Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sewstern and Market Overton photo’s which are full of interest. In the first one, at Sewstern, the class 03, D2381, with the Flying Scotsman spare boiler, in July, 1973, looks so smart and shiny in what must be a new coat of paint. But in J4054 you can see how it has weathered a bit but still looks very smart. I don’t think the Smith Rodley steam crane at Market Overton, in C1417, in October, 1973, will get modelled by Bachmann like a bigger and more well known one has been. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stentor said:

I found this website which gives a bit more background to the visit of the Scotsman to the Sewstern branch in October 1973.

http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/recording-the-railway/grantham-railway-galleries/flying-scotsmans-stopover-at-grantham/

There are some shots of “the well informed admirers” which might feature you Dave.

//Simon

Simon,

Thanks for the link.

I was indeed a "well informed admirer".  Dad managed the ex British Steel lines and Sewstern workshops for the Buckminster Estate so not only did we know everything that was going on but Dad held the keys to the level crossings for the ex British Steel lines as well as having to give his permission for all train movements!

The original plan was to operate a preserved railway over the British Steel lines  and the High Dyke branch, Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle were to be based at Market Overton and would access BR at High Dyke Junction to work specials.

Sadly Flying Scotsman, Pendennis Castle, D2381 and much of the stock ended up at Carnforth as it was not possible to proceed with the plan for various reasons I will not go into here.  Suffice it to say that the plan was sound but there were insurmountable problems regarding access to BR, finanace and taxation issues and so on - you may know what it was like in the early 70s.  It was also planned to relay the ex Midland Railway line to give a connection to BR at Saxby Junction, indeed some tracklaying was done.

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Now for today's BR photos - once again later than usual as I was involved in something else this afternoon.

The photos are once again taken along the ECML in Northumberland.

The photos are in order from south to north.  The first four show the nice empty Northumberland countryside quite near the coast.

728781474_Longhirst56114upcoalexButterwell28thNov87C9283.jpg.0176d994073920e77c1d9835455b4df1.jpg

Longhirst 56114 up coal ex Butterwell 28th Nov 87 C9283.jpg

501220318_BustonBarns47302upICIGrangemouthtoHavertonHill22ndDec87C9301.jpg.570c3363e6d13e1f7faca933fe7c6772.jpg

Buston Barns 47302 up ICI Grangemouth to Haverton Hill 22nd Dec 87 C9301.jpg

195389676_AlnmouthClass47EdinburghtoKingsXAug81J7567.jpg.e4b1ec3a94a39b4d17416867a9139c22.jpg

Alnmouth Class 47 Edinburgh to Kings X Aug 81 J7567.jpg

1080314538_LittleMillClass254upApril83C6030.jpg.674b6ad1acb4c17c8cb869cb189b3c02.jpg

Little Mill Class 254 up April 83 C6030.jpg   Taken from the roadside at the level crossing.

2072502532_BerwickonTweedClass253upworkingwrongline28thJune87C8564.jpg.6b444a67170f84ffdc09b290974619b3.jpg

Berwick on Tweed Class 253 up working wrong line 28th June 87 C8564.jpg

David

Hi Dave,

C8564 is so atmospheric and full of detail; redundant sleepers and rails, what looks like a single wagon (but could be more) in the sidings in the distance, 3 poles for sidings lighting, quite a few displaced troughing lids, an OLE base with the polystyrene centre former still in-situ, redundant platform and water stand-pipe and hose, signals, locs, point machines and of course track and a train! A brilliant composition!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s. They are all full of interest and I particularly like J7567, at Alnmouth, with a class 47 on a service to Kings Cross, from Edinburgh, in August, 1981. The viaduct looks so natural in the landscape with the train running over it. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've yet to see someone weather an IC125 power car with those typical exhaust stains. And then at Alnmouth we once again see back to front brake coaches, not 1, but 2 in the same train. Great photos as per usual.

Back to Wednesday, a typo crept in on C9105.jpg where 47346 is the loco in question. Right finger faster than left? I suffer from that myself sometimes.....

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

I've yet to see someone weather an IC125 power car with those typical exhaust stains. And then at Alnmouth we once again see back to front brake coaches, not 1, but 2 in the same train. Great photos as per usual.

Back to Wednesday, a typo crept in on C9105.jpg where 47346 is the loco in question. Right finger faster than left? I suffer from that myself sometimes.....

Regards,

Dave

Thanks for the number correction.

That was one of the few days when I actually checked the photo and the caption matched.

I've known for a long time that I can't proof read on a screen.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iands said:

Hi Dave,

C8564 is so atmospheric and full of detail; redundant sleepers and rails, what looks like a single wagon (but could be more) in the sidings in the distance, 3 poles for sidings lighting, quite a few displaced troughing lids, an OLE base with the polystyrene centre former still in-situ, redundant platform and water stand-pipe and hose, signals, locs, point machines and of course track and a train! A brilliant composition!

And on the extreme right an old NER yard lamp post (I think it is), with step rungs made from crossbars attached to the post, which was still there a couple of weeks ago. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Plawsworth photo’s of the ECML. The last one of class 47, 47660 on an up service on the 26th October, 1987, has seven Mk1’s with a CK leading. That carriage must be at the front since it’s the only one with first class in it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from between Newcastle and Morpeth. They are all very interesting. In C9443, at Cramlington, with a class 101 DMU, cars 51522 and 51250, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, on the 13th April, 1988, you can see the headlight and it’s positioning. The position could vary. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from between Newcastle and Morpeth. They are all very interesting. In C9443, at Cramlington, with a class 101 DMU, cars 51522 and 51250, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, on the 13th April, 1988, you can see the headlight and it’s positioning. The position could vary. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The S803 set number suggests that at least the nearest car is not long from Swansea (Landore). There was quite some reshuffling of first generation DMUs at that time as Sprinterisation took hold, and the occasional delays/problems with the introduction of the new units.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s which are so full of interest. In particular in J7536 at Bottesford, with 20070 and a second class 20 on a Leicester to Skegness extra train in August, 1981, it’s interesting to see the sand ejected from the sandbox on the rear bogie of 20070. Indeed from the look of it, it seems to be going straight down instead of onto the rail. A fault maybe?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s which are so full of interest. In particular in J7536 at Bottesford, with 20070 and a second class 20 on a Leicester to Skegness extra train in August, 1981, it’s interesting to see the sand ejected from the sandbox on the rear bogie of 20070. Indeed from the look of it, it seems to be going straight down instead of onto the rail. A fault maybe?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Looks as though the pipe's been broken off; on the other end of the bogie, the sand-pipe seems to come down almost to rail level.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The class 20s in J7536 and J7991:

J7536:  20 070 was paired with 20 075 at the beginning of August 1981 and appeared on the "Jolly Fisherman" up until 5th of the month. It reappeared from 22nd, on several occasions, each time paired with 20 087.

J7991:  20 183 appeared numerous times during July 1983, each time paired with 20 187.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Lift and slide, it's only pressed.

Mike.

Clever clogs......

Edit .....but how would a fat bloke get down it?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I had no idea there was a Dudley in Northumberland, despite having been to the area a few times. It is my surname, of course, but it may also give me a new clue. When my father died in 1982, we dug out his birth certificate, and discovered he had changed his name, by due legal process, in 1938. His birth surname was Salkeld, and he grew up in and around Newcastle, but came south in the 1930s to London, and never contacted his family again. Holidays at Seahouses were mentioned, as well as being run out of Warkworth by an angry father, so perhaps Dudley was another location he knew.  Thanks, Dave!

• Thanks 1

On 24/04/2019 at 15:24, DaveF said:

Photos at York from 1979, 1986 and 1987 today.

I've always enjoyed visiting York station, though in the days of slide film it wasn't always possible to photograph every train - several times I had to buy extra film while I was there.

In film days the station bookstall usually stocked slide film.

I'm not sure I'd want to travel from York to Manchester in a Class 142.

1937365904_York47491NewcastletoKingsX3rdAug86C7865.jpg.0e260205e33b7a7875576c7a3efad93c.jpg

York 47491 Newcastle to Kings X 3rd Aug 86 C7865

David

Bit late to the party on this one.  I suspect that may be an NE/SW service as the coaches carry a "W" prefix.

• Thanks 1