Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Sadly Shirebrook is not very busy these days, however a visit as part of a 'tour' of the area is well worth while. There is reasonable if rather repetitive loco (oh look, a 66) activity at Worksop.

Good 'circuits' to travel: e.g. starting at Nott'm (Midland)

Nott'm to Worksop on the Robby Nood line;

turn left and go to Sheffield and thus return to Nott'm (or wherever and however) maybe even via Derby;

turn right and go to Retford or Lincoln, then to Nott'm via various, or Barnetby (on Saturdays and then to Donny or wherever really);

turn left and go to Donny via Sheffield (no change);

turn right and go to Retford, have sniff around and then to Donny.

Return to Nott'm via loads of routes, blah, blah. You can even alight at Hucknall on the Rubbyn Dood return trip (if you go that way) and change to the jolly tram and alight at Midland; the tram through the Square is great fun.

Have fun.

P

P.S. Dave......you can do this easily but obviously start from Donny, or Sheffield or Retford or Grantham or Newark or even Peterboro'.

(As you very well know of course.........).

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sadly Shirebrook is not very busy these days, however a visit as part of a 'tour' of the area is well worth while. There is reasonable if rather repetitive loco (oh look, a 66) activity at Worksop.

Good 'circuits' to travel: e.g. starting at Nott'm (Midland)

Nott'm to Worksop on the Robby Nood line;

turn left and go to Sheffield and thus return to Nott'm (or wherever and however) maybe even via Derby;

turn right and go to Retford or Lincoln, then to Nott'm via various, or Barnetby (on Saturdays and then to Donny or wherever really);

turn left and go to Donny via Sheffield (no change);

turn right and go to Retford, have sniff around and then to Donny.

Return to Nott'm via loads of routes, blah, blah. You can even alight at Hucknall on the Rubbyn Dood return trip (if you go that way) and change to the jolly tram and alight at Midland; the tram through the Square is great fun.

Have fun.

P

P.S. Dave......you can do this easily but obviously start from Donny, or Sheffield or Retford or Grantham or Newark or even Peterboro'.

(As you very well know of course.........).

Thank you Mr Bradshaw :jester:

Mike.

C7802:

Nice pic - but what a yucky livery!

Apologies to all you Tynesiders out there.

Slightly off topic but, for the T&WPTE, IIRC the buses had coloured bands denoting their operating region or previous company allegiance?

Did the same apply to the T&WPTE sponsored rail vehicles?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Enjoyed tonight's photo's of Newcastle Central. Yes, interesting to see the T&W PTE livery in C7802, on 143024, and it certainly was a new unit about that date. In C9496, 31 403, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service on 28th May, 1988, is probably substituting for one of the failed class 143's. There were a lot of Pacer problems back then, which was soon after their initial introduction into service - engine, gearbox, and door problems all come to mind.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

The next time i come to put down ballast....I will be re looking at these photos, The variation is amazing.

And it i surprising how the light diffuses and gives such shadows and reflections....your picture from above......

I wonder if using a standing lamp you could even attempt to copy this.

post-5613-0-82581900-1421091835_thumb.jp

Lovely reference photographs, and the fact that you can place them makes them incredibly useful for reference re time period and place.

Do you have any pictures where the locos are pulling mixed livery? I.E. Older out of date or another Companies? I have taken some of modern instances, and know they must have occurred. If you have covered this and I have missed it between visits I apologise in advance.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whoaar, Newcastle man!  Whey, worra memory.  I'd love to model the Central....lottery job I suppose.  The first shot with the old Fed brewery being dismantled plucks at the Geordie heart strings.

scan0063Large.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The next time i come to put down ballast....I will be re looking at these photos, The variation is amazing.

And it i surprising how the light diffuses and gives such shadows and reflections....your picture from above......

I wonder if using a standing lamp you could even attempt to copy this.

Lovely reference photographs, and the fact that you can place them makes them incredibly useful for reference re time period and place.

Do you have any pictures where the locos are pulling mixed livery? I.E. Older out of date or another Companies? I have taken some of modern instances, and know they must have occurred. If you have covered this and I have missed it between visits I apologise in advance.

There are some photos of mixed liveries in the late 60s in a number of posts in the thread.  It's also worth looking on my flickr site which has many of these images plus several thousand more.  The link is both in my signature below and here :   https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

If you go to Albums you can look at them by area/route.

I haven't got round to working on many of my newer images which show quite a lot of mixed liveries  yet. 

There are some photos of mixed liveries in the late 60s in a number of posts in the thread.  It's also worth looking on my flickr site which has many of these images plus several thousand more.  The link is both in my signature below and here :   https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

If you go to Albums you can look at them by area/route.

