Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

This morning I spent a short time at Ulgham Lane crossing and Longhirst, both north of Morpeth on the ECML.

attachicon.gifUlgham Lane crossing 66716 down l e 14th Jan 2015.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 66716 down l e 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5081

attachicon.gifUlgham Lane crossing 91 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5084.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 91 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5084

attachicon.gifUlgham Lane crossing 221 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5086.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 221 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5086

attachicon.gifUlgham Lane crossing 43315 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5087.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 43315 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5087

attachicon.gifLonghirst Class 221 down in snow shower 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5093.jpg

Longhirst Class 221 down in snow shower 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5093

attachicon.gifLonghirst 66230 up freight 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5099.jpg

Longhirst 66230 up freight 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5099

attachicon.gifLonghirst 66230 up freight 14th Jan 2015DSC_5100.jpg

Longhirst 66230 up freight 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5100

A mix of bogie and 4 wheel wagons.

David

I love that 66 in EWS livery.

And I don't do modern image!

Regards,

Roy Marshall

• RMweb Premium

Interesting shots of a long gone aspect of railway working - ferries. When did these pass into history? I can just about remember the Windermere steamers with the arrows of indesicion on them in what must have been the early '80's.

I bet the railway land at Tilbury is now either yuppy flats or a giant Tescos......

Andy g

Our educational cruise in 1967, which started from Immingham (illustrated much earlier) finished at Tilbury. So these photos of Riverside station illustrate where I was almost 50 years ago.

We caught the special train for Lincolnshire which reached the ECML via the curve from the NLL at Finsbury Park, and most of our parents were lined up at Grantham to welcome their little terrors back after almost a fortnight away. A strengthened DMU formation was in the bay for connections to Sleaford and Boston, and other parents were waiting there.

This was a quiet Sunday afternoon, but unfortunately the driver had other ideas and raced through the station at 70mph, with hundreds looking out through the Mk1 windows thinking "that looked like Grantham, shouldn't we have stopped there?".

There followed a sudden brake application and we stopped somewhere near Peascliff. Initially we were told that we would be reversing back into the station, but apparently that was vetoed. Off we went again and stopped at Newark where we were all told to get off and cross the footbridge to the up platform, and await the next southbound train which would be stopped specially.

Now you might think that I am making this up, but the next up train just happened to be the Sunday version of the Flying Scotsman and after a while a Deltic came into view and stopped. The platform was full with 300 (approx) schoolkids, unlike the 1st class carriages which stopped by where I was standing. We all piled in and filled the train, much to the obvious annoyance of the upmarket passengers who had not only had a station stop added that should not be there, but had their quiet and restful first class experience ruined by us and our large amounts of luggage. Then to compound their unusual experience, the Scotsman stopped again at Grantham, where we all departed.

I wonder how many claims for refunds were received by BRB that following week?

• Like 8

Interesting shots of a long gone aspect of railway working - ferries. When did these pass into history? I can just about remember the Windermere steamers with the arrows of indesicion on them in what must have been the early '80's.

I bet the railway land at Tilbury is now either yuppy flats or a giant Tescos......

Andy g

I lived in Grays from 1995-2004 and still go back to the area occasionally. This area was not ripe for any 'yuppification' and although Riverside station closed I believe much of the track was used for freight, a cruise terminal opened, the road layout was modified and some indistrial units erected. Not sure what is happening currently.

We lived at the top of the first hill beyond the marshy land Tilbury was built on and had a fantastic view of the shipping coming up river to the port. I can also remember going into Riverside station when it was still open and being the only one there, had a similar experience at Broad Street.

I used the ferry to go to a large railway exhibition that was held in Gravesend for a few years with my father around 1978 and as a family we used to make an annual trip to watch the ships, go to the fort and have an ice cream. Part of my family is from nearby Horndon on the Hill and I had family spread all over this area.

As you can tell these photos brought back lots of memories. Fantastic as ever!

• Like 1

Andy g

There's still a Gravesend-Tilbury ferry, subsidised by the local councils, https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-services/tilbury-to-gravesend-ferry-service

And the Riverside station is now a cruise terminal. Here's a 2011 shot from the Gravesend side of the river, with the station and its clock tower visible in the centre. Doesn't look very yuppified to me!

post-6971-0-08910200-1421271250_thumb.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Have been away for a day, and have come back to more excellent photo's. I especially like those of Kyle Of Lochalsh and all the wonderful Scottish scenery. Today, the photo's of Tilbury Riverside are great. That last one is historical for many reasons, for it speaks of the ordinary things that were to be taken for granted all too easily back then. It is good to see the ferries as well.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

That shot of D7517, I feel David is sneaking in model shots again! The depth of field and lighting gives it away, sorry.

