Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Odds and ends from the East Midlands.

Once again some may prove useful to modellers.

attachicon.gifSaxby Class 44 D3 up May 71 J2661.jpg

Saxby Class 44 D3 up May 71 J2661

attachicon.gifEastwell sidings GN and LNW Joint line to Leicester view south May 72 J2917.jpg

Eastwell sidings GN and LNW Joint line to Leicester view south May 72 J2917

attachicon.gifBrentingby Junction Aug 72 J3001.jpg

Brentingby Junction Aug 72 J3001

attachicon.gifAshwell Class 45 down iron ore Nov 72 J3125.jpg

Ashwell Class 45 down iron ore Nov 72 J3125

attachicon.gifEye aerial ropeway clay pit to brick works May 73 J3191.jpg

Eye aerial ropeway clay pit to brick works May 73 J3191

David

Is that peak in J3125 really on a train of ironstone? It looks more like a train of S&L 16t tipplers to me. By 1972, there was very little ore traffic northbound at that point, the Cottesmore line was a mile or so north and most other pits South of there were serving Corby or had closed, Twywell was the only remains one which was still regularly sending traffic to Staveley.

• RMweb Gold

Is that peak in J3125 really on a train of ironstone? It looks more like a train of S&L 16t tipplers to me. By 1972, there was very little ore traffic northbound at that point, the Cottesmore line was a mile or so north and most other pits South of there were serving Corby or had closed, Twywell was the only remains one which was still regularly sending traffic to Staveley.

It could be empties.

David

• RMweb Premium

... at Brentingby the remains of the two water columns at the end of the up loop...

And the Pway gang with a trolley. Gas cylinder on the trolley suggests thay may have been doing (or are going to do) a bit of welding.

Regards, Ian.

I remember trains such as the 46 and Mk1s from that era, before I bought a car. Working near London and making trips back to see family, I would do my utmost to use a train with Mk2 aircon vehicles and a Deltic from Kings Cross, but virtually none would be stopping at Grantham. 

Those which did stop at Grantham were invariably Mk1s with a 46 on the front. I could have been on that train - it seems to fit the bill, nine coaches in photo and no sign of any catering. 

• Like 1

Today was going to be 5 Deltics but I realised one had appeared before, so it is now 4 Deltics and a Class 46.

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 9015 down July 72 J2977.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 9015 down July 72 J2977

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 9012 up Yorkshire Pullman July 72 J2979.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 9012 up Yorkshire Pullman July 72 J2979

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 Newcastle to Kings X July 72 J2980.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 Newcastle to Kings X July 72 J2980

attachicon.gifSwayfield Class 55 Leeds to Kings X Apr 74 J3652.jpg

Swayfield Class 55 Leeds to Kings X Apr 74 J3652

attachicon.gifEssendine Class 46 down Dec 74 J4126.jpg

Essendine Class 46 down Dec 74 J4126

David

More nice photos from you David. Thank you for posting them. We used to get 46's out of "The Cross" until late 81,. the last one I have in my diary on a mainline job, was 46049 on the 19.40 hrs from Kings Cross, as far as Doncaster. Used to appear a lot on the overnight trains,and sometimes the 17.12 hrs, Kings Cross-Grantham, until it got cut back to Peterborough. I remember going out to FP to pick up the loco for the 17.12, and the driver wasn't happy to be given a 46, so he promptly failed it and pursauded the FP foreman to give him a Deltic instead, fully in the knowlage that it would be required back at KX for a night service. KX-Grantham and return was mileage, so extra payment, and getting back quicker.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Agreed, S&L coal tipplers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a fantastic set of ECML photo’s. The Deltics make a great sight, and the trains being hauled are a bit of mixture between Mkl and Mkll. Interesting to see a TSO leading the formation in the first photo’. I suppose it would be for operational requirements as described earlier in this thread. I know the platforms at Kings Cross have not been the longest.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Those photos show something you don't see modelled very often, the different roof shades. You have all the range from light grey ex works through to dark grey, weathered grey to almost black, with the BG on the Pullman with the roof dark at the centre and light at the edge where the cleaning brushes can get.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another wonderful set of photos Dave, thanks once again for sharing.

Re C5634, not something you see every day! And no doubt you would receive a fair bit of flak from some quarters if modelled on a layout!

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Potland photo’s. Potland is a place which I haven’t heard of before, but it looks most interesting, and I particularly like C5641, of 37030, on coal empties to Butterwell loader, in April, 1982. The 37 looks quite dusty, and otherwise time worn. With the lowish sun, it makes quite a sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

For yesterdays photos:

1S17 was the 10:00 KX-Edinburgh - The Flying Scotsman

1A16 was the 09:48 Harrogate-KX - The Yorkshire Pullman (with 2 Pullmans it is the Saturday train)

1A13 was the 08:50SO Newcastle-KX

1E11 was the 09:00 Aberdeen-KX

J4126 the formation matches the 13:00SuO KX-Edinburgh. If it's not Sunday then possibly the 13:50FO KX-Newcastle which matches other than the final BSK. There weren't that many vacuum braked sets on the ECML in regular use in the winter months by 1974!

• RMweb Gold

For yesterdays photos:

1S17 was the 10:00 KX-Edinburgh - The Flying Scotsman

1A16 was the 09:48 Harrogate-KX - The Yorkshire Pullman (with 2 Pullmans it is the Saturday train)

1A13 was the 08:50SO Newcastle-KX

1E11 was the 09:00 Aberdeen-KX

J4126 the formation matches the 13:00SuO KX-Edinburgh. If it's not Sunday then possibly the 13:50FO KX-Newcastle which matches other than the final BSK. There weren't that many vacuum braked sets on the ECML in regular use in the winter months by 1974!

Mark,

Once again thanks for the train details.

As far as I can work out the last photo (J4126) was probably not taken on a Sunday, so it ought to be the Friday train.    I am in the photo on the far left so it would have been taken either in the last few days before Christmas or between Christmas and New Year.

David

Today we are at Potland Crossing in Northumberland.

This is situated on the line which used to run from Ashington in a generally northerly direction before turning to the west past the Butterwell Opencast disposal point to join the ECML at Butterwell Junction, north of Morpeth.

It has always been freight only, the section between Ashington and just south of the crossing closed some years ago.

More recently there has been an opencast coal loading point just to the south of the crossing (Potland) with coal going out to the ECML at Butterwell Junction.

attachicon.gifPotland crossing Class 37 37030 empty coal to Butterwell loader April 82 C5642.jpg

Potland crossing Class 37 37030 empty coal to Butterwell loader April 82 C5642

David

I don't think I've seen the large Railfreight logo on the right side of the hopper before. Interesting variation.

Should probably look at Mr Bartletts site to see how many of the fleet had this and thus whether I should have paid more attention.

The small logo near the top of the hopper and the slightly larger logo a little further down are more usual. Wonder if that particular logo was intended for another type of vehicle, perhaps a van, and ended up on the hopper for reasons unknown.

I don't think I've seen the large Railfreight logo on the right side of the hopper before. Interesting variation.

Should probably look at Mr Bartletts site to see how many of the fleet had this and thus whether I should have paid more attention.

The small logo near the top of the hopper and the slightly larger logo a little further down are more usual. Wonder if that particular logo was intended for another type of vehicle, perhaps a van, and ended up on the hopper for reasons unknown.

Only one,and it is on display and possibly the first repaint in red and grey https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brhba/eb9fb9a8 But I didn't see many, if any. of the considerable fleet the North East acquired for a while.

Paul