Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Weald would be Sevenoaks tunnel south end - the current OS map has it as "Sevenoaks Weald". Knole Park is up over on the right (out of sight).

Agreed, although I've never heard anyone referring to "Weald" in the context of a place, despite my growing up in the area. "The Weald" is somewhat larger geographical area and stretches between the North and South Downs crossing Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, although I've never heard anyone referring to "Weald" in the context of a place, despite my growing up in the area. "The Weald" is somewhat larger geographical area and stretches between the North and South Downs crossing Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

It's no wonder I wasn't sure where it was then.

Many thanks.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the selection of Southern Region photo's. All so interesting, and nostalgic. In J6535, at Southampton, with class 205, number 1128 on a Salisbury to Portsmouth Harbour service in July, 1979, you can clearly see that on the adjacent line, the visible section of what is a 4VEP, that the curtains are not orange. That surprises me since I only recall orange curtains. I wonder what had happened?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the selection of Southern Region photo's. All so interesting, and nostalgic. In J6535, at Southampton, with class 205, number 1128 on a Salisbury to Portsmouth Harbour service in July, 1979, you can clearly see that on the adjacent line, the visible section of what is a 4VEP, that the curtains are not orange. That surprises me since I only recall orange curtains. I wonder what had happened?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

They look like the typical sun bleached orange I remember on my phone screen but on my computer look slightly different!

• RMweb Gold

With warmest regards,

Rob.

They look like the typical sun bleached orange I remember on my phone screen but on my computer look slightly different!

When you opened them up they looked like striped deckchair fabric!

Mike.

I think they are faded orange.

However the colours on the original slide had changed quite a lot, I attempted to sort that out in Photoshop but didn't really succeed.  About the only colour in the photo anywhere near "correct" is the yellow on the end of the train.

David

J6681 Headcode 8 was normally the CX-Sevenoaks-Tonbridge and all stations to Ashford services (other stops between CX and Tonbridge too).

Weald would be Sevenoaks tunnel south end - the current OS map has it as "Sevenoaks Weald". Knole Park is up over on the right (out of sight).

and across the A20 on the road up into Sevenoaks itself is Riverhill Himalayan Garden - well worth a visit at bluebell time

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s. In particular C6691, at Hexham with a class 101 on a Newcastle to Carlisle service, on the 2nd February, 1985. You have a great view of the lovely NER footbridge, and can also see the excellent platform awnings. The NER could really design things.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I am surprised how low the coal drops were at Hexham.

Jonathan

Too high and the coal will break when dropped and House Coal is sold by origin/type and size. Hence why anti coal breakers were used on Staithes for shipping house coal and at collieries the conveyor was lowered reducing the drop and thus the breakage!

• RMweb Premium

An absolutely fabulous set of photos this afternoon Dave, once again, many thanks for taking the time to share them with us. From other photos of the area, I hadn't realised the gradient at this point on the branch (J2512), or is this a bit of an optical illusion?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a fabulous set of photo’s of High Dyke. So full of interest, and, as already commented on, the gradient of the branch was really steep.

Now, in the first photo’, with class 46 D167 on an up express passenger service, in February, 1969, I see the third carriage is a Mk1 lounge car. You hardly ever see photo’s of such a rare carriage, so it’s really good to see it in the formation of that train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An absolutely fabulous set of photos this afternoon Dave, once again, many thanks for taking the time to share them with us. From other photos of the area, I hadn't realised the gradient at this point on the branch (J2512), or is this a bit of an optical illusion?

It was steep, but perhaps not quite as steep as the photo makes it look.  The Class 47 will soon disappear behind the grass just in front of it as the line curves away to the west.

Sadly the sectional appendix does not show the gradient but I believe it was 1 in 40.

David

• RMweb Gold

1 in 40, Dave? That’s as steep as sections of the former branch from Scarborough to Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby. There’s a story where, one particularly bad weathers day, that a DMU got stuck on one the banks. The trailer car was removed into a siding at Robin Hoods Bay, but it made no difference. So a D49 Hunt came to the rescue. Even then it was a struggle to get up the 1 in 40 incline.

Best regards,

Rob.

1 in 40, Dave? That’s as steep as sections of the former branch from Scarborough to Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby.....

And it's a bl@@dy long slog on a pushbike.

On the face of it, 1 in 40 doesn't sound too steep for a (now) cycle path - but when it's continuous for nearly 5 miles it's hard work, especially on a summer's day.

Indeed it is just a very local place name - the Track Parallelling Hut here (sitting in the far distance just over the leading CEP cab roof in the 1st photo) is called "Weald TPH"

Edited by Southernman46

J1550, I suspect the date for this is the 15th or 16th February 1969. 

We had a lot of snow late in the previous week, but the following week was school half term.

The sun came out over the weekend and I decided to go to Crewe on the Monday (17th). Much of the snow had melted by then - at least as far as Derby, but as the train headed west towards Stoke we plunged into thick freezing fog and it was difficult to see loco numbers more than 50 yards away. The lying snow became deeper by Crewe and there was a good deal remaining on the platforms. 

• RMweb Gold

J1550, I suspect the date for this is the 15th or 16th February 1969. 

We had a lot of snow late in the previous week, but the following week was school half term.

The sun came out over the weekend and I decided to go to Crewe on the Monday (17th). Much of the snow had melted by then - at least as far as Derby, but as the train headed west towards Stoke we plunged into thick freezing fog and it was difficult to see loco numbers more than 50 yards away. The lying snow became deeper by Crewe and there was a good deal remaining on the platforms. 

Looking at the other photos Dad took during the month those dates seem likely.

Thanks.

David