Nice try...

TTFN,

Ben

PS, love the thread, it's a roller coaster of emotions though, an inspirational collection!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really classic photo's of the Settle and Carlisle line tonight. I really like J713 at Helwith Bridge. It is so atmospheric with the 9F, 92076, pounding through the pouring rain, and steam everywhere! That last photo' is a real classic of Ribblehead viaduct, with an 8F pounding over it.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

The Sulzer 2 will be D7571.

Mike.

Mike,

Many thanks.  I've amended the caption and altered Dad's notes as well.  I think it's one where he took the number off the slide.

david

• RMweb Gold

Shot J713 of the 9F is just beautiful. The way that your eye is drawn to the hill in the background by the silver sky and then round to the loco through the steam from the valves is just superb. Thank you.

This evening we'll have a few photos around Tilbury.  A couple more than usual as there aren't that many trains in these photos.

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside 302245 May 80 J6912.jpg

Tilbury Riverside 302245 May 80 J6912

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside ferry Catherine April 79 C4417.jpg

Tilbury Riverside ferry Catherine April 79 C4417

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside Ferry Edith leaving for Gravesend May 77 C2737.jpg

Tilbury Riverside Ferry Edith leaving for Gravesend May 77 C2737

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside from Gravesend 18 Mar 78 C3723.jpg

Tilbury Riverside from Gravesend 18 Mar 78 C3723

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside May 80 J6911.jpg

Tilbury Riverside May 80 J6911

attachicon.gifea Tilbury Riverside PS Waverley evening 4 May 78 C3832.jpg

Tilbury Riverside PS Waverley evening 4 May 78 C3832

attachicon.gifea View west to Tilbury Riverside from Fort Road Dec 76 C3128.jpg

View west to Tilbury Riverside from Fort Road Dec 76 C3128

David

I especially like the final picture David. Nice to see someone with the eye (and imagination) to record just an ordinary everyday scene.

I agree this picture would make a fantastic background scene.

I wonder if you should consider going through the photographs and checking out ones like this and the landscapes which might have a commercial potential.

I particularly like the water scenes....they are fantastic reference.

hope you don't mind me adding this one, but you reference pictures will be very helpful when i do an update here to bed the boat in better

med_gallery_17883_2806_73827.jpg3918

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

J0863

The 8F is on a Class F freight (Express freight, ballast or empty train, unfitted) as shown by the two lamps on the smokebox top position and over the left front buffer (looking from the cab). Had it been a 'pick-up goods', there would be one lamp displayed over the left front buffer.

• RMweb Gold

J0863

The 8F is on a Class F freight (Express freight, ballast or empty train, unfitted) as shown by the two lamps on the smokebox top position and over the left front buffer (looking from the cab). Had it been a 'pick-up goods', there would be one lamp displayed over the left front buffer.

Normally I would agree with you but the train stopped, the loco uncoupled and proceeded to pick up some wagons from the up sidings, added them to the train and then proceeded southwards.

David

Edited as I misspelt my own name.

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the disagree tag, you could just have said.

Mike.

I was just going to remove the tag and let this pass but since someone chose to agree with you...

I did it for a reason, namely if someone was reading the thread and reached your post they may have thought your suggestion of D7571 was the end of the matter and not have realized it wasn't so clear cut because they did not read my post where I suggested D7577. By commenting I did have the courtesy to explain why I disagreed, which many others don't.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

The Sulzer 2 will be D7571.

Mike.

I disagree - enlarging the photo it looks more like D7577 to me.

When I enlarge the original scan I would say D7571, as the last digit does appear to be straight, not shaped as the first and third digit.

When I look at the image as it appears on RMWeb I think I would say it is either 1 or 7 at the end of the number.

Obviously the software used to display the image, and the file size can make things look different - the file size on RMWeb is a lot smaller than my original file.

Also as far as I know D7571 was allocated to Leeds Holbeck wheras D7577 was allocated to the Manchester area.

So I think D7571 is the more likely number.

It is often very hard to read numbers off images - I've been trying for many years when I have forgotten to make a note when I take the photo.  Some modern stock with tiny numbers is a nightmare to identify!

David