I haven't got round to working on many of my newer images which show quite a lot of mixed liveries  yet. 

Thank you...I will check it out.....shall also be looking at the earlier black and whites that you mention you have of your Dads, I prefer my pictures with colour, but invariably if you want 'fashion' of clothing for figures, and subtle differences of era the black and whites of the time are useful tools. Thank you for the link. 

Excellent, interesting to see what looks like a stanier BG in blue and grey

There were quite a few scattered around, including a couple (whose numbers I didn't note) with the gangways plated over.

I notice that in the photo of the train arriving at Kyle, the open wagon is at  the rear; it's only when the train is at the other platform where it is behind the loco. To me, this suggests that the train engine is about to remove it and place it for loading/unloading.

There was some discussion on this forum fairly recently about NCL signage in remote locations; how about on the pier at Kyle? The pent-roofed building next to the unloading bank has a familiar yellow sign on it.

When were the sidings curving off to the left (which served an MoD site at one time, I believe) removed?

I would suggest that there is a period of time between the two shots at Kyle. The first one (J3317) presumably shows the train arriving, formed CCT (Mark 1), CK, SK, PMV (SR), PMV (SR), BG (Stanier), with maybe other vehicles off camera to the right. The second (J3320) shows two more Mark 1s at the bufferstops, replacing the CCT in the first shot, and an open wagon between the Stanier BG and the loco. Whether the open wagon was on the train as it arrives cannot be confirmed, but I would have thought if it was, it would have been removed prior to making up the train for the return journey.

That being said, having reviewed the arrival formation, the only place the guard had to travel in was the Stanier BG, and that is two (ungangwayed) vehicles from the passenger accommodation...

Kyle pictures from this era always seem to have lots of 12t vans and lots of parcels vans of various kinds - what was all this traffic?

I think the two former MoD sidings may have latterly been connected to pipeline construction traffic?

I've also seen pictures of pressflos, and the usual ragbag of tube/pipe opens, 16t minerals and 13t low sided opens.... a fascinating and busy place, I would like to have visited it during the early 70s.

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that there is a period of time between the two shots at Kyle. The first one (J3317) presumably shows the train arriving, formed CCT (Mark 1), CK, SK, PMV (SR), PMV (SR), BG (Stanier), with maybe other vehicles off camera to the right. The second (J3320) shows two more Mark 1s at the bufferstops, replacing the CCT in the first shot, and an open wagon between the Stanier BG and the loco. Whether the open wagon was on the train as it arrives cannot be confirmed, but I would have thought if it was, it would have been removed prior to making up the train for the return journey.

That being said, having reviewed the arrival formation, the only place the guard had to travel in was the Stanier BG, and that is two (ungangwayed) vehicles from the passenger accommodation...

My guess is that the other two Mk1s were behind the Stanier BG, and so unseen, in the first photo. In the third photo J3322 there is a BSK (where the guard probably was), with a TSO on the left and presumably the other TSO and CK on the right that are closest to the buffers in J3320. I can't believe passenger coaches were left at Kyle so could the TSO+CK pairing have been locked out of use until the return journey to Inverness when all four coaches were coupled together, although that would mean no 1st class to Kyle?

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

There wasn't long as there are only 2 images between them, as far as I know the second image of the 24 was taken as soon as it had run round and moved to the other side of the station.  Perhaps twenty minutes.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

This morning I spent a short time at Ulgham Lane crossing and Longhirst, both north of Morpeth on the ECML.

post-5613-0-29702200-1421248861_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 66716 down l e 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5081

post-5613-0-59579100-1421248842_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 91 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5084

post-5613-0-20571500-1421248850_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 221 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5086

post-5613-0-78943000-1421248855_thumb.jpg

Ulgham Lane crossing 43315 up 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5087

post-5613-0-83096200-1421248837_thumb.jpg

Longhirst Class 221 down in snow shower 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5093

post-5613-0-02069300-1421248826_thumb.jpg

Longhirst 66230 up freight 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5099

post-5613-0-71346500-1421248831_thumb.jpg

Longhirst 66230 up freight 14th Jan 2015 DSC_5100

A mix of bogie and 4 wheel wagons.

David

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see the class 24 in J3320 showing a full headcode, even if from several days previously when working in England..... The mixed train running in this period was the 0706 Dingwall to Kyle, conveying BGs, PMVs and CCTs and a CK on MSO. The return working was 1750 from Kyle, diagrammed for 9 coaches, only 4 of which has passenger accomodation. It was not unknown for fitted mineral wagons to be conveyed on occasion.