Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David

Was that tank still in traffic?

Sadly no, it had been restored and was on display at the Stockton and Darlington 150th celebrations.

David

• Like 1

... That’s a fabulous view of a HST in C6147, at Trent, in August, 1983. But they couldn’t speed up the MML service by much since the nature of it was not suitable for high speed services...

Oh I don't know, they didn't do too badly for a route that had a lot of semaphores: Leicester-London fasts improved from ~1h30 to ~1h15 with the change from 45/1+Mk2s to HSTs. 

Oh I don't know, they didn't do too badly for a route that had a lot of semaphores: Leicester-London fasts improved from ~1h30 to ~1h15 with the change from 45/1+Mk2s to HSTs. 

... and Derby went from ~2hr to ~1hr 40min.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

More nostalgia from the NE.

How things change.

In C6376 all those (1960s?) flats in view have long gone

https://goo.gl/maps/qKKidZptXT82

Beyond them, in the distance is the site of the future Tyneside IECC.

https://goo.gl/maps/CPdGYYYv85T2

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Hi Dave

More nostalgia from the NE.

How things change.

In C6376 all those (1960s?) flats in view have long gone

https://goo.gl/maps/qKKidZptXT82

Beyond them, in the distance is the site of the future Tyneside IECC.

https://goo.gl/maps/CPdGYYYv85T2

Cheers

Keith

The IECC site had, at one time, been the site of the laundry that dealt with all the linen (both bed and table) for the ER; I believe it had been rail-served at one point.

Consett......I remember being on a SADRES club trip in June 1966, to the NE. gateshead was such a disappointment, all diesels, and then we went out of our way to Consett..the shed was empty. So we came all the way back to east of Newcastle.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the S&D 150 photo’s. Such a good photo’ of 43106 in, C2372, on 24th, August, 1975. A pity more of that class was not preserved.

The North Eastern photo’s are so full of nostalgia. I like C6338, at Derwenthaugh Junction, with 08370 on loan to the NCB, in January, 1984. A particularly good photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

David,

C6352 - would this have been taken from the bridge in the background of the picture below? I only went to Consett the once, on this RPPR railtour (the "County Durham Crusader"), in May 1979, and my memories are much hazier than my photography! Looking back at old photographs it is often difficult to get the context. I hadn't actually realised that the steelworks had been razed so soon after my visit. If we're looking at the same point then it's quite shocking to see the complete elimination of the infrastructure (track excepted) in only five years.

My suspicion is that it might have been taken from around the pile of sleepers in the bottom right of your picture (obviously looking in the opposite direction).

Thanks.

post-27843-0-63057700-1532903181_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I'm suprised to see smoke eminating from the stove on the brake van considering the tanks here. What was being transported and was there a policy about lit stoves and hazardous loads?

The Midland today, at Toton and Trent.

The first photo isn't great in terms of colour fidelity but it is well worth looking at the rolling stock in the background.

You may think you've seen the second photo before but you have not.  It is the same train as before, but a different photo of it.

attachicon.gifToton Class 08 propelling tanks Carless Oct 77 J5841.jpg

Toton Class 08 propelling tanks Carless Oct 77 J5841

TTFN,

Ben

• RMweb Gold

I'm suprised to see smoke eminating from the stove on the brake van considering the tanks here. What was being transported and was there a policy about lit stoves and hazardous loads?

TTFN,

Ben

It's probably less dangerous than hauling tankers with a steam engine which can throw hot cinders (and particles of burning coal) a considerable distance.

As far as I know they contained oil, but I don't have any details.

David

David,

C6352 - would this have been taken from the bridge in the background of the picture below? I only went to Consett the once, on this RPPR railtour (the "County Durham Crusader"), in May 1979, and my memories are much hazier than my photography! Looking back at old photographs it is often difficult to get the context. I hadn't actually realised that the steelworks had been razed so soon after my visit. If we're looking at the same point then it's quite shocking to see the complete elimination of the infrastructure (track excepted) in only five years.

My suspicion is that it might have been taken from around the pile of sleepers in the bottom right of your picture (obviously looking in the opposite direction).

Thanks.

I think that is the right location.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the ECML photo’s north of Newcastle. Such a great set, and in C13920, at Heaton Depot, with 08888, on 20th January, 1990, you have some really fine weathering of it which would look so good on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

TTFN,

Ben

They are class A tanks, so require a pair of barriers if going more than 4 miles. They don't need them when shunting. Of course, it is essential that a brake van has a fire for most of the year in Britain.

Paul

The IECC site had, at one time, been the site of the laundry that dealt with all the linen (both bed and table) for the ER; I believe it had been rail-served at one point.

Is that correct? The LNER had a laundry in York on the Fosse Islands branch which was rail served and operated for many years into the BR period.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

It's probably less dangerous than hauling tankers with a steam engine which can throw hot cinders (and particles of burning coal) a considerable distance.

As far as I know they contained oil, but I don't have any details.

David

David

Barrier wagons on tank trains were only required in certain cases of highly explosive or flammable products; crude oil, heavy fuel oil and such would not need them.  I once worked a train into Llandarcy refinery, where you had to leave any matches, lighters, or anything with a flint in a box at the gate, and of course smoking was banned.  Paraffin tail lights were fine, though!

• RMweb Premium

Barrier wagons on tank trains were only required in certain cases of highly explosive or flammable products; crude oil, heavy fuel oil and such would not need them.  I once worked a train into Llandarcy refinery, where you had to leave any matches, lighters, or anything with a flint in a box at the gate, and of course smoking was banned.  Paraffin tail lights were fine, though!

Crude oil does need barrier wagons, it is a class A load as it has a low flash point. It is a very dirty load compared to other class A fuels. BP had a dedicated fleet of wagons for crude oil. 

As can be seen on my site, with Pete Fidczuk, I 'did' the two Milford Haven refineries - Gulf and Elf - and they were fine about our cameras but BP Llandarcy required us to use the basic camera they supplied. And then left us alone to measure a wagon well into the evening! https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/oilterminals Of all the oil facilities visited only BP were that cautious.

Paul

As can be seen on my site, with Pete Fidczuk, I 'did' the two Milford Haven refineries - Gulf and Elf - and they were fine about our cameras but BP Llandarcy required us to use the basic camera they supplied. And then left us alone to measure a wagon well into the evening! https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/oilterminals Of all the oil facilities visited only BP were that cautious.

Paul

BOCM at Selby were equally cautious about cameras with batteries and many oil terminals staff had to use sealed Bardic lamps inside them.

Mark Saunders

David

Thanks for confirming that, David. I've got a couple of shots taken in the opposite direction but, at that time, the train was alongside (we detrained in the yard and it was later pulled to the location in my shot by the Consett '08') and, as the yard curves away to the left, it doesn't give you much to go on. There is a very similar signal post to the right, as in your shot, although at the time that I was there, with pegs - hence my guess that these images may well match up.

Regarding the Carless wagons; the only flow I know of was from their refinery at Parkeston Quay to a terminal near Longport (Stoke) conveying solvents; this was in the late 1970s/early 1980s, using 45t GLW monobloc tanks. These worked as a block train. Might the tanks in the photo be going to, or coming from, repair at W H Davies works near Worksop?