographed had the red circle coupling code.  I enlarged my original scan of the image in today's post and I can just see a red spot - and it certainly is not a blue star.

The parcels train to Southend East was also a red spot 31 the few times I photographed it.

I think I only saw headcode fitted 31s a couple of times on pw trains on the LTSR between 1974 and when I moved away in 1980.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photo’s at Toton and Trent. A great set, and in J5841, at Toton, in October, 1977, you can see the barrier wagons between the 08 and the Carless tank wagons. In the last photo’, at Trent, wth 150144, on a Derby to Lincoln service, on May 31st, 1986,the bridge seems at the minimum height for the loading gauge. The underside of it is just clear of the roof of the train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Midland today, at Toton and Trent.

The first photo isn't great in terms of colour fidelity but it is well worth looking at the rolling stock in the background.

You may think you've seen the second photo before but you have not.  It is the same train as before, but a different photo of it.

attachicon.gifwb Toton 4F 44529 shunting, wagons descending up hump June 64 J141 note wagons with 4F.jpg

Toton 4F 44529 shunting, wagons descending up hump June 64 J141 note wagons with 4F

attachicon.gifToton Class 08 propelling tanks Carless Oct 77 J5841.jpg

Toton Class 08 propelling tanks Carless Oct 77 J5841

attachicon.gifTrent Class 254 Nottingham to St Pancras 31st May May 86 C7546.jpg

Trent Class 254 Nottingham to St Pancras 31st May May 86 C7546

attachicon.gifTrent Clas 47 up coal March 76 J5067.jpg

Trent Class 47 up coal March 76 J5067

attachicon.gifTrent 150144 Derby to Lincoln 31st May May 86 C7554.jpg

Trent 150144 Derby to Lincoln 31st May May 86 C7554

David

J141 - the 4F is shunting ex-LMS Stonebridge Park bogie hoppers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Love the last photo C7554. Due to the ambient lighting and the angle, it looks like the unit has barely made it under the bridge.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photo’s. A great set and all so nostalgic. That’s a fabulous view of a HST in C6147, at Trent, in August, 1983. But they couldn’t speed up the MML service by much since the nature of it was not suitable for high speed services. I love the photo’ of a class 45 hauled service in the last one, in October, 1975, at Kegworth. It must be accelerating going by the hazy plume of exhaust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65