Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Cramlington again today.

The town hasn't moved since we last had photographs taken there, it is still on the ECML between Newcastle and Morpeth.

attachicon.gifCramlington 47538 WBHS Morpeth to Blaenau Ffestiniog 19th April 86 C7439.jpg

Cramlington 47538 WBHS Morpeth to Blaenau Ffestiniog 19th April 86 C7439

attachicon.gifCramlington Class 101 up ecs 5th July 85 C6972.jpg

Cramlington Class 101 up ecs 5th July 85 C6972

attachicon.gifCramlington 27017 hauling 47527 up 5th July 85 C6979.jpg

Cramlington 27017 hauling 47527 up 5th July 85 C6979

attachicon.gifCramlington Class 254 down 27th Dec 84 C6668.jpg

Cramlington Class 254 down 27th Dec 84 C6668

attachicon.gifCramlington Class 254 up 6th July 85 C7087.jpg

Cramlington Class 254 up 6th July 85 C7087

David

Always enjoy seeing your shots around my hometown of Crammy. Cheers for posting as always.

And there was me just thinking it was time for another fix of ironstone country!

What an amazing sight Harringworth viaduct must have been to the local population when first built.

If you have any other photographic souvenirs of the ironstone quarry lines and quarries themselves here's one soul who will be very pleased to see them!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

And there was me just thinking it was time for another fix of ironstone country!

What an amazing sight Harringworth viaduct must have been to the local population when first built.

If you have any other photographic souvenirs of the ironstone quarry lines and quarries themselves here's one soul who will be very pleased to see them!

Tony

There are still some more to come, mainly around the High Dyke branch.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Leicestershire and Northamptonshire photo’s. A great set, and full of atmosphere. What a delightful and imposing sight Harringworth viaduct makes in those last two photo’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Just back from 3 weeks in Canada - learned a lot about Canadian railways - like just because a line has vegetation sprouting between the sleepers doesn't mean it's disused...

Spent a good part of an hour catching up, just one bit of additional info I can impart - Swanwick Class 205 Portsmouth Harbour to Southampton July 79 J6536 [bottom of page 567], from the running number on the DTC the 3H is no. 1126.

As always great sets of pictures posted. Many thanks, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo's from Northumberland. A great set of photo's, and the first one of a class 101 unit at Longhirst, on a Newcastle to Alnmouth service, in February, 1980, reminds me that not all 101's had been refurbished by 1980. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J6791 - what would the cluster of gas bottles be doing at the lineside?

I think they were for the point heaters just beyond the signal at Butterwell Junction.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today’s photo’s from Shildon, Bishops Auckland and Weardale which are full of interest. In the last photo’ at Eastgate, looking westwards, on the 23rd, May, 1987, I’m struck by how restricted the bridge appears to be and I wonder if full size trains could safely get through it without having cut down cabs etc.,

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today’s photo’s from Shildon, Bishops Auckland and Weardale which are full of interest. In the last photo’ at Eastgate, looking westwards, on the 23rd, May, 1987, I’m struck by how restricted the bridge appears to be and I wonder if full size trains could safely get through it without having cut down cabs etc.,

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It had clearance for ordinary stock.

If that building is Frosterley station it is just crying out to be modelled, with Shildon tunnel leading to the fiddle yard.

Great photos.

Jonathan

It is indeed the station.  Sadly Shildon tunnel is quite a distance away but I know what you mean.

So the sidings on C6928 are now the location of Locomotion.

I knew there was something I'd forgotten to put in the caption.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Birmingham New Street and Taunton Silk Mill photo’s. They are all full of interest, and I particularly like the last one of D1007, Western Talisman, on a Penzance to Birmingham train in August, 1966. The Western makes a most impressive sight at the head of that long train of maroon Mk1 carriages.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Today we have Birmingham New Street in 1979 and Silk Mill Junction in 1966.

Once again they are some of Dad's photos. He took the Birmingham photos while on his way to a business meeting in Exeter.

The 1966 photos were taken on the way either to or from a holiday in Appledore, North Devon to stay with some friends and go sailing. They are probably the only photos I have of hydraulics in BR service which I haven't posted earlier in this thread.

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 42 D827 Kelly down Aug 66 J577.jpg

Taunton Silk Mill crossing Class 42 D827 Kelly down Aug 66 J577

David

Not D827, which means we have a Spot-the-Warship contest - yippee!

I go for D842 Royal Oak, seen at Reading in 1969 in the photo below.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6108/6310136322_6c94fdcb16_b.jpg

J6681 Headcode 8 was normally the CX-Sevenoaks-Tonbridge and all stations to Ashford services (other stops between CX and Tonbridge too).

Weald would be Sevenoaks tunnel south end - the current OS map has it as "Sevenoaks Weald". Knole Park is up over on the right (out of sight).

• RMweb Gold

J6681 Headcode 8 was normally the CX-Sevenoaks-Tonbridge and all stations to Ashford services (other stops between CX and Tonbridge too).

Weald would be Sevenoaks tunnel south end - the current OS map has it as "Sevenoaks Weald". Knole Park is up over on the right (out of sight).

Thanks very much, it's so long since I've been round there that I was no longer quite sure exactly where it was.

David

• Like 1