Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

The IECC site had, at one time, been the site of the laundry that dealt with all the linen (both bed and table) for the ER; I believe it had been rail-served at one point.

Is that correct? The LNER had a laundry in York on the Fosse Islands branch which was rail served and operated for many years into the BR period.

Paul

I too understood that the site of the IECC had once been a railway laundry, having been told that by a former fireman/secondman while I was a student at Newcastle Poly. My memory suggests that there might even have still been remains of the building there when I began my course, although the IECC was pretty much operational when I finished.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the Carless wagons; the only flow I know of was from their refinery at Parkeston Quay to a terminal near Longport (Stoke) conveying solvents; this was in the late 1970s/early 1980s, using 45t GLW monobloc tanks. These worked as a block train. Might the tanks in the photo be going to, or coming from, repair at W H Davies works near Worksop?

Hi Brian

Outside their offices at Parkston Quay was a sign on the fence.

CARLESS

Vistor's parking

I too understood that the site of the IECC had once been a railway laundry, having been told that by a former fireman/secondman while I was a student at Newcastle Poly. My memory suggests that there might even have still been remains of the building there when I began my course, although the IECC was pretty much operational when I finished.

There was a building at the eastern end of the site, next to the double gates: I recollect it was supposedly a bodywork repairer or similar. This would have been in 1983/4.

David,

..... I only went to Consett the once, on this RPPR railtour (the "County Durham Crusader"), in May 1979, and my memories are much hazier than my photography! ....

I'm jolly glad you went the once at any rate, because you managed to capture a rake of 16T minerals on ironstone duty!

I've been searching for evidence of this without a great deal of success (I think only one image in the Eric Tonks Ironstone series of books).  Thanks.

I'm jolly glad you went the once at any rate, because you managed to capture a rake of 16T minerals on ironstone duty!

I've been searching for evidence of this without a great deal of success (I think only one image in the Eric Tonks Ironstone series of books).  Thanks.

Be careful. Those 16 tonners are on one of the lines used to feed the melting shop. So probably loaded with fine ferrous scrap from one of the North Easts many engineering works or scrap dealers.

Yes, I was thinking that. A bit too dark for iron ore. 

There were occasional 16t minerals in Highdyke - Frodingham workings. I saw them pass my Dad's house in the 1960s, but I would say that two in one train was not common, and most rakes had none.  

Be careful. Those 16 tonners are on one of the lines used to feed the melting shop. So probably loaded with fine ferrous scrap from one of the North Easts many engineering works or scrap dealers.

That would be my interpretation, too.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The fine ferrous scrap can be seen over the top of each of the wagons.

Paul

• Like 1

Yes, I was thinking that. A bit too dark for iron ore. 

There were occasional 16t minerals in Highdyke - Frodingham workings. I saw them pass my Dad's house in the 1960s, but I would say that two in one train was not common, and most rakes had none.  

The wartime built LMS ones looked the same from a distance the main difference being the drop link on the brake lever like the BR iron ore tipplers!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

That’s a very smart 43088 in C7658, but clearly it wasn’t in such a good condition mechanically. I’m not very familiar with York station but is the photo of the arriving class 45 in C7674 taken from the end of one of the “Scarborough” platforms?

• RMweb Premium

... is the photo of the arriving class 45 in C7674 taken from the end of one of the “Scarborough” platforms?

Yep, you are spot on (the current platform 4).

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York station photo's. So full of nostalgic and full of interest. What a fairly typical condition the class 40 is in that first photo'. Cleanliness was not a very high priority in those days, even for relatively new diesels. Platform 7 to the right was used by the Market Weighton and Hull line trains until the service ceased after the last train ran on November, 27th, 1965.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

and J6019 would be a class 414 (2-HAP).

C5619 the "other" Gravesend station was Gravesend West, and it did come up to a pier. I'm not 100% sure if that's the pier in your photo. NLS maps at https://maps.nls.uk/view/95750315 gives you an idea of the layout.

Used to pass Brewster Printing every day on my way to school!

Edited by eastwestdivide

and J6019 would be a class 414 (2-HAP).

C5619 the "other" Gravesend station was Gravesend West, and it did come up to a pier. I'm not 100% sure if that's the pier in your photo. NLS maps at https://maps.nls.uk/view/95750315 gives you an idea of the layout.

Used to pass Brewster Printing every day on my way to school!

Didn't the link between the first section of CTRL to the existing lines use part of the route of this line towards Fawkham Junction?

Yes, while another part of the route between Gravesend West and what's now Ebbsfleet has since been excavated to become a link road.

See between the diagonal red lines on this map extract:

post-6971-0-16941500-1533139921.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Southern photo's. All so full of interest. In particular I like J6018, at Hollingbourne, with class 414's EMU's 6077 and 6105, in April, 1978. A good typical scene.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, while another part of the route between Gravesend West and what's now Ebbsfleet has since been excavated to become a link road.

See between the diagonal red lines on this map extract:

attachicon.gifGravesend West branch.jpg

While the Southern part links into something altogether more appropriate:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=51.4285&lon=0.3323&layers=168&right=BingSat

keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much to all of you who have posted the very helpful comments about the photos this evening.  There are really too many to reply to them using quotes.

I appreciate them very much.

David