Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carnforth photo’s. They show, in the first one in particular, how, apart from more soot and oil, how it was in an operating MPD in steam days. And also how varied the locomotives were back in those days. 

The York photo’s are as delightful as ever, and in C7655, with a class 110 DMU,  51842, 59647, 51812, with the centre car a class 127 TSL, on a Scarborough to York service on the 28th July, 1986,  you have one of the more remarkable hybrid units to operate in the York area.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Congratulations on a belated fifth anniversary. The time has flown by! And please keep the lovely photo’s coming.

Today’s photo’s are delightful and in J7002 at Grantham, with class 114/2 DMBS, number E50045, on a Grantham to Nottingham train in  July, 1980, you can see cups of tea in the cab and a dent, which has been poorly plated over, on the drivers side of the cab.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

5 years and still going strong, i know im not the only one whos first port of call on here is to see what fantastic images appear each day.

As ever, thanks for posting Dave, long may it continue.

All the best

James

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

The hours that I spend on here, not only looking at the latest photographs but also looking back at other postings from the last five years. A complete joy. Thank you once again for the time that you invest in showing us your (and your Dad's) wonderful collection of images. They slightly predate my own photographs, although some of them overlap with the period when I was taking monochrome photographs on an old box Brownie and later colour images on a Halina 35mm SLR, so it's great to see many pictures from around the early 70s from the period that I remember well but wasn't photographing extensively, before I moved on to more advanced hardware!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo’s with  the  ECML. They are full of interest, and in the last one at Morpeth, with a class 101 DMU on a Morpeth to Newcastle service, which is diverted by the Blyth and Tyne line on the 20th June, 1984, I think, in the gloom, I can make out a forth vehicle. I don’t think it’s the unit, for that is  a three car unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it may be the way they were painted by the Scottish Region. Haymarket I believe it was. They often, also, painted the window pans too instead of leaving them unpainted as on the other regions. I hope that is of additional help.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

I think it may be the way they were painted by the Scottish Region. Haymarket I believe it was. They often, also, painted the window pans too instead of leaving them unpainted as on the other regions. I hope that is of additional help.

Best regards,

Rob.

Glasgow works painted them like that not 64B. The window frame painting on Met Cams was unique to ScR units in blue livery, York and Doncaster used to do it.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

In that photo of Scotswood Junction, the track-less formation on the right is presumably that of the route to Blaydon? This must have closed in about 1983.

That's right.   It closed on 4th October 1982.

When that line closed it seemed very strange to have to travel along the south side of the Tyne - a longer and slower journey but it does allow the Metro Centre to have a station.

David

4 minutes ago, DaveF said:

That's right.   It closed on 4th October 1982.

When that line closed it seemed very strange to have to travel along the south side of the Tyne - a longer and slower journey but it does allow the Metro Centre to have a station.

David

Lynne moved to Tyneside in early 1982, and until late autumn, I stayed back in the Midlands to finish off a couple of projects. One of these was in Crewe, so I used to travel up via Carlisle, thence to Newcastle. In 1983, we moved to Clara Vale, and the bus from the village used to travel along Scotswood Road, parallel to the railway. Jobling-Purser (later Colas) had a bitumen terminal at a location somewhat optimistically called 'Paradise', just by the bridge where the road went under the railway.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from around Newcastle which are as full of interest as ever. In particular, that’s a good portrait of an HST power car, at Newcastle, number 43051, on a Newcastle to Kings Cross service on the 1st September, 1987, in C9086. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Lynne moved to Tyneside in early 1982, and until late autumn, I stayed back in the Midlands to finish off a couple of projects. One of these was in Crewe, so I used to travel up via Carlisle, thence to Newcastle. In 1983, we moved to Clara Vale, and the bus from the village used to travel along Scotswood Road, parallel to the railway. Jobling-Purser (later Colas) had a bitumen terminal at a location somewhat optimistically called 'Paradise', just by the bridge where the road went under the railway.

There is also Point Pleasant (Wallsend) on the Riverside branch!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the fascinating collection of NER photo’s, which are full of interest. In particular J7298 at Roseden, on the former Alnwick to Coldstream line, in December, 1980. If what is seen in the photo’ is correct then the signal cabin was in an astonishingly well preserved condition. I am not aware of any attempt to preserve anything of that line.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the fascinating collection of NER photo’s, which are full of interest. In particular J7298 at Roseden, on the former Alnwick to Coldstream line, in December, 1980. If what is seen in the photo’ is correct then the signal cabin was in an astonishingly well preserved condition. I am not aware of any attempt to preserve anything of that line.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Well it's still there - see attached. Already by the time of the photo it has curtains so appears to have been taken over by the adjoining householder. Perhaps it's a model railway room!

Roseden.jpg.cb2a47ebb317b0145a73b56a3901e483.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1