Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Talyllyn Railway photo’s. It’s always a delight to see that line and the Welsh scenery.

The GEML photo’s at Marks Tey are full of interest too, and I particularly like the one with the track machines and Plasser & Theurer tamper in J6665, in November, 1979.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A set of stunning photo’s today from north of Inverness. The Scottish scenery is just awe inspiring, and always a delight to see which is so well captured in these photo’s. I particularly like C1326 at Borrobol Platform, with a class 26 on a Wick and Thurso to Inverness train, in August, 1973. The train looks so insignificant in the midst of the towering scenery - hardly any trees to see.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, although I've never heard anyone referring to "Weald" in the context of a place, despite my growing up in the area. "The Weald" is somewhat larger geographical area and stretches between the North and South Downs crossing Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

As former Operating Assistant to the South Eastern, “Weald” is exactly how that railway location was referred to in my time, the early ‘80s.

Edit : I think before my time, indeed before the resignalling and electrification in 1960/1, there was an intermediate block signal called simply Weald Intermediate.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Newcastle going towards Middlesbrough and they show the contrast between the traditional DMU in the class 101 units to be seen in the first and last two photo’s, and their successors the class 143 Pacers. In the second photo’, at Boldon Colliery, with 143023, on 2nd April, 1986, C7355, the Pacer is on a Special service, according to the destination blind. A test run maybe.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Another set of photos on the Midland Railway line between Nottingham and Loughborough at Ratcliffe on Soar today.

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 47 1574 up March 71 J2539.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 47 15xx up March 71 J2539

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 45 St Pancras to Sheffield June 76 J5302.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 45 St Pancras to Sheffield June 76 J5302

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 45 St Pancras to Nottingham June 76 J5304.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 45 St Pancras to Nottingham June 76 J5304

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 46 down June 76 J5333.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 46 down June 76 J5333

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Clas 254 special Derby to London April 78 J5988.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 254 special Derby to London April 78 J5988

David

J2539 is either D1547 or D1575 at a guess, D1574 was never in that livery.

Mike.

J2539 is a Stones boiler fitted loco, so narrows the loco down to the D1953-61 batch which also the arrows on the cabside.

Paul J. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo’s at Ratcliffe on Soar. All so full of interest, and a vivid reminder of the heady days when the express trains were Peak hauled and mostly Mk1 carriages. In J5304, with a class 45 on a St Pancras to Nottingham service, in June, 1976, on the left, between the tracks is a white post with something on top. I can’t quite make out what it is, even on enlarging the photo’. I wonder if anyone knows what it is?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo’s at Ratcliffe on Soar. All so full of interest, and a vivid reminder of the heady days when the express trains were Peak hauled and mostly Mk1 carriages. In J5304, with a class 45 on a St Pancras to Nottingham service, in June, 1976, on the left, between the tracks is a white post with something on top. I can’t quite make out what it is, even on enlarging the photo’. I wonder if anyone knows what it is?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It's not there on earlier or later photos so I think it may be for either the beginning "C" or end "T" marker for a temporary speed restriction applying to the down goods line.

David

J2539 is a Stones boiler fitted loco, so narrows the loco down to the D1953-61 batch which also the arrows on the cabside.

Paul J.

They were the ones that came from Brush in that number/emblem combination before it was decided that the arrows of indecision really were too big for the cabside. The numbers were also applied lower on the bodyside than usual.

I only ever saw one (1957) at Sheffield Midland in the early '70s.

Edited by leopardml2341

Paul J. 

Most likely 1960 or 1961, both of which were Toton (D16 Nottingham Division) based locos at that time and frequent performers on the Midland main line. The earlier ones in that batch were all allocated to Crewe (D05 Stoke Division).

It's not there on earlier or later photos so I think it may be for either the beginning "C" or end "T" marker for a temporary speed restriction applying to the down goods line.

David

By 1976, the "C" board, and the warning board for it (not in the photo), would have shown a number indicating the speed of the restriction. The "T" board would have stayed "T", as is the case today.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

They were the ones that came from Brush in that number/emblem combination before it was decided that the arrows of indecision really were too big for the cabside. The numbers were also applied lower on the bodyside than usual.

I only ever saw one (1957) at Sheffield Midland in the early '70s.

post-5471-0-76639600-1539256969_thumb.jpg

Just for you Andy.

D1960. 22.8.70.

Mike.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's of Exeter St. David's from June, 1979. In particular J6508, of 08288 on a freight train from the Southern Region. It must have been a warm day with the cab door being open, and it's quite a lengthy train too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll find that the unit is a 118.  The top of the headcode box is curved.

Chris

Many thanks Chris.

I still can't identify dmus - I don't think I'll ever get them right.

J6510 is 47549

Many thanks for the identification Andrew.

David

Today we have Birmingham New Street in 1979 and Silk Mill Junction in 1966.

Once again they are some of Dad's photos. He took the Birmingham photos while on his way to a business meeting in Exeter.

The 1966 photos were taken on the way either to or from a holiday in Appledore, North Devon to stay with some friends and go sailing. They are probably the only photos I have of hydraulics in BR service which I haven't posted earlier in this thread.

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 42 D827 Kelly down Aug 66 J577.jpg

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 42 D827 Kelly down Aug 66 J577

David

Not D827, which means we have a Spot-the-Warship contest - yippee!

I go for D842 Royal Oak, seen at Reading in 1969 in the photo below.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6108/6310136322_6c94fdcb16_b.jpg

I'm giving this a bump because caption still reads D827. There are two good reasons why this is not correct:

1. The number is clearly D84-something.

2. D827 was never maroon!

No criticism of Dave intended.