Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

The shots on the Blyth and Tyne  are interesting especially reading of the ongoing campaign to reopen it ,are they any nearer to putting passengers back?

I understand Northumberland County Council have agreed to fund a study, to look at costs and possible usage.

The council wold like to see it reopened.

There are some details on the council website.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Possibly the TSO was locked out of use being moved to a depot where it was needed, or an extra due to peak traffic. It looks outside the standard formation tacked on the rake like that.

Seems to be missing an FO and possibly a BSO at the other end. The previous photo is also interesting in that the only Mk3 coach in that set is the catering vehicle.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

I understand Northumberland County Council have agreed to fund a study, to look at costs and possible usage.

The council wold like to see it reopened.

There are some details on the council website.

David

Let's hope that it doesn't take as long as the protracted Portishead branch saga...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2019 at 21:34, Davexoc said:

I was thinking that too. One blue spectacle and one green, but neither lit or shielded from being backlit, so presumably only used in daylight hours??

I believe this signal came from Liverpool Riverside, the signal box (more of a hut) which Steamport had at the time was certainly from there.

It was in the Liverpool Dock system and therefore not under the normal rules and regs, it's probably also had a replacement spectacle fitted

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, iands said:

J7947: Looks like concrete sleepers in the wagons - presumably from Tallington?

I would think so.

David

The fact that you and your Dad photographed everything is what makes this topic so wonderful David; The everyday railway, commonplace at the time but long gone now, was recorded. Many thanks again. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s which are full of interest as always. In the first one at Bottesford, with a class 104 DMU, on a Grantham to Nottingham service, in November, 1980, J7290, you can see how the first class is designated. The DMCL has the first class window stickers, but no yellow stripe above the two windows, whereas the TCL has the stickers and the stripe. I feel some passengers may well have been caught out by this inconsistency.

I recall my father asking a porter on Brighton station where the first class was and being advised to look out for the yellow stripe. That unit was a 4BIG, EMU.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s which are full of interest as always. In the first one at Bottesford, with a class 104 DMU, on a Grantham to Nottingham service, in November, 1980, J7290, you can see how the first class is designated. The DMCL has the first class window stickers, but no yellow stripe above the two windows, whereas the TCL has the stickers and the stripe. I feel some passengers may well have been caught out by this inconsistency.

I recall my father asking a porter on Brighton station where the first class was and being advised to look out for the yellow stripe. That unit was a 4BIG, EMU.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The DTCL has got the yellow strip it just doesn't stand out very clearly, the destination brackets show signs of yellow.

• Thanks 1

J7741:  20 077 appears to have only worked once in September 1982, on Saturday 18th, when it was paired with 20 016. They worked 1E86, 08:50 Leicester - Skegness, and 1M02, 12:35 return.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from Darlington. They are as interesting as ever, and bring the memories flooding back. Thank you for posting them. In the last photo’ at Low Fell, with 47600, on an up light engine movement from the Carlisle line, on the 28th May, 1988, the crossover at the rear of the 47 appears to be out of use with some replacement rail in place. I wonder, for I cannot recall, if the complete crossover was subsequently lifted?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Market65 said:

.... the crossover at the rear of the 47 appears to be out of use with some replacement rail in place. I wonder, for I cannot recall, if the complete crossover was subsequently lifted?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It might just be that the 'common crossing' had developed a fault that required that half of the cross-over to be plain-lined whilst a replacement was sourced. From my time on the signalling at York in the mid 70s, I remember being told by a supervisor that the common crossings had to be made specially, and therefore were expensive, and it couldn't be justified to hold any in the as spares in the stores. As the GPL is still "lit" (and not bagged over/white cross), the EP point machines and valve chests still in-situ, I think it likely the plain-lining is a temporary "maintenance fix" rather than a prelude to taking the cross-over out altogether. However, the cross-over might well have been removed a few years later during the Tyneside resignalling scheme.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, iands, that makes good sense. I didn’t know the common crossings were so expensive, and most probably accounts for some of the Beechng era closures where track costs were mentioned.

So the photo’s of Hougham, on the ECML, Dave, are all full of interest, and bring back yet more memories. The two photo’s of HST’s starting with one on a down service in June 82, J7658, and the next one from September, 1981, J7582, are from early in the trains career and today that is now nearly finished as the class 800’s takeover more services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

Is this a photo of the worlds fastest Not To Board?

I'd never noticed it before in that photo (J6326).

Is it more likely to be someone hanging a red cloth or something out of a window?

I really don't know.

David

On 15/05/2019 at 15:20, DaveF said:

Today's photos head in a northerly direction along the ECML from Darlington.

1199596309_Darlington37079and370023rdMay87C8520.jpg.ae29551437da86b423870c8c8d8dd59f.jpg

Darlington 37079 and 37003 23rd May 87 C8520

1374442203_AycliffeClass47NewcastletoKingsXAug76J5386.jpg.645668c06cd0c93ac76818e5fb9b6687.jpg

Aycliffe Class 47 Newcastle to Kings X Aug 76 J5386.jpg

1713272938_bSunderlandBridgeGNERClass822GlasgowCtoKingsX18thOct97C23145.jpg.113159c99b8f6303be758bdebadc5fb1.jpg

Sunderland Bridge GNER Class 82/2 Glasgow C to Kings X 18th Oct 97 C23145.jpg

2065491311_DurhamClass254HSTupJan83C5914.jpg.245ad939147882d606f6acbb2a0f81db.jpg

Durham Class 254 HST up Jan 83 C5914

1811171633_LowFell47600uplefromCarlisleline28thMay88C9467.jpg.a3c705dc96fd0eff200dd9bce1b6ad67.jpg

Low Fell 47600 up l e from Carlisle line 28th May 88 C9467.jpg

David

My favourite 08 is lurking in the background in the Darlington pic- Thornaby's 08 867 Ralph Easby in black (unofficially named).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Is this a photo of the worlds fastest Not To Board?

It happens. Nearly 50 years ago, in my Control days, I arrived for early turn to read that the 08.37 Horsham - Victoria would be cancelled due to the stock , 8-Cor, being “Depot Only” for worn brake-blocks. Imagine my confusion when the train ran normally - some sort of confusion at Horsham, plus a “spare day” bloke on that Area. No signals were overrun and the passengers had no idea they’d been lucky!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Market65 said:

Thank you, iands, that makes good sense. I didn’t know the common crossings were so expensive, and most probably accounts for some of the Beechng era closures where track costs were mentioned.

Hi Rob,

From memory the relatively high cost was (I think) down to the crossings being manganese and having to be cast to certain requirements/specifications. For instance, in the "web" of the crossings, holes were required to be cast (about an 1", again from memory) to take a mild steel 'plug' that could be drilled for track circuit connections ("goal posts") and bond wires, as the manganese was too hard to drill on site with the normal drills provided. If any flaws were detected (ultrasonic?) with the crossing in the manufacturing process, it was immediately scrapped and returned to the furnace for recycling.

• Thanks 1