Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Dave,

A cracking collection you have there (and here :) ). I'm liking J591 (D3801 shunting timber) - some of the banded piles look a bit dodgy, and the last one seems to have been roped down to the solebar. 

Cheers

Jan

Hi Dave,

A cracking collection you have there (and here :) ). I'm liking J591 (D3801 shunting timber) - some of the banded piles look a bit dodgy, and the last one seems to have been roped down to the solebar. 

Cheers

Jan

I'm slightly intrigued by the shot of the 08 "shunting" those wagons. It appears to be on a running line, no sign of any sidings, without a brake van. Granted all the wagons are fitted but up until the 1980s, I didn't think it was permitted for guards to ride in the same cab as the driver on fully fitted trains?

I'm slightly intrigued by the shot of the 08 "shunting" those wagons. It appears to be on a running line, no sign of any sidings, without a brake van. Granted all the wagons are fitted but up until the 1980s, I didn't think it was permitted for guards to ride in the same cab as the driver on fully fitted trains?

The Old Castle Crossing to Llandeilo Jct trips (often composed of 30+ Twin-Bolsters or Bolster E) always ran without a brake behind a 350hp shunter in the late 1960s.

I wonder where that timber's going to/coming from? I recollect there being a large timber yard about where the GNR line left the main line.

• RMweb Gold

I also like J588, the one of the 8F, on the same date, with, I think, D211 in the background.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

I don't think it is D211, unless it's had a quick ride on a turntable.....

I wonder what the sign said that we can see the rear of? Announcing the WCML electrification perhaps?

Excellent photos.

• RMweb Premium

The relevant local Sectional Appendix would have a section listing where it was permitted to run trains without a brake van and any conditions attached to those workings (might be table J, can't find mine to check)

I'm slightly intrigued by the shot of the 08 "shunting" those wagons. It appears to be on a running line, no sign of any sidings, without a brake van. 

I wonder where that timber's going to/coming from? I recollect there being a large timber yard about where the GNR line left the main line.

The timber is most likely to be from Henry Venables' siding to the North of the station (in between the LNWR and GNR lines) on the Up side. Dave's shot (from the Wolverhampton Road bridge) shows the 08 and opens on the road into the reception loops from the Wolverhampton route on the Down side. It could have run around in the long loop down to Rickerscote rather than having to cross all of the lines in the vicinity of the station if it were a busy period.

• RMweb Premium

There were fairly extensive sidings the other side of the bridge which the photo was taken from. The train is on the Wolverhampton line, or possibly a loop off it. It might be setting back onto the W'ton line to cross over to the sidings and Goods shed on the up side of the main line.

• RMweb Gold

The relevant local Sectional Appendix would have a section listing where it was permitted to run trains without a brake van and any conditions attached to those workings (might be table J, can't find mine to check)

I've got a copy of the 1980 sectional appendix.

Working of trains without a brake van in the rear:

From Stafford No.4 to Stafford No5 signal boxes.  on Down slow, No3 and 6 platforms and down goods.  

Trains may also be propelled on these lines and on the down fast without a brake van

From Stafford No5 to No4 up slow, platforms 1 and 6.

Trains may also be propelled o these lines without a brake van.

I don't know what it said in the sectional appendix current at the time the photos were taken.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some photos from the Kent and East Sussex Railway in the 70s for this afternoon.

post-5613-0-92300200-1420384522_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton & No 26 leaving Sept 78 C4148

post-5613-0-48269000-1420384527_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Bank Hunslet 24 Willam Austen and Terrier 10 Sutton climbing to Tenterden Sept 78 C4150

post-5613-0-72397200-1420384531_thumb.jpg

Rolvenden Manning Wardle and whelbarrows Aug 75 C2402

post-5613-0-04618600-1420384535_thumb.jpg

Rolvenden Manning Wardle ex S&L Aug 75 C2386

post-5613-0-17728000-1420384539_thumb.jpg

Rolvenden Terrier 3 Bodiam Aug 75  We had to stop 3 times for steam on the climb to Tenterden! Aug 75 C2416

post-5613-0-82257200-1420384542_thumb.jpg

Wittersham Road Terrier 10 Sutton running round Sept 77 C3548

David

• Like 16

A mix of steam, diesel and electric on a visit to Stafford in August 1966 for this evening.

attachicon.gifStafford Class 85 Holyhead to Euston Aug 66_J586.jpg

Stafford Class 85 Holyhead to Euston Aug 66_J586

attachicon.gifStafford LMS 8F 2-8-0 48526 down light engine &Class 40 Aug 66_J588.jpg

Stafford LMS 8F 2-8-0 48526 down light engine &Class 40 Aug 66_J588

attachicon.gifStafford Class 08 D3801 shunting timber Aug 66_J591.jpg

Stafford Class 08 D3801 shunting timber Aug 66_J591

attachicon.gifStafford Class 40 D211 Mauretania down freight Aug 66_J592.jpg

Stafford Class 40 D211 Mauretania down freight Aug 66_J592

attachicon.gifStafford Class 86 E3174 Euston to Glasgow Aug 66_J595.jpg

Stafford Class 86 E3174 Euston to Glasgow Aug 66_J595

David

I suspect E3174 is not on a Glasgow service.  I can't read the headcode properly but it doesn't look like 1Sxx to me but more like 1Hxx (which would be Manchester).  Another thing that makes me doubt it is the Mk2 stock in the train which at the time of the shot was much more likely to appear on a Manchester/Liverpool rather than a Glasgow.

I've got a copy of the 1980 sectional appendix.

Working of trains without a brake van in the rear:

From Stafford No.4 to Stafford No5 signal boxes.  on Down slow, No3 and 6 platforms and down goods.  

Trains may also be propelled on these lines and on the down fast without a brake van

From Stafford No5 to No4 up slow, platforms 1 and 6.

Trains may also be propelled o these lines without a brake van.

I don't know what it said in the sectional appendix current at the time the photos were taken.

David

The 1960 Sectional Appendix shows:

Stafford No. 1 to Stafford No. 4 on the down fast and slow

Stafford No. 1 to "Stop and Await Instructions Board", down Salop sidings on Nos. 1 and 2 down through sidings

Stafford No. 4 to Stafford No. 1 on up fast, slow and goods loop

Stafford No. 4 to Stafford No. 5 on down fast and slow and Nos. 4 and 6 platforms

Stafford No. 5 to Stafford No. 4 on up fast and slow and Nos. 1 and 6 platforms

There is also a local instruction permitting trains of up to 12 wagons, in clear weather only, to be propelled between Stafford No. 1 and Cox, Long importers siding at Bickerscote.

All these is Greek to me as I'm not at all familiar with Stafford, but hopefully it means something to someone!

Regards,

David B

• RMweb Gold

I suspect E3174 is not on a Glasgow service.  I can't read the headcode properly but it doesn't look like 1Sxx to me but more like 1Hxx (which would be Manchester).  Another thing that makes me doubt it is the Mk2 stock in the train which at the time of the shot was much more likely to appear on a Manchester/Liverpool rather than a Glasgow.

Thanks for this information.  I quite often wonder how accurate the destinations are when I am writing captions, particularly when they are Dad's photos as I have nothing to go on except his notes, which are not infallible (just like mine in fact).

I've just looked at one of my black and white photos taken of the train, the headcode is 1H36, so it is Manchester, I've amended the caption.

Before anyone asks to see that image you can't as I sold the negative, with copyright yeas ago!

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

J4191 above; fifth vehicle and last vehicle have yellow ends - now I wonder what they are?

Last vehicle also seems to have a headcode box.....

They look like Glasgow Edinburgh DMU cars

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Fascinating photo's. I like those of the Kent and East Sussex Railway. Then, at Clay Cross in photo' J4191, I also like seeing the carriages in the train of condemned coaching stock - those at the rear in question are DMU vehicles - I first thought possibly class 120. In C2848, at Westhouses, July, 1976, you can see how the 45 is working hard, with some good hazy exhaust effects.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

They look like Glasgow Edinburgh DMU cars

Yes I agree, vehicles 5-9 look like Class 126 gangwayed power cars, which had the brake section behind the cab. The 10th looks like a non-gangwayed power car from the same class. Vehicle no. 4 is trickier - it seems to have a different body profile than the Mk1 coaches, a long stepboard and 6 windows without an intermediate door. Perhaps a Cl. 126 buffet car?

With the E-W 126's going out of service in 1971/2, they must have been hanging around for quite a while....

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Yes I agree, vehicles 5-9 look like Class 126 gangwayed power cars, which had the brake section behind the cab. The 10th looks like a non-gangwayed power car from the same class. Vehicle no. 4 is trickier - it seems to have a different body profile than the Mk1 coaches, a long stepboard and 6 windows without an intermediate door. Perhaps a Cl. 126 buffet car?

With the E-W 126's going out of service in 1971/2, they must have been hanging around for quite a while....

Think your right about it being a buffet. It does seem quite late for them to be sent for scrap, there are pictures of them stored at Wymondham awaiting breaking at king's

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Yes they are CKs, with first ends leading. Viewing again, I now think the full consist is

25+3xCK+126 iDMBS+126 iDMS+126 TC (or TF)+2x126 iDMS+126 iDMS+126 DMBS

with "i" being the intermediate Driving Motors, with gangways. The long footboard on the fourth vehicle indicates the position of the brake/guard